2011 Tropical Cyclones - Page 9

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Tropical Cyclones

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 2011 Tropical Cyclones

Harvey is drenching Guatemala. Irene has burst on to the scene, skipping the depression stage.

Irene has a lot of warm water to tread, has very little shear, and is eying Hispaniola like a fat kid looking at cake. This storm could be a killer.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Irene is ignoring Hispaniola and Cuba, and has set a hungry eye on the U.S. mainland. Sucker's really gaining strength, as it's gone to the north of where they expected. Irene is a Category 2 and has PLENTY of room to get stronger. At a low estimate, we're looking at a Category 3 on Tuesday. At a high estimate, we're looking at a frightfully powerful category 4 on Tuesday.

shhhhh.
    Blog Entries

Follow Parma on Tumblr

Right now, Irene is no longer forecasted to reach Category 4 like it was.

BUT. EVERYONE IN THE MID-ATLANTIC BETTER KEEP YOUR EYES ON THIS AND EYE IT LIKE A CAT LEERING FOOD. I AM NOT SHITTING YOU.

To everyone in the relevant areas, here's a link to current severe alerts. If you're under the gun, watch and prepare accordingly. Stay safe.

Hurricane Preparedness - important link is important.
    the vile, wandering one sneaks up

Hi Rayne's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

I've only started taking notice after side discussion about the earthquake elsewhere, but we're ready I suppose. I already took down some of our deck umbrellas in advance of the storms pushing through this afternoon, guess that wraps that up.

As my friend said, "Bring on Irene!"

I like how some tracks originally had Irene pulling directly through our town XD
    Even if we don't get the full brunt of her, it's still going to be a doozy of a storm. The last big one we had was Isabelle in 2003 which took out two of our pines in the back yard. It was unfortunate since this one guy had a row of pines for a natural fence. They all toppled.

I was sad to see them go :(

Anyways, this is definitely a serious storm for East Coasters to watch.
    Last edited by Rayne; 25th August 2011 at 06:22 PM.

-In Simple Harmony-

Blog Entries

Follow hurristat on Tumblr

Yes, Irene is going to impact the whole East Coast from NC up.

My advice: don't fuck with nature. If it's heading your way and it's forecasted to be any stronger than 100 mph sustained, board the house up and get the hell out of dodge. If it's stronger than 60 mph sustained but less than 100 mph, board up the house, but you're probably fine staying in the house, but be prepared for the worst.

TD10 out in no-man's land in the Atlantic.

Typhoon Nanmadol. Tropical Storm Talas.

Oh yeah, Isabel was bad. Flooded our neighbors' yards. I have a picture from the day we had the storm surge, showing my brother walking into the Chesapeake Bay... as it was coming up our street.

As for Irene, we got all the stuff in from outside. We have battery-powered lanterns with plenty of spare batteries, and a battery/crank-powered radio. We also have a battery inverter for plugging in anything else if need be. We're ready. My recommendation to everyone else in the path of the storm is to keep an eye on the watches and warnings, and be sure to check if your area is being evacuated. Evacuations are already taking place in coastal towns. If you're staying home, be ready for a power outage.

Staff member at The PokéMasters (Forums - Facebook page)
    Joined April 5, 2005

shhhhh.
    Blog Entries

Follow Parma on Tumblr

I have battery powered radio and flashlight. Need to charge up laptop and get a bag on me, though. I ain't gonna lie. I don't like being home alone during a tropical storm.

Blog Entries

Follow hurristat on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by hurristat View Post
    Typhoon Nanmadol. Tropical Storm Talas.
    Looking at Nanmadol now; it's exploded into a full-blown Super Typhoon, and expected to strengthen into a Category 5. Northern Luzon, Taiwan, and the Southern Ryukyu Islands will want to batten down the hatches.

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

My area (Connecticut) hasn't had a major hurricane since Gloria in the 80's. Because of Treepocalypse 2010, a very strong nor'easter that hit my area of the state particularly hard, everyone has some idea of what to expect.

Video Games Modegator GatoRage's Avatar Moderator
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Follow GatoRage on Tumblr

Because of Irene, states of emergency has been declared in seven states: New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, Connecticut, North Carolina and Delaware.

New York is actually beginning mandatory evacuations for the first time in it's history, with the lowest-lying areas of the city expected to be plunged under water.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had a hurricane like storm in 08...it was intense.

I know one of my friends in Staten Island is going to be affected probably....D:

I wish the best of luck to all members in it's path.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Irene has impacted New York City and while the beaches are intact, it has unfortunately left behind some bodies.

This is a storm likely to be retired. It has cut open a new inlet near Cape Hatteras, flooded New York City, caused severe flooding in North Carolina and Virginia, probably broke a bunch of high rise windows, and has killed anywhere from 8 to 11 people.

Note: Irene has been used as a name since 1959.

shhhhh.
    Blog Entries

Follow Parma on Tumblr

[Not Irene]

[ATL]Hmm. We have Jose in the Atlantic. Though Bermuda is under a Tropical Storm Watch, the forecast has it down to a depression on Monday.

- Healthy AOI upgraded to 40% just off the African Coastline. Next name: Katia...

@hurristat: though gfs suggests something spinning up in the GOM - http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/18/images/gfs_tpp_384l.gif

[WP]Nanmadol is nearing Taiwan as minimal typhoon. Stay wary.

JTWC has Talas nearing Japan at minimal typhoon also. [/Not Irene]

Made it through a night of Irene just fine. Our power was out from 10:18pm Saturday - 3:02pm Sunday. Had to spend the night scooping water out of the sump pit, since our pump doesn't have a battery backup.

Invest is now at 70%. Looks like we'll soon be seeing Katia (of historical note, that's the name that replaced Katrina).

Staff member at The PokéMasters (Forums - Facebook page)
    Joined April 5, 2005

Hi Rayne's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Made it through a night of Irene just fine. Our power was out from 10:18pm Saturday - 3:02pm Sunday. Had to spend the night scooping water out of the sump pit, since our pump doesn't have a battery backup.
    That was much of what we experienced in Southern Maryland as well, though our power cut out a bit earlier in the evening.

Clearing out the basement of water was definitely not fun. Fortunately we were able to salvage stuff in advance since we had most of our belongings on legs or in plastic bins, a precaution we took from the last few storms.

Flooding is really the only menacing aspect of this storm. Since this summer wasn't terribly dry, trees weren't brittle which meant stronger limbs so there wasn't too many trees down aside from scatterings of twigs, nuts and leaves. I had to drive during the worst part of it at midnight (my mother is a nurse and she got called to work). I've gotta say, driving this storm was a very unique blend of eerie tranquility and outright chaos. With so much debris everywhere, all lights out and absolutely no one else on the road, the world was the canvas of a post-apocalyptic dream, but it was incredibly exhilarating to drive it. I just know I couldn't drive the way I did last night on any other normal day. :P

I'm surprised the forecasts have Irene holding together as a Tropical Storm as it heads towards Northern climes short of Iceland. I figured it'd dissipate near completely before that.

-In Simple Harmony-

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast