Regarding the Hosting Queue & Game Cap

View Poll Results: What changes to the Hosting system would you suggest?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Reinstate the Hosting Queue and Retain the Game Cap

5 35.71%
  • Eliminate the Game Cap

9 64.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Regarding the Hosting Queue & Game Cap

Blog Entries

Default Regarding the Hosting Queue & Game Cap

Greetings, denizens of the War Room!

Over the past few days the Staff have been discussing possible adjustments to the Hosting procedures in the War Room. We would like to hear your input on this topic.

Here are the options we're looking into:

Option A.) Reinstate the Hosting Queue and Retain the Game Cap (Currently No More than Six Games at Once, Though it May Increase Somewhat)

Option B.) Eliminate the Game Cap

This thread exists for the purpose of discussion and/or friendly debate on this issue. So... discuss!

After three days of discussion, a poll will be added.

After the poll has been open for one week, this thread will be closed.

As not to influence your opinions, the War Room Staff will not be weighing in on this thread.

Note: We value your input and will be using the opinions and insights gathered in this thread to help us make a decision, however the decision will ultimately be made by the War Room Staff and is not bound to the results of this thread/poll.

Note 2: The poll shows what you voted for, so don't vote in the poll unless you want your opinion publicly known.
    Last edited by Master Mew; 28th March 2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Note 2

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Painting the night sky... Neon Borealis's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Neon Borealis on Tumblr

Default Re: Regarding the Hosting Queue & Game Cap

mmm... both have their pros and cons. But I fear that if the game cap is eliminated there will be too much games to handle.
    On the other hand, the games are advancing slowly and there are games that are waiting for their turn. I'd think that it be better to increase the current cap. Not a lot, as to keep some control. But enough to make games go faster.

And pardon my ignorance, but what is the hosting queque?

Winner of: Professor Layton Mafia, Warrior Cats Mafia, Kid Icarus Mafia, Star Wars Mafia,Legendary pokémon mafia, Make a Mafia, Smash Bros Mafia, Phoenix wright: Justice for all mafia and Eeveelution mafia
    Other games won: Vigilantes, Trauma Center: Virus attack

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

There are 10 games on the hosting at the moment. Since that's more than the cap I say keep the cap and queue in place. If you were to remove it, in worst case scenario, we'd have 10 games running immediatly. Not only would that cause all games to die out from inactivity, it might also mean that in the next months there'd be no more games. Of course that probably won't happen, but there's always that person who thinks that if there are 6 games running there could just as well be 7. Or 8. Or a new guy who doesn't care and posts his game regardless of how many others there are. Which would lead to decreased player amount and increased inactivity in games.

iirc removing the cap entirely was done in the past to encourage people to start to host when there was a lack of mafia games. That's not the case right now. So I don't really see the point in doing that. I'd say wait with removing the cap once the amount of games currently in progress drops below the cap with no games on the waiting list, to encourage people to host games. Removing the cap doesn't really improve anything right now, while it does have potential to do harm.
    Yato likes this.

Hipsteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer Phoenicks's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nah, why should we need controls?

Even right now the section is so slow that not all the slots are filled. Restoring the queue creates delays without the other benefits.

Remember when the average wait to host was 68 days?
    CrackFox likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Keep the game cap as it is. Maybe increase one or two more during when The War Room is popular. At times like this when things are going slowly, keep it at six or so.

And bring back the queue please. It saves us time going around asking other hosts if they're going to host. Besides, if there is no queue, the person on the forums more frequently than others will keep getting their turn, and others won't be able to get theirs. It's unfair for keep losing chances to host because of relatively less time spent on the forums

Blog Entries

I like the idea of the cap expanding and contracting with the popularity of the War Room. It's certainly more logical than keeping the cap the same number at all times. However, if the cap is removed, and hosts can post their games whenever, the War Room would offer more options for game mechanics and flavor to players. With that, though, less players would join games, and hosts would have to get used to that huge change and make very flexible mafias for the unpredictable player numbers. They would also have to make their games overall smaller. Hopefully, if the cap disappears, more people would join more games because they would be predictably smaller.

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

Well I'd definitely keep the Game Cap as it is. It's working out well, in my opinion. Hmm... overall, I would go with Option A.

all my life I've tried to hide what history has given me

Blog Entries

Getting rid of the game queue was a great idea. Having to wait unecessarily is annoying. Also it gives people the opportunity not to have to commit to anything. As Pheonix said, the war room is not exactly over run with people wanting to start new games. I recently took the sixth spot for my mafia game and that was after at least three days of it being available. Having a six game cap seems to be working fine. I wouldn't change anything. I think it will encourage people to host more games, knowing that they don't necessarily have to wait weeks and weeks and be stuck hosting it at an inconvenient time in their school/work lives.

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew View Post
    Here are the options we're looking into:

Option A.) Reinstate the Hosting Queue and Retain the Game Cap (Currently No More than Six Games at Once, Though it May Increase Somewhat)

Option B.) Eliminate the Game Cap
    I take it that we could suggest options ourselves that may be taken into consideration instead of the already limited 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew View Post
    As not to influence your opinions, the War Room Staff will not be weighing in on this thread.
    This makes no sense. Even though The War Room Staff will be making the final decision and could influence others' opinions, that does not mean that they shouldn't weigh in on the thread. They're part of the community too, and I'd love to hear their opinion on why some ideas won't work and some feedback on some of the already given ideas. They don't have to, they're not obliged of course, but it would be lovely to hear what they have to say so we could get a better idea here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HumanDawn View Post
    I take it that we could suggest options ourselves that may be taken into consideration instead of the already limited 2?
    You are welcome and encouraged to share any and all suggestions you have regarding this issue in this thread.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Blog Entries

I'd like to just suggest one thing: Whichever option is chosen, a lot of games could be open at the same time (more so for option B than A, but still). When that happens, a lot of games do not get enough sign ups in time before they're archived. What I'd like to suggest is that the sign up time be extended when this is all said and done.

Blog Entries

Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

I definitely think the cap needs to stay in place at least. While I thought things felt more orderly with the hosting queue, overall, I understand why it isn't really necessary as much as the game cap.

In regards to what jokool said, I think that extending the time for sign-ups might be a good idea. Perhaps having different times for sign-ups for different size games, like large games get more time, since it is frequently more difficult for a 25+ player game to fill than a 10 or so player one, even if it has a theme that appeals to many people. Additionally, it would help insure that hosts aren