2012 Tropical Cyclones - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2012 Tropical Cyclones

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 2012 Tropical Cyclones

...and, just like that, after an absolutely dead month of July, the 2012 Atlantic Season has come back with a vengeance.

As in, equaling the record for most storms in August.
    As in, ending August being ahead of 2005 (2005 got its L-name storm on August 31, 2012 on August 30).
    Which, incidentally, means 2012 has the second-earliest L-storm on record.

The only saving grace is that they've all been fairly weak - so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

And so with October ending, we now have Sandy and Tommy going around.

And only one question left: five weeks. Two names left. Will 2012 manage to make it to the Greeks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulmaster On Twitter
    Visit Soulmaster's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    And so with October ending, we now have Sandy and Tommy going around.

And only one question left: five weeks. Two names left. Will 2012 manage to make it to the Greeks?
    Tony not Tommy.
    We'll see I want it to for some reason yet it probably won't.

Credit for the Banner goes to Pyradox. Link to URPG stats
    Mafia Win/Lose Tally
    Black FC: 1506 9762 7606: White 2 FC: 2967-6420-8683: My Fanclub
    Winner of LOST mafia, My Little Pony: Friendship is Mafia 2, Bloons Tower Defense 5 Mafia, Fos Ro Mafia, Legendary Pokemon Mafia, War Room Mafia 5, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Mafia, Pokemon Movie Mafia
    Writer's Workshop Moderator

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

The hype with Hurricane Sandy is getting insane:
    If Sandy Becomes 'Frankenstorm,' It Could Be Worst In A Century | WBUR & NPR

Part of me wonders if this is going to be this year's Irene, all hype and little real damage, or if I should take this seriously. Then again, part of the reason Irene wasn't as bad as predicted is because people were well-prepared for it.

It does kind of disappoint me that I no longer have a grocery-store job; right before Irene last year we had people stocking up on things like the Apocalypse was coming. We kept running out of ice and firewood (even though this was friggin' August in Baltimore). There was a significant part of the area without power for a week or so, though, so it wasn't such a bad idea I guess.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries

Follow Ebail on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    The hype with Hurricane Sandy is getting insane:
    If Sandy Becomes 'Frankenstorm,' It Could Be Worst In A Century | WBUR & NPR

Part of me wonders if this is going to be this year's Irene, all hype and little real damage, or if I should take this seriously. Then again, part of the reason Irene wasn't as bad as predicted is because people were well-prepared for it.

It does kind of disappoint me that I no longer have a grocery-store job; right before Irene last year we had people stocking up on things like the Apocalypse was coming. We kept running out of ice and firewood (even though this was friggin' August in Baltimore). There was a significant part of the area without power for a week or so, though, so it wasn't such a bad idea I guess.
    No one around here is really stocking up much yet, at least not with the store I work at.

I'm not so much worried about this storm, as I am annoyed about it. It's kinda coming at a bad time for me, cause I'm suppose to be getting a new dog tomorrow, and I start working longer shifts again on Monday in frozen, so I'll be stuck at my store for 8 hours during the bad part of the storm, cause I'm doubtful that my store will close. But whatever, I'm ready for the storm regardless. I live in a no flood zone, and I always have bottled water around, as well as food that doesn't need to be cooked so.

Edit: Ironically, after posting this, I get a call from work, saying that they're really busy, and if I can come in early. Guess now people wanna start getting ready.
    Last edited by Ebail; 26th October 2012 at 10:15 AM.
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.
    3DS FC: 1134-7255-2841 - White2 FC: 1765-1583-4731
    Some sort of blog about me - Fanclub

Blog Entries

Actually, it seems like it's about to hit Boston when I'm out of town for the American Musicological Society conference in New Orleans. Woot!

Which is kind of funny, considering New Orleans's reputation when it comes to hurricanes...

Quote Originally Posted by Ebail View Post
    No one around here is really stocking up much yet, at least not with the store I work at.
    To be fair, this was literally the day before the hurricane hit Maryland, though we had a few people stocking up in the days before that. But it was soooo crazy, almost as bad as the pre-Thanksgiving and -Christmas rushes. I kept thinking "Is this what it was like before the Y2K scare?" So you're in for a "fun" time!

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries

Follow Ebail on Tumblr

My store is like 5/10 minutes from the beach, so I do expect today be very busy with people stocking up. I dunno what is going to be worse, the actual storm, or the upcoming shifts of work. Personally, I feel it'll be the latter.
    3DS FC: 1134-7255-2841 - White2 FC: 1765-1583-4731
    Some sort of blog about me - Fanclub

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    Ehh, I dunno. This is October after all. But if it happened in 2005...
    FCs- HG: 4426 5257 0152 Pt: 0131 7157 4821 W: 3095 6620 2000 W2: 1851 0568 6600

Blog Entries

Ick. I really hope my flight to New Orleans on Wednesday is not delayed (the hurricane's not supposed to directly hit Boston, but I have a transfer in Baltimore on the way to NO). I hope my friend visiting this weekend from Florida doesn't have his flight home delayed as well.

But I think I should expect at this point that both of those things will happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12