No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance
On June 23rd, 1972, Title IX became a law. This portion of the Education Amendments of 1972 allowed women equal opportunities in sports, higher education, and various careers. It also made sexual harassment illegal, allowed pregnant female students to stay in school, and has seemed to result in a decrease in opportunities for males in athletics.

The number of females highschool athletes has, according to one source, gone up by 1079%, and the number of female college athletes has gone up by 450%.

From the NOW websites, it is reported that:

In Education: In 1972, women earned just 7% of all law degrees and 9% of all medical degrees. By 2001, they received 47% of law degrees and 43% of medical degrees. In 1970, women earned only 13.3% of doctoral degrees; 30 years later, nearly half of all doctoral degrees are awarded to women.

In Athletics: In the days before Title IX, only one in 27 girls played varsity high school sports. By 2001, that figure was up to one in 2.5, for a total of 2.8 million girls playing high school sports. Similarly, 32,000 women athletes played on intercollegiate teams prior to Title IX, compared with 150,000 today. Athletic scholarships for women were virtually non-existent prior to Title IX, but by 2003, there was more than $1 million in scholarships for women at Division I schools.
I myself play basketball and plan to do so in highschool, along with millions of other girls. Women would never have the adequate chance to pursue a career in athletics or the sciences without Title IX, and my gratitude for this is infinite.

The President of the Unites States is planning an event to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Title IX, and the American Women's National Softball Team will be playing against Canada in a quote "Title IX Anniversary Celebration Game".