SPORTS: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

Default Re: 2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

My Japanese fanboy self is dancing inside. I'm happy for Tokyo for winning and was hoping they'd win. I know they have alot of problems right now with radioactive waste in Fukushima, but they could probably solve that in 7 years time. Since Istanbul being so close to Syria, I think the Olympic Committee figured it wouldn't be too safe with the war going on there. It's more likely that the war could be going on in Syria in 7 years than the situation in Tokyo.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kouzan View Post
    My Japanese fanboy self is dancing inside. I'm happy for Tokyo for winning and was hoping they'd win. I know they have alot of problems right now with radioactive waste in Fukushima, but they could probably solve that in 7 years time. Since Istanbul being so close to Syria, I think the Olympic Committee figured it wouldn't be too safe with the war going on there. It's more likely that the war could be going on in Syria in 7 years than the situation in Tokyo.
    With the way TEPCO is still handling things, unfortunatly its going to be more than 7 years for japan. I would like to go but with all of the things like radiation, im not willing to risk getting a major dose of radiation. If it was in Spain i would have maybe seen what i could do to go but im very leery about Tokyo since they still havent stopped the leaking radioactive water from going in the ocean. And with Instanbul, its not in a very stable region and is close to an area i will NOT travel to for ANY REASON

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 97SaturnSL1 View Post
    With the way TEPCO is still handling things, unfortunatly its going to be more than 7 years for japan. I would like to go but with all of the things like radiation, im not willing to risk getting a major dose of radiation. If it was in Spain i would have maybe seen what i could do to go but im very leery about Tokyo since they still havent stopped the leaking radioactive water from going in the ocean. And with Instanbul, its not in a very stable region and is close to an area i will NOT travel to for ANY REASON
    Well I should of added that Tokyo isn't exactly close to Fukushima meaning they're way far away from any radiation there so I'm pretty sure it's safe. They wouldn't build any facilities in the radiation area and they figured Tokyo is far enough from the radiation site to assure it's safe for people to walk and live on. Japan's prime minister each reassured it will be safe.

And if anyone's wondering this is what the stadium is proposed to look like:

Love it. I'm very excited for 2020 to witness this.
    Last edited by Kouzan; 7th September 2013 at 07:34 PM.

Blog Entries

So happy Tokyo won! I know they're gonna do great :D

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well I should of added that Tokyo isn't exactly close to Fukushima meaning they're way far away from any radiation there so I'm pretty sure it's safe. They wouldn't build any facilities in the radiation area and they figured Tokyo is far enough from the radiation site to assure it's safe for people to walk and live on. Japan's prime minister each reassured it will be safe.
    Well... there have been reports of radiation spikes in the Tokyo area over the years. knowing how well the whole situation has been handled over the past 2.5 years doesnt put really any faith in me that the air and food supply are cleaned. with the prime minister and 98% of all politicans, i trust him as much as far as i can throw a huge mega sized cathedral pipe organ. I hugely doubt a wall of ICE will stop RADIATION from leaking out. it may contian radioactive water by freezing it but it doesnt stop the Radiation aspect. If it wasnt for the fear of Radiation, i would love to go to tokyo! I do find it odd that Tokyo wins and they still are dealing with the Fukushima problems still 2 years later. I dont know how voting is determined but there could have been some other factors in the voting process that would help determine who wins each 4 years

Quote Originally Posted by 97SaturnSL1 View Post
    Well... there have been reports of radiation spikes in the Tokyo area over the years. knowing how well the whole situation has been handled over the past 2.5 years doesnt put really any faith in me that the air and food supply are cleaned. with the prime minister and 98% of all politicans, i trust him as much as far as i can throw a huge mega sized cathedral pipe organ. I hugely doubt a wall of ICE will stop RADIATION from leaking out. it may contian radioactive water by freezing it but it doesnt stop the Radiation aspect. If it wasnt for the fear of Radiation, i would love to go to tokyo! I do find it odd that Tokyo wins and they still are dealing with the Fukushima problems still 2 years later. I dont know how voting is determined but there could have been some other factors in the voting process that would help determine who wins each 4 years
    The reason why is because sensible people know there's nothing unsafe about going to Japan. The World Artistic Gymnastics Championships was held in Tokyo in 2011 with no problems.

Demi-Goddess. Lyrebird's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Wrestling may make a return or Baseball/Softball or Squash or and all. Find out in about 3 hours.

Blog Entries

Wrestling is restored.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/09/sports/olympics/wrestling-is-restored-to-the-olympics.html?_r=0
    I'm glad too cause it's been a part of the Olympics since ancient times so why take it out?

This was so obvious I should have put money on it.

Spain have not got a pot to piss in as we say. They are having to be bailed out by Northern Europe, they are effectively bankrupt, and their unemployment rate is through the roof.
    They may have had the cheapest bid, but it would still have cost billions, billions that country does not have.

As for Istanbul, we have a lack of human rights, an increasingly authoritarian/dictatorial government, as well as radicalisation of the country by said government. Not to mention this country currently occupies half an EU members territory illegally and still supports the genocide against Armenia. And on a smaller note, arch rivals Greece invented the games and probably would not turn up if they were in Turkey.

