SPORTS: 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

  1. #1
    Canada's Oshimen Shinobu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    837
    Blog Entries
    337

    Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

    Default 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

    They are happening. Let's discuss.

  2. #2
    Registered User donavannj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

    So far I haven't really been following any ceremony events, but I've recently been hearing quite a bit on the radio as well as reading from American news sites just how not-modern and poorly maintained the hotels in and around Sochi seem to be, mostly from American and Canadian journalists and athletes. This gives me the impression that Sochi and its surrounding cities completely ignored accommodations for visitors in the buildup to host the Olympics.
    TCG Moderator at The PokéCommunity - Note that The PokéCommunity is not Bulbagarden. I have no staff authority here at Bulbagarden. I just know a lot about the TCG.

  3. #3
    gone.
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Im in the khazi!
    Posts
    1,455
    Blog Entries
    9

    Visit Lord Apex's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

    I am worried for our athletes in russia at the moment, the bomb threats from the muslim extremists who want a islamic state in russia is very concerning.

    Aside from that, I hope team GB will earn a few more medals this year!

    Claims Lightning and Isaac Clarke

  4. #4
    I'm [not] a pirate Jolene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,233
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default Re: 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

    These Olympics are a hot mess. Funny because it's in the Winter. A combination of terror threats and unpreparedness in terms of accommodation, you wonder what the Russians did with all that money. Let's just hope and pray the athletes just do their thing and get the hell out of there without any major problems.

    Also, do those gay activists really think Putin will listen to them?
    Lord Apex likes this.

    Y > X

  5. #5
    Canada's Oshimen Shinobu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    837
    Blog Entries
    337

    Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

    Default Re: 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Jolene View Post
    These Olympics are a hot mess. Funny because it's in the Winter. A combination of terror threats and unpreparedness in terms of accommodation, you wonder what the Russians did with all that money. Let's just hope and pray the athletes just do their thing and get the hell out of there without any major problems.
    The hotels that the media reporters are staying at are not at all affiliated with Russia's Olympic organization. They're just apparently really crappy local hotels.

  6. #6
    I'm [not] a pirate Jolene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,233
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default Re: 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolene View Post
    These Olympics are a hot mess. Funny because it's in the Winter. A combination of terror threats and unpreparedness in terms of accommodation, you wonder what the Russians did with all that money. Let's just hope and pray the athletes just do their thing and get the hell out of there without any major problems.
    The hotels that the media reporters are staying at are not at all affiliated with Russia's Olympic organization. They're just apparently really crappy local hotels.
    It still reflects badly on the host country. Why were these hotels not adequately prepared? It's not like they just found it was happening last month.

    Y > X

  7. #7
    Canada's Oshimen Shinobu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    837
    Blog Entries
    337

    Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

    Default Re: 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

    I'll be updating a spreadsheet containing weighted medal counts from the Olympics. Each gold medal earns a federation 3 points, silver 2, and bronze 1.

    You can view it here.
    Karamazov likes this.

  8. #8
    Registered User donavannj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolene View Post
    These Olympics are a hot mess. Funny because it's in the Winter. A combination of terror threats and unpreparedness in terms of accommodation, you wonder what the Russians did with all that money. Let's just hope and pray the athletes just do their thing and get the hell out of there without any major problems.
    The hotels that the media reporters are staying at are not at all affiliated with Russia's Olympic organization. They're just apparently really crappy local hotels.
    That doesn't explain the better but still poor accommodations for the athletes themselves.
    TCG Moderator at The PokéCommunity - Note that The PokéCommunity is not Bulbagarden. I have no staff authority here at Bulbagarden. I just know a lot about the TCG.

  9. #9
    gone.
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Im in the khazi!
    Posts
    1,455
    Blog Entries
    9

    Visit Lord Apex's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

    This is a little late but, eoop! Woop!
    Team GB got a bronze medal!
    I would applause more but a bronze is crap in my eyes.

    Claims Lightning and Isaac Clarke

  10. #10
    Empress of the Bird Reich Lyrebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,557
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Apex View Post
    This is a little late but, eoop! Woop!
    Team GB got a bronze medal!
    I would applause more but a bronze is crap in my eyes.
    You need to clean your eyes. Bronze out of 50 high class athletes is considered crap. Yeah smart thinking isn't it.

  11. #11
    gone.
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Im in the khazi!
    Posts
    1,455
    Blog Entries
    9

    Visit Lord Apex's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Apex View Post
    This is a little late but, eoop! Woop!
    Team GB got a bronze medal!
    I would applause more but a bronze is crap in my eyes.
    You need to clean your eyes. Bronze out of 50 high class athletes is considered crap. Yeah smart thinking isn't it.
    Listen, if it ain't gold I ain't interested.

    Talking of gold, one of our athletes is a gold hopeful today I think, I can't remember what in but I'm gonna look. Now.

    Claims Lightning and Isaac Clarke

  12. #12
    Hail to the Shy Guy! Paleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Somewhere Unique
    Posts
    659

    Default Re: 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

    Cool! A Winter Olympics thread! (pun intended)

    I love sports so I'll be popping by here every now and again :)

    The Olympics are going great for my country so far :D The Netherlands have won tons of speed skating medals, which is especially good since it's the only winter sport that we're properly good at :)

    If you'll excuse me now, I'll be off to watch the men's skeleton. No Dutchmen participating there, but it's still a good watch
    Proud claimer of Level Ball, Houndoominite, Shy Guy, Jude Sharp,
    Forretress and Flash Cannon!
    FC: 3909-8738-0113 / IGN: Thijs / FS: ICE; Snover, Bergmite, Dewgong

  13. #13
    Empress of the Bird Reich Lyrebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,557
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Apex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Apex View Post
    This is a little late but, eoop! Woop!
    Team GB got a bronze medal!
    I would applause more but a bronze is crap in my eyes.
    You need to clean your eyes. Bronze out of 50 high class athletes is considered crap. Yeah smart thinking isn't it.
    Listen, if it ain't gold I ain't interested.

    Talking of gold, one of our athletes is a gold hopeful today I think, I can't remember what in but I'm gonna look. Now.
    Isn't that a stupid mindset though? If it ain't gold you aren't interested? That's really poor form.

  14. #14
    gone.
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Im in the khazi!
    Posts
    1,455
    Blog Entries
    9

    Visit Lord Apex's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    Isn't that a stupid mindset though? If it ain't gold you aren't interested? That's really poor form.
    Yes it is but don't you worry!
    For some reason I need a google account to access that pagi Shinobu posted, anyone else getting the same?

    Claims Lightning and Isaac Clarke

  15. #15
    Hail to the Shy Guy! Paleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Somewhere Unique
    Posts
    659

    Default Re: 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

    Ahwyeah! Bronze medal in the men's shorttrack 1500m! Ice ice baby :D
    Proud claimer of Level Ball, Houndoominite, Shy Guy, Jude Sharp,
    Forretress and Flash Cannon!
    FC: 3909-8738-0113 / IGN: Thijs / FS: ICE; Snover, Bergmite, Dewgong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •