In the small town of Lavender, a storm was gathering. The Absols were gathering, all the other pokemon were leaving. All of the psychic media were arriving, in the calm before the storm.
Ten millennia ago, there were two factions of spirits: the dark and the light. The dark were only concerned with their self-preservation and the furthering of their own goals, at any cost. The light were much more concerned with life and furthering of the spirits as a race.
These morals obviously contrasted with each other, and could only lead to one thing: war. This war came to a climax when the dark, splintered and broken, were presented with an option: assimilate and we won't remove you. They obviously took it.
The peace was a tenuous one, but over the course of the years they learned to live with each other and get along, and this was the status quo.
The tensions were softened by and large by one thing: the use of human bodies as the medium by which they moved about. One could no longer tell if a spirit was dark or light on the outside, and there was even mixing between the two. The reliance on human bodies became such that if the host human died, so did the spirit (the spirit could leave or die without the human dying).
But there was a small faction of dark spirits that only interbred, their discontent with the light majority festering like an open, gangrenous wound.
Now the remaining 4 of the dark spirit faction has decided it is time for action. They posted a message on the town bulletin board: "Unless you surrender now and allow us reign over the spirit world, we will kill one host every night." The town was aflutter. A town hall meeting was held: the ultimate result was to, in turn, lynch one host every day suspected of being part of the faction.
The dark spirit faction, sensing the danger, realized that it had to do something to protect itself. They decided to switch hosts every night. So they would be in one host for one night and one day, no more. The light spirits were also forced to do the same thing as well, as they had some who were special. Three possessed the ability to see through the host and see the true alignment of the spirit. And one possessed the ability to save a specific host from death every night.
The stage was set, and the calm before the storm was thick in the air.
So, some clarifications on the story, and rules (partially lifted from Mijzelffan):
1. There are 20 roles: 4 dark spirits (mafia), 3 seers (cops), and 1 protector (doc), and 12 regular light spirits.
2. These roles rotate every night, so for example, one person, if they got dark spirit on n0, they would be dark for n0 and d1, and then get a new role on n1.
3. Aside from n0, when I send you the role confirmation (effectively an "are you still playing"), I may not send you a role PM on every night. This means you are just a vanilla townie.
4. Aside from n0, please do not confirm your role in the thread. (But please do this n0).
5. When a host dies, so does the role. So if a seer is lynched, that spirit is gone forever, and you are short one seer.
6. So I don't have to iterate this in the role PMs, here are the actions for each role:
Mafia: Here is the mafia QT for tonight: [link]. Tonight you and your gang may kill one light spirit. Please denote this by saying Kill: [name] in your QT, and that person will be killed that night. Cop: Tonight you may see the true alliance of a spirit. To do this, send me a PM stating Check: [name] and I will tell you their alignment at sunrise. Doc: Tonight you may save one spirit from the dark spirits. To do this send me a PM stating Save: [name] and that person will be safe from the dark spirits.
7. As people may try to play to one side or another, I have instituted a point system in order to determine the winner of the game:
Lynching/Killing the doctor: 6 points
Lynching/Killing the cop: 3 points
Lynching a townie: 1 points
Checking a mafia: 4 points
Saving someone: 8 points
For all townies:
Lynching a mafia: 4 points
The player ("host") with the most points at the end of the game wins.
8. It's strictly prohibited to post your role pm in this thread, or anywhere else. Doing this results into modkill. The same goes for any pm's received by me. However, feel free to roleclaim, in fact, I encourage it!
9. Other things I will modkill for: cheating, inactivity, and unsportsmanlike conduct.
10. If you're gonna be inactive, you might not want to sign up. I will use an iron fist on this rule, and I will replace you when you're inactive for 5+ phases in a row. If you have a prearranged long absence, then you can be absent. I will also send you a PM after 4 phases asking if you want to continue playing.
11. No posting in this thread regularly once you're dead. I will enforce this one as much as I can. And if you're dead, no giving away information, please. You can post a “bah” post, though.
12. I'd like a copy of all game related pm's. The same goes for any quicktopics created. (Oh, and town, this rule helps you, so make sure you forward all your PMs to me)
13. The game consists of many phases. Each phase (a day or night) consists of 24 hours. At 10 PM EDT a phase will end, and I will update. Make sure you've sent me your night actions by then! (3AM GMT).
14. Every day you can vote someone off (lynching). To vote, say vote: [person]. To change your vote, you will say unvote: [person] vote: [person2] If two people get an equal amount of votes, no one will get lynched.
15. If you change your name, please say so in the thread. Otherwise things can get very confusing for everyone.
16. The moderator can add or remove rules as he sees fit.
A quick background to mafia for those who are new (lifted from Rayne):
In mafia there are two opposing sides, the town and the mafia. The town are usually unaware of each other while the mafia work together to covertly kill the town. It is up to the town to work to take down the mafia before the mafia outnumbers them.
If the town eradicates all mafia members, the town wins. If the mafia outnumbers the town, the mafia wins.
Every day phase, all members are allowed to vote a person to lynch. At the end of the day, the person with the most votes is ‘killed’ or removed from play. In the event of a tie, no players are killed. After this, we enter night phase. During the night, mafia choose who they kill. Some innocents have a role that allows them night actions as well. Standard roles include the Doctor which protects people from dying, and the Cop which is able to determine alliances. These are very valuable members for the innocents. Please use your night actions wisely. Sometimes using them have consequences. Sometimes your roles work better if used with other roles.
Communicate well, and you stand a better chance of winning. This goes for both sides.