SPORTS: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58

Thread: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

  1. #31
    Let's make this showy Captain Marvelous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    GokaiGalleon
    Posts
    442
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    L
    That said, it was Asia's turn. 2012 was in Europe, 2016 will be American, so Asia was next up to the plate. (Africa, sadly, isn't yet at the point of being a regular participant in the rotation)
    thats because there is only 1 or 2 countries there that could pull this off (Egypt, South Africa)

  2. #32
    Demi-Goddess. Lyrebird's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,533
    Blog Entries
    16

    Default Re: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

    Lol no way Egypt can.

  3. #33
    Hero of the South Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Silicon Hills, Texas
    Posts
    19,857
    Blog Entries
    683
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

    Default Re: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Solrock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    L
    That said, it was Asia's turn. 2012 was in Europe, 2016 will be American, so Asia was next up to the plate. (Africa, sadly, isn't yet at the point of being a regular participant in the rotation)
    thats because there is only 1 or 2 countries there that could pull this off (Egypt, South Africa)
    A few others could probably realistically pull it off (Morocco, perhaps?)

  4. #34
    Demi-Goddess. Lyrebird's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,533
    Blog Entries
    16

    Default Re: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

    Only country in Africa that can pull off an Olympic Game or something of that magnitude is South Africa and they have done it. No one else could possibly do it.

  5. #35
    Let's make this showy Captain Marvelous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    GokaiGalleon
    Posts
    442
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Solrock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    L
    That said, it was Asia's turn. 2012 was in Europe, 2016 will be American, so Asia was next up to the plate. (Africa, sadly, isn't yet at the point of being a regular participant in the rotation)
    thats because there is only 1 or 2 countries there that could pull this off (Egypt, South Africa)
    A few others could probably realistically pull it off (Morocco, perhaps?)
    Morocco is doubtful at best

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    Lol no way Egypt can.
    egypt could easily pull of summer Olympics or world cup in fact they have some of the best stadiums for not only soccer but track and field as well when compared to both the rest of the middle east and the whole of Africa in fact there were one of the bid finalists for the 2010 world cup

  6. #36
    Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Lurking in dark corners
    Posts
    13,668
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

    I wouldn't make any large bet on South Africa being the only country that can pull it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

  7. #37
    Hero of the South Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Silicon Hills, Texas
    Posts
    19,857
    Blog Entries
    683
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

    Default Re: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Solrock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Solrock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    L
    That said, it was Asia's turn. 2012 was in Europe, 2016 will be American, so Asia was next up to the plate. (Africa, sadly, isn't yet at the point of being a regular participant in the rotation)
    thats because there is only 1 or 2 countries there that could pull this off (Egypt, South Africa)
    A few others could probably realistically pull it off (Morocco, perhaps?)
    Morocco is doubtful at best
    Hell of a lot more likely than Egypt, if the current political climate continues into the next few years, which given Egypt's history... is pretty likely.

  8. #38
    追放されたバカ Spyspotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Zero Isle South
    Posts
    290
    Blog Entries
    12
    Add Spyspotter on MySpace

    Default Re: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

    I'd say the African country that would most likely be able to host the Olympics (other than South Africa) would be Equatorial Guinea (based on factors such as literacy, urbanization, wealth, etc.). But it is a pretty small and obscure country though.

    I'd like to see the Olympics hosted in a southern Pacific island country like Indonesia, Australia, or New Zealand.

  9. #39

    Default Re: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

    I would say that it's highly likely that Paris will get the 2024 Summer Olympics. They really want it, and I'm sure they can buy it. There's no way it's going to Africa.

  10. #40
    Demi-Goddess. Lyrebird's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,533
    Blog Entries
    16

    Default Re: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Spyspotter View Post
    I'd say the African country that would most likely be able to host the Olympics (other than South Africa) would be Equatorial Guinea (based on factors such as literacy, urbanization, wealth, etc.). But it is a pretty small and obscure country though.

    I'd like to see the Olympics hosted in a southern Pacific island country like Indonesia, Australia, or New Zealand.
    Indonesia - Not possible
    Malaysia - Possible but a lot of work
    Australia - 2000 but several cities can host it
    NZ - a few could like Christchurch or Auckland.

    You need a city, not a country which is why Egypt or other African cities minus Jo'Burg can't do it.

  11. #41
    追放されたバカ Spyspotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Zero Isle South
    Posts
    290
    Blog Entries
    12
    Add Spyspotter on MySpace

    Default Re: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyspotter View Post
    I'd say the African country that would most likely be able to host the Olympics (other than South Africa) would be Equatorial Guinea (based on factors such as literacy, urbanization, wealth, etc.). But it is a pretty small and obscure country though.

    I'd like to see the Olympics hosted in a southern Pacific island country like Indonesia, Australia, or New Zealand.
    Indonesia - Not possible
    Malaysia - Possible but a lot of work
    Australia - 2000 but several cities can host it
    NZ - a few could like Christchurch or Auckland.

    You need a city, not a country which is why Egypt or other African cities minus Jo'Burg can't do it.
    Jakarta could realistically pull it off. And I'd like to see more South American cities like Buenos Aires, Guayaquil, and Montevideo do the Olympics.

  12. #42
    Demi-Goddess. Lyrebird's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,533
    Blog Entries
    16

    Default Re: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

    How can Jakarta do it? Please explain it?

  13. #43

    Default Re: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    How can Jakarta do it? Please explain it?
    Yes, please explain. This is Jakarta:

    Just so we're clear.

  14. #44
    追放されたバカ Spyspotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Zero Isle South
    Posts
    290
    Blog Entries
    12
    Add Spyspotter on MySpace

    Default Re: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    How can Jakarta do it? Please explain it?
    Beijing managed to do it, and so will Tokyo, so Jakarta could do it.

  15. #45
    Demi-Goddess. Lyrebird's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    3,533
    Blog Entries
    16

    Default Re: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Spyspotter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    How can Jakarta do it? Please explain it?
    Beijing managed to do it, and so will Tokyo, so Jakarta could do it.
    Beijing and Tokyo are in higher economic countries. You did not explain why Jakarta can do it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •