2011 Tropical Cyclones - Page 10

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 2011 Tropical Cyclones

Blog Entries

Follow hurristat on Tumblr

Default Re: 2011 Tropical Cyclones

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    I'm surprised the forecasts have Irene holding together as a Tropical Storm as it heads towards Northern climes short of Iceland. I figured it'd dissipate near completely before that.
    The forecasts are misleading; Irene will have tropical storm strength winds but will actually be an extratropical storm (it's already an extratropical storm) when it gets there.

---

Here's a thought for you: if TD 10 had become a TS, and since we are looking at Katia off the coast of Africa soon, we would be in lockstep with the rate that 2005 was having named storms.... which is a scary thought.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Katia's up and awake, and ready to trek across the Atlantic. However storms forming that far out tend to die in the middle of the ocean somewhere northeast of Bermuda. We'll see. Hurricanes lately have loved breaking rules.

Blog Entries

Tropical Storm Lee just formed up in the Gulf, heading towards the New Orleans area. Doubtful it will get any stronger before it hits.

Gonna be a wet weekend =_=;
    Astronomy Club... you know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaname Madoka
    If someone tells me that it’s wrong to hope, I will tell them they’re wrong every time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuness View Post
    Tropical Storm Lee just formed up in the Gulf, heading towards the New Orleans area. Doubtful it will get any stronger before it hits.

Gonna be a wet weekend =_=;
    Actually the NHC puts it at a 25% of being a hurricane at landfall and I'd expect it to be about a 60/65 mph (sustained) tropical storm.

Blog Entries

With how close it is to land already, I doubt it will be a hurricane when it hits, not that it will change anything here. Just gonna be a long thunderstorm with some wind to it :p
    Astronomy Club... you know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaname Madoka
    If someone tells me that it’s wrong to hope, I will tell them they’re wrong every time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuness View Post
    With how close it is to land already, I doubt it will be a hurricane when it hits, not that it will change anything here. Just gonna be a long thunderstorm with some wind to it :p
    It's nearly stationary over near-record high SSTs. I wouldn't poo-poo this storm.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Typhoon in Japan

Killer typhoon brings new misery to Japan - World news - Asia-Pacific - msnbc.com

TOKYO — Rescuers and search parties scoured central Japan on Monday as the death toll from the worst typhoon to hit the country in seven years climbed to 34, adding more misery to a nation still reeling from its catastrophic tsunami six months ago.

Typhoon Talas, which was later downgraded to a tropical storm, lashed coastal areas with destructive winds and record-setting rains over the weekend before moving offshore into the Sea of Japan. In addition to the 34 dead and 55 missing, thousands were stranded as the typhoon washed out bridges, railways and roads. Tens of thousands of households were still out of electricity and land telephone lines remained disrupted Monday night.

The scenes of destruction from the typhoon were another unwelcome reminder of Japan's vulnerability to the forces of nature as the country tries to recover from the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

Quick response pledged
    In one of his first acts in office, Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda — sworn in just one day before the storm made landfall — vowed the government would provide as much assistance as quickly as it could.

His predecessor, Naoto Kan, was forced out in large part because of public anger over the response to the tsunami, which left nearly 21,000 people dead or missing and touched off the worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl.

"We will do everything we can to rescue people and search for the missing," Noda said.

The typhoon was believed to be the worst to hit Japan since 2004, when 98 people were killed or reported missing. It caused most of its damage on the Kii Peninsula in central Japan southwest of Tokyo and hundreds of miles from the country's tsunami-ravaged northeastern coast.

Advertise | AdChoices

Hunting for survivors
    The extent of damage from the typhoon was still emerging Monday.

Rescuers and reconnaissance teams spread out over the worst-hit areas to look for survivors or people stranded in flood zones, which though far smaller in scale were reminiscent of the debris-ridden, mud-caked wasteland created by the tsunami.

Television footage showed washed-out train bridges, whole neighborhoods inundated by swollen rivers and police using rope to pull frightened survivors out of homes awash in the murky waters.

The government's emergency headquarters put the death toll at 26 as of Monday morning. Evacuation advisories remained in place for about 100,000 people, although the storm itself was no longer over land.

Only on msnbc.com
    Perry pushed bill that could boost doctor's firm
    US, big banks play chicken over mortgages

Blue Origin's experimental rocket ship crashes .

49 in Florida charged in IRS tax scam .
    Romney: My plan ‘radically restructures’ economy
    Zero jobs growth but not necessarily recession

Bad batteries in AEDs tied to cardiac deaths .
    Most of the dead were in Wakayama prefecture (state), said local official Seiji Yamamoto. He said 17 were killed there and another 28 missing.

"There are so many roads out that it is hard to count them all," he said. "Hundreds of homes have been flooded."

Hundreds of thousands issued evacuation orders
    Rains and wind were recorded across wide swaths of Japan's main island, but no significant damage was reported in the tsunami-ravaged northeast.

As the typhoon approached, evacuation orders or advisories were issued to 460,000 people. At least 3,600 people were still stranded by flooded rivers, landslides and collapsed bridges that were hampering rescue efforts, Kyodo News agency reported.

The center of the season's 12th typhoon crossed the southern island of Shikoku and the central part of the main island of Honshu overnight Saturday.

Talas has mostly moved at about 6 mph, roughly the speed of a bicycle, and its slow progress caused heavy and prolonged rainfall over Japan, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.

Talas is a word from the Philippines that means "sharpness."

Reuters contributed to this report from The Associated Press.

407Share
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

We have Maria in the Atlantic which will be taking a similar track to Katia, though more southerly. Maria will be a storm to watch. Katia's a fish storm but did briefly strengthen to Category 4. And now...we have Nate popping in inside the Bay of Campeche waving at forecasters. Nate is forecast to sit tight and strengthen before heading anywhere; steering currents are lacking at the moment.

Nate does not look obvious until you look at the visible satellite: there is a pretty intense rotation at the surface.

Blog Entries

Nate is pretty much dead after hitting the coast of Mexico after not really having done much in the way of strengthening. Maria is fighting shear but is becoming marginally stronger. MJO's on the other side of the world so I wouldn't expect too much cyclogenesis.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910