Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

Blog Entries
    Add Spyspotter on MySpace

Default Re: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyspotter View Post
    How can Jakarta do it? Please explain it?
    Beijing managed to do it, and so will Tokyo, so Jakarta could do it.
    Beijing and Tokyo are in higher economic countries. You did not explain why Jakarta can do it.
    China isn't exactly a high economic country. Other countries owe them so much money it ain't even funny. Jakarta would take a lot of work and help but if we book it for 2024 we could probably get it finished in time.

Empress of the Bird Reich Lyrebird's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Beijing and Tokyo are in higher economic countries. You did not explain why Jakarta can do it.
    China isn't exactly a high economic country. Other countries owe them so much money it ain't even funny. Jakarta would take a lot of work and help but if we book it for 2024 we could probably get it finished in time.
    Ummm China is considered to be top tier in economy. It doesn't matter if they run a budget deficit or have debt to other countries. America has debt and it is still considered to be a top tier economy.

Plus you still have not answered my question.
    Mokoniki likes this.

Blog Entries
    Add Spyspotter on MySpace

Ummm China is considered to be top tier in economy. It doesn't matter if they run a budget deficit or have debt to other countries. America has debt and it is still considered to be a top tier economy.

Plus you still have not answered my question.
    I did answer your question. With help from nearby countries Jakarta could do it. Australia and Singapore are pretty wealthy, and Malaysia should have enough money to do its part.

Blog Entries

Why would Australia and Singapore help? Australia would rather focus on their own bids. You haven't really answered a proper reason why Jarkata could host the Olympics.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Don't sell Indonesia short: while Indonesian on average aren't very well off economically, there's enough of them that Indonesia itself is one of the world's top-twenty ecoomies. (The same is true of China. For GDP per capita, China barely cracks the top-100 (Indonesia barely misses it). For GDP *overall*, China is 2nd and Indonesia about 15th.

I think when it comes to the country's ability to handle big events, GDP proper is usually a better metric (as it gives you an idea of how rich the country itself is). In that light...Indonesia is in the same general vicinity as Canada, Spain, Turkey and Australia (and, significantly, ahead of the last) - all of them recent hosts or recent bidders.

They're probably an outside shot, but hardly impossible.
    Last edited by Evil Figment; 27th September 2013 at 10:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries
    Follow Mikes Gardevoir On Twitter Add Mikes Gardevoir on Google+
    Follow Mikes Gardevoir on Tumblr Visit Mikes Gardevoir's Youtube Channel

I don't really care where it's hosted, I just care that wrestling is back in! They should have never considered taking it out in the first place! They should have never considered putting baseball in either because its only really big in a few countries. While wrestling is big in more of them. Plus with baseball you already have the world series and other championships. I for one am a wrestler and I know if you're serious about wrestling your goal is to make it to the Olympics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-3454 View Post
    I don't really care where it's hosted, I just care that wrestling is back in! They should have never considered taking it out in the first place! They should have never considered putting baseball in either because its only really big in a few countries. While wrestling is big in more of them. Plus with baseball you already have the world series and other championships. I for one am a wrestler and I know if you're serious about wrestling your goal is to make it to the Olympics.
    apparently you forgot little league and the LLWS

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Solrock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Solrock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    L
    That said, it was Asia's turn. 2012 was in Europe, 2016 will be American, so Asia was next up to the plate. (Africa, sadly, isn't yet at the point of being a regular participant in the rotation)
    thats because there is only 1 or 2 countries there that could pull this off (Egypt, South Africa)
    A few others could probably realistically pull it off (Morocco, perhaps?)
    Morocco is doubtful at best
    Hell of a lot more likely than Egypt, if the current political climate continues into the next few years, which given Egypt's history... is pretty likely.
    you can blame Obama and every president before him that supported mubarek along with the rest of the west for supporting him for that mess
    but even weith the political climate there i find it still more likely than those

I'd say the African country that would most likely be able to host the Olympics (other than South Africa) would be Equatorial Guinea (based on factors such as literacy, urbanization, wealth, etc.). But it is a pretty small and obscure country though.

I'd like to see the Olympics hosted in a southern Pacific island country like Indonesia, Australia, or New Zealand.
    Equatorial Guinea doesn't have the resources to do it themselves which is why they co-hosed t the 2012 African Cup of Nations in partnership with Gabon

well in 2018 the Olympic committee will vote to make American Football into the Olympics for over 24 counties play the sport and counting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bennett999 View Post
    well in 2018 the Olympic committee will vote to make American Football into the Olympics for over 24 counties play the sport and counting
    I can't think of a sport stupider to put in the Olympics until now. That would be the stupidest sport in the Olympics, why would anyone want to see USA fielding Tom Brady and co. taking on a random country like Germany. No one would watch it, no one would care to watch it, it would be a waste.
    Lord Apex likes this.

gone.
    Blog Entries

Visit Lord Apex's Youtube Channel

Yes please do not put american football in the olympics! To be honest, do we need anymore sports added to the olympics?
    We have enough already!

Claims Lightning and Isaac Clarke

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

I'll respond to this in list form.

The next IOC congress for summer Olympics selection will be in 2017.
    Where did you find this news? It's too early for a shortlist of sports for inclusion to be released.
    American Football has no chance at Olympic inclusion. It is exceptionally poorly developed outside of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu View Post
    I'll respond to this in list form.

The next IOC congress for summer Olympics selection will be in 2017.
    Where did you find this news? It's too early for a shortlist of sports for inclusion to be released.
    American Football has no chance at Olympic inclusion. It is exceptionally poorly developed outside of America.
    hear it is and I did a few typos sorry
    IFAF - Articles - View - 1487 - L2FydGljbGVzL2ZlYXR1cmVkL2luZGV4L3BhZ2U6Mw==
    Last edited by bennett999; 21st January 2014 at 01:31 AM.

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by bennett999;5089983
    hear it is and I did a few typos sorry
    [url=http://ifaf.org/articles/view/1487/L2FydGljbGVzL2ZlYXR1cmVkL2luZGV4L3BhZ2U6Mw==
    IFAF - Articles - View - 1487 - L2FydGljbGVzL2ZlYXR1cmVkL2luZGV4L3BhZ2U6Mw==[/url]
    This is just a promotional press release. They say that the IOC could start voting as early as 2017, but this doesn't really mean anything. Every federation talks about getting added to the Olympics, but the vast majority of them will never even make it to a IOC congress vote.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234