The Situation Room - Talk about the games or anything!

Page 1 of 656 1231151101501 ... LastLast
Like Tree3328Likes

Thread: The Situation Room - Talk about the games or anything!

shhhhh.
    Blog Entries

Follow Parma on Tumblr

Default The Situation Room - Talk about the games or anything!

Welcome to The Situation Room.

This thread holds two purposes. First, you might have some questions of how we run things here. If your question is not already answered in the rules, then feel free to bring it here and one of us will answer it. You can also discuss future games and gaming ideas or give advice on someone's playstyle is fine. Secondly, this thread also serves as a general chat thread for The War Room regulars. You can talk about anything you want that doesn't necessarily relate to the War Room itself, and interact with each other on different subjects should you want to.

RULES

1. All regular forum rules still apply here.

2. Do not discuss any current mafia game in this thread.

3. Please keep the chat open to everyone. A small group of users cannot exchange posts beyond two standard thread pages only between themselves. If staff judges that you are doing this, they will ask you to stop. If further violations occur, it can warrant infractions.
    Last edited by Paperhorse; 12th August 2012 at 10:01 AM.
    the vile, wandering one sneaks up

Hipsteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer Phoenicks's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Situation Room

What do you guys think of my concept of having open roles?
    "The inward skies of man will accompany him across any void upon which he ventures and will be with him to the end of time." -- Loren Eiseley

Blog Entries
    Follow Mintaka On Twitter
    Follow Mintaka on Tumblr

I found the concept interesting. Personally, I think it helped balance the town and mafia sides, giving mafia some room to role-claim while giving the town a list of roles to 'cross out' from as players were eliminated.
    (Although it wouldn't have been 100% assured, yes, since the game didn't reveal roles upon death)

At the end of my TWR Mafia, I received some suggestions that claiming roles' actions and names could have been allowed. Actually, I've been looking at some previous games and plan to test it in my next mafia. It could work while not spoiling the fun, seeing that game that had roles revealed at the start and it was a great game to play in.

No final decisions yet though :/

FC: 2294-4703-4926 | 제노바
    Friend Safari Info: Flying (Pidgey, Hoothoot, Fletchfinder)

Blog Entries

Yeah, that's one of my bigger concerns. Having played more mafia now, I'm honestly more a fan of the Mijz-style where players can't claim characters. Being on mafia in both of Hellion's games is harder because you have to prepare a roleclaim. I much prefer not having to do the research. There's still plenty of room for counterclaiming what abilities you have, anyways.

I prefer to not claim names. Even with names we're all familiar with (Pokemon, TRW, BMGF, etc.), it's just a little too much to keep track of. The innocents have an advantage when you allow it.
    "The inward skies of man will accompany him across any void upon which he ventures and will be with him to the end of time." -- Loren Eiseley

shhhhh.
    Blog Entries

Follow Parma on Tumblr

The idea of open roles forces the mafia to think carefully on who to kill depending on the situation at hand.

Townwise, they know what every role is, but not who owns the role in question. Then the town would have to massclaim their way to victory and let the mafia trip up.

The concept also increases the chances of multiple counterclaims.

@Mintaka - Role names? Ugh. Town already has it easy with claiming in the first place.
    the vile, wandering one sneaks up

Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm going to work on the concept again. I think it'd work better if there were lots of overlapping roles -- situations that allow the random kill that just happened to be several people, or a failed lynch that could mean the player who didn't get lynched is one of 3 roles. That sort of thing.

For instance, a werewolf who can't be lynched, but can be killed by the witches (mafia). Then have a survivor who can survive one lynch. And for good measure, a witch who can survive a lynch if no kill was made the night before. If somebody's not lynched, they've got to be one of those three -- but should you risk another lynch on them or not?

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenicks View Post
    Yeah, that's one of my bigger concerns. Having played more mafia now, I'm honestly more a fan of the Mijz-style where players can't claim characters.
    When it's a known series, it's pretty fun having to think up roleclaims as mafia. The problem is when it's a theme you know squad about. But even then, usually a teammate who does know the series can help you out.

Blog Entries

I was wondering if having a thread where people could propose ideas about future games is a good idea. Admitted we ARE running out of ideas =/
    My life is a nightmare

Some say I'm part opossum Opossumguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I find myself living proof of that, Sourcandy. Also, if this is for general questions, how long exactly are sign ups allowed to last? I'm getting worried for mine. Also, do I need to update the date in the title during sign ups? Sorry if those are stupid questions xD
    I love opossums. They shall rule the world. Oh, and I should be more active now.

Blog Entries

You have two weeks since the day you posted your thread. As for the update in the date I believe you just need to that after a phase change, so I would say no.
    My life is a nightmare

Blog Entries

To be honest, whether or not to allow players to share their character was one of the two questions I asked myself when writing the rules. Given certain mechanisms and roles, I ultimately decided to allow it. I don't mind sharing my knowledge on the theme with players should they have a question, as long as they don't ask me to choose a roleclaim for them. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Opossumguy View Post
    I find myself living proof of that, Sourcandy. Also, if this is for general questions, how long exactly are sign ups allowed to last? I'm getting worried for mine. Also, do I need to update the date in the title during sign ups? Sorry if those are stupid questions xD
    As per the rules,

8. Games have a two week period to begin, from the time it is first posted to the time all roles are sent.

After two weeks we may ask a GM if they still intend to host the game and we will work with them to get it running. If a GM however is not willing to make changes to allow his game to proceed, then the game may be shut down and the next person in line will be allowed to host. The host reserves the right to appeal to the War Room Staff should this occur, but this does not guarantee their game will be reopened.
    You have two weeks to complete your signups and send out your roles, so in your case, that would mean on the 21rst. Indicating the last update happens when you change phase, so you don't have to update the time. Though, you could update the number of spots you have left for players to know.
    Opossumguy likes this.

Blog Entries

Anyone prefer a play style when they're mafia or town. Or do you change it up every time?

Blog Entries

I dont think you are able to play and stick to a set style on different games since there are so many things to take into account; from your role to your teammates, even the host affects the way you play.
    My life is a nightmare

Blog Entries

I have such a delicious idea for my next mafia game. Bwahaha.

Blog Entries

another food mafia? we had one of those already .-.
    My life is a nightmare

Page 1 of 656 1231151101501 ... LastLast