So the obvious solution was always going to be Tokyo. Yes Fukushima is bad, but they have 7 years to clear it up, and it's 100s of miles away from Tokyo, so wouldn't affect it anyway. Japan has a stable economy, the finances, as well as the creativity, technological prowess and ingenuity, to host a really great games.

I remember the spectacle and amazement of the Beijing games, unfortunately London failed to top this, and I believe Rio will as well, I think Tokyo however may be able to top the Beijing games.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

London DELIBERATELY didn,t top the Beijing games, because London wanted to show that the game could be run withou expanding a few quadrillions on them.

That's not failure. That's having a brain.

That said, it was Asia's turn. 2012 was in Europe, 2016 will be American, so Asia was next up to the plate. (Africa, sadly, isn't yet at the point of being a regular participant in the rotation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter Add Robo-Floatzel on Google+
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Genwunner View Post
    This was so obvious I should have put money on it.

Spain have not got a pot to piss in as we say. They are having to be bailed out by Northern Europe, they are effectively bankrupt, and their unemployment rate is through the roof.
    They may have had the cheapest bid, but it would still have cost billions, billions that country does not have.

As for Istanbul, we have a lack of human rights, an increasingly authoritarian/dictatorial government, as well as radicalisation of the country by said government. Not to mention this country currently occupies half an EU members territory illegally and still supports the genocide against Armenia. And on a smaller note, arch rivals Greece invented the games and probably would not turn up if they were in Turkey.

So the obvious solution was always going to be Tokyo. Yes Fukushima is bad, but they have 7 years to clear it up, and it's 100s of miles away from Tokyo, so wouldn't affect it anyway. Japan has a stable economy, the finances, as well as the creativity, technological prowess and ingenuity, to host a really great games.

I remember the spectacle and amazement of the Beijing games, unfortunately London failed to top this, and I believe Rio will as well, I think Tokyo however may be able to top the Beijing games.
    While what you said on Spain is true, it was probably not appropriate to host the games there at all due to being both too close in proximity to London and costing too much. As for Istanbul, I have to disagree with that, since the 2008 Olympics were held in a country (China) who's human rights are known for being even WORSE than that of Turkey's, not to mention they were held in 1980 in Moscow when it was still the Soviet Union (and the US boycotted those Olympics because it was the Cold War and America was still butthurt over the spread of communism, that and Jimmy Carter was president at the time), and even before then in 1938 in NAZI GERMANY, so saying that they shouldn't be held in Turkey is a bit of hypocrisy given the examples I stated there.

To be fair, Turkey's human rights have never been the best (especially for the country that was once the Ottoman Empire), but it didn't get really bad in Turkey until current Prime Minister Recip Tayyip Erdogan came into power, as well as the increasingly bad conflict with the Kurds, not to mention Turkey borders Syria, and we all know the story of THAT country.

So really, even as much as this pleases the otaku community and anime fanatics, Tokyo is the best choice at this point, and while it's true there is both an economic situation in Japan, as well as Fukushima still lurking around (and yet nobody seems to talk about Chernobyl anymore), it's probably for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    London DELIBERATELY didn,t top the Beijing games, because London wanted to show that the game could be run withou expanding a few quadrillions on them.

That's not failure. That's having a brain.

That said, it was Asia's turn. 2012 was in Europe, 2016 will be American, so Asia was next up to the plate. (Africa, sadly, isn't yet at the point of being a regular participant in the rotation)
    I've read on Wikipedia that Nairobi (Kenya), Casablanca (Morocco), and Durban (South Africa) have all made bids for the 2024 Olympics, so there's still hope that an African city might make it someday, after all, the 2016 Olympics will be in Brazil, the first South American country to host the Olympic games.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    I've read on Wikipedia that Nairobi (Kenya), Casablanca (Morocco), and Durban (South Africa) have all made bids for the 2024 Olympics, so there's still hope that an African city might make it someday, after all, the 2016 Olympics will be in Brazil, the first South American country to host the Olympic games.
    You were looking at a list of potential bids. Most of these cities won't bid, and most of the applicant cities will not be chosen as candidates.

Ragin' Cajun Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

I stayed in the original Olympic complex in Tokyo back in '11 when I visited, so I'm eager to see what they do for it this time. I do hope an African city gets the honor sometime soon, though. Who knows? 2024 is still a long way off (hell, I'll be an old curmudgeon by then).

Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post

I have to disagree with that, since the 2008 Olympics were held in a country (China) who's human rights are known for being even WORSE than that of Turkey's, not to mention they were held in 1980 in Moscow when it was still the Soviet Union (and the US boycotted those Olympics because it was the Cold War and America was still butthurt over the spread of communism, that and Jimmy Carter was president at the time), and even before then in 1938 in NAZI GERMANY, so saying that they shouldn't be held in Turkey is a bit of hypocrisy given the examples I stated there.
    Yes because everyone knows if you make a mistake you should make it again given the opportunity. /sarc

The Olympics should not go to countries with poor human rights records, the fact that they have in the past is not justification for them to do so again in the future. I also think LGBT rights should be incorporated into Human Rights, and pressure be applied to Russia to change their stance.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

How the hell is Tokyo gonna facilitate the games? I mean, holy congestion batman. I can imagine the amazing opening ceremony, but the pracicality of this location is gonna be a nightmare, no?
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast