Canadian Judge rules residential schools a form of genocide

Thread: Canadian Judge rules residential schools a form of genocide

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

Default Canadian Judge rules residential schools a form of genocide

Judge calls residential schools a form of genocide | CTV News

WINNIPEG — The chairman of Canada's truth and reconciliation commission says removing more than 100,000 aboriginal children from their homes and placing them in residential schools was an act of genocide.

Justice Murray Sinclair says the United Nations defines genocide to include the removal of children based on race, then placing them with another race to indoctrinate them. He says Canada has been careful to ensure its residential school policy was not "caught up" in the UN's definition.

"That's why the minister of Indian affairs can say this was not an act of genocide," Sinclair told students at the University of Manitoba Friday. "But the reality is that to take children away and to place them with another group in society for the purpose of racial indoctrination was -- and is -- an act of genocide and it occurs all around the world."

About 150,000 First Nations, Inuit and Metis children were forced to attend the government schools over much of the last century. The last school closed outside Regina in 1996.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Canadian Judge rules residential schools a form of genocide

My problem with this is that; who says they are not treated well? REAL genocide is when they give kids guns and make them shoot people, like in Darfur and Sierra Leone.
    ---The Team---

My rare PKMN Cards:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/1470679-post31.html
    My fanfiction: http://tinyurl.com/8a9st44

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

Did you read the rest of the article? Over 25,000 people who had been students were interviewed.

Regardless, the fact that residential schools were terrible places has been known for a while.

Blog Entries

Well, I apologize then. I didn't read the rest of the article, and I wasn't under the impression that they were not good places.
    ---The Team---

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

These schools must have been horrible for children as I can see...
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by The UN's Definition of Genocide
    any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

(a) Killing members of the group;
    (b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
    (c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
    (d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
    (e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.
    Eeeeeeyup.

Blog Entries

This is all fine and dandy, but who's going to be held accountable for it all? From what I'm understanding of the article, the groups this judge is talking about are numerous and span many generations. From what I can see, he's just making noise. I doubt he'll even get an admission of wrong-doing from any member of the Canadian government, and that would be the least that could be done.

Would I be wrong in assuming that this kind of stuff has been viewed as wrong by the Canadian government and stopped, or is it still going on?

It all just seems silly to me, to be honest.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by P N N K View Post
    Well, I apologize then. I didn't read the rest of the article, and I wasn't under the impression that they were not good places.
    According to the definition of "genocide" that this is referencing, it doesn't matter whether they are good places or not.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

Well, words can be misconstrued, depending on the circumstances. But, I won't push the issue any further.
    ---The Team---

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    This is all fine and dandy, but who's going to be held accountable for it all? From what I'm understanding of the article, the groups this judge is talking about are numerous and span many generations. From what I can see, he's just making noise. I doubt he'll even get an admission of wrong-doing from any member of the Canadian government, and that would be the least that could be done.

Would I be wrong in assuming that this kind of stuff has been viewed as wrong by the Canadian government and stopped, or is it still going on?

It all just seems silly to me, to be honest.
    To answer these questions and give a little more background:
    Attending residential schools was manadatory for First Nations people from 1884 to 1948. They still existed after this until the last one closed 1998.

There have (fortunately) been ongoing efforts to reconcile, including reparations. A couple years ago a formal federal government apology was issued. This can be considered part of the process of ensuring accountability in these efforts.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

It has indeed been stopped, and this commission is part of a broad settlement on the issue reached in 2006. Along with it came a formal apology from the prime minister both for the excesses of the system and the very creation of the system (2008) as Shinobu noted. The head of the RCMP, and various other figures in the Canadian government and public institutions have also apologized for the parts played by their institutions.

The aim of the commission is not so much to punish the guilty (most of them being dead in any event), but to provide a framework for all Canadians to understand just what happened during those years, and understand how others feel about it. The same settlement that created the commission also attributed 1.9 billion to compensation to the victims, and there may be more.

The judge here isn't saying "Horrible things happened." That something horrible happened is well known and not seriously contested. What he's saying is "This is what Canada needs to know about the horrible things that happened."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Rocket Surgeon

I just wanted to add: From what I have seen being discussed, part of the ongoing reparations process for residential schools is to have a portion of grade-school social studies teach about this in Canadian schools.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

That's a good improvement over what school was like back when I was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.