Brave Women Saves Child from Being Killed By Their Father

Thread: Brave Women Saves Child from Being Killed By Their Father

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Default Brave Women Saves Child from Being Killed By Their Father

A good story of everyday heroism, where the bystander effect didn't end up applying:

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel.com
    When one talks about being in the right place at the right time, that place isn't usually a cemetery. Yet that was exactly where 21-year-old Jaymisha Pires was this weekend with a friend when she saw a man starting to slice the arms of a young boy with a sharp object. The man turned out to be 30-year-old Joseph Ramirez. He'd taken three of his kids to the San Diego cemetery that afternoon after reportedly hearing his dead grandmother's voice in his head. He began cutting up his 8-year-old son's forearms and saying, "We're going to Jesus, we're going to Jesus."

Luckily, Pires happened upon the scene, and, she says, "My motherly instincts kicked in when I saw him hurting that little boy." Pires has two young sons herself, and she ran over to Ramirez and begged him to stop. Finally he shoved his son away and fled. Pires's friend, Corey Granberry, managed to grab the boy, who was bleeding badly, and his two younger sisters. A 60-year-old security guard tackled Ramirez, who's now in police custody and facing charges of child abuse and assault with a deadly weapon. The wounded boy was taken to the hospital for treatment, but there's no word on his exact condition—though, to be sure, thanks to Pires's good timing and brave intervention, all three of the children are in much better shape than they might otherwise be.
    This story was from last night - an update on the Jezebel link says that "ABC News is reporting that the boy has been released from the hospital. Ramirez is now scheduled to be arraigned tomorrow on suspicion of attempted first-degree murder and cruelty to a child."

ETA: Ack, is there a way someone can fix my typo in the thread title here?

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Hero of the South Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Default Re: Brave Women Saves Children from Being Killed By Their Father

Thank heavens those poor children were saved. I do hope the father gets some psychiatric help, though; it seems as though he needs it.

Moon Princess Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

This is by far not the first time I've heard of parents harming/attempting to kill their children to "take them to jesus" or "protect them", so although it's amazing that this woman stepped in I still feel this man needs more help than just locking away.

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits
    ~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc. ~ Fanclub ~ alpacasso forums ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meryn View Post
    This is by far not the first time I've heard of parents harming/attempting to kill their children to "take them to jesus" or "protect them", so although it's amazing that this woman stepped in I still feel this man needs more help than just locking away.
    There's a chance that the court could rule that he should spend his prison time in a psychiatric ward rather than a jail, and will therefore get help for his illness. (I mean, if he's hearing voices that aren't there, I think it's fair to conclude he has a mental illness.) Even before it goes to trial, his attorney could request psychiatric evaluation and help.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Banana eating Gengar GengarEatBanana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thank goodness for the lady. I'd hate to think what might have happened had she not been there D:
    White FC: 2237-0577-3400
    Bulbagarden PO Server!
    P.World | N.World

Resident Nympho Princess of Lumas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Brave Women Saves Child from Being Killed By Their Father

I think the father should b in prison. Even if he had psychiatric problems, it is not right to slice up your son's body. And if he was doing it to all his children, he could be a public menace.
    Ryou Bakura, Yami Bakura, and I live together in Lief's bedroom. Back off

Bravo to that woman! I hope those kids are alright, and the guy gets some medical help. If he's fine, he should definitely go to jail.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Gata View Post
    I think the father should b in prison. Even if he had psychiatric problems, it is not right to slice up your son's body. And if he was doing it to all his children, he could be a public menace.
    If he's declared not guilty by reason of insanity, he doesn't get to just walk away; he'll basically be spending his sentence in a psych ward rather than a jail, just as isolated from the public and from his children and unable to go out and commit more crimes. So it's not like "getting him psychological treatment" and "keeping him off the streets" are mutually exclusive.

The insanity defense is one of the big areas where crime shows and movies get the facts wrong. Not only does it not mean you'll "go free" - so people looking for that outcome wouldn't choose that route - but it also is a lot harder to prove than people think. Even if he gets a psychiatric diagnosis and treatment, that doesn't mean there's no chance of a guilty verdict. They can't just prove that he has problems, they have to prove that they're to the extent that he didn't know what he did was wrong. Even someone who is hearing voices and being instructed to do bad things from those voices doesn't necessarily lack the ability to know what those voices are telling them to do is wrong.

(ETA: Yes, I'm aware that the burden of proof is actually on the prosecution - but insanity defenses are usually used in cases where there's undeniable proof that the person committed the crime, from what I understand.)
    Last edited by Misato Katsuragi; 1st May 2012 at 06:39 PM.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh, very nice, something good happened.

But yeah, this guy has a couple screws loose, methinks.

Agreed, this guy's delusional!
    Check out my Beyblade site: http//:beyblademania.weebly.com

Hyping over Steven Stone Kyriaki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Goodness those children were saved... :D

What a nice woman. *applauds*
    Whale in the Sky with Diamonds

I love these -happy- news reports - there's so much negativity in the news and papers that I'm glad there's a happy ending to this one. Way to go, brave Mom, saving kids she didn't know \o/

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

*claps* Very honorable for that woman to do that. Must have been scary to see that. D:

And like everyone else, I don't think that the father is exactly mentally stable. v.v

religion and mental instability mixed together leads to disastrous results.
    Check out my Beyblade site: http//:beyblademania.weebly.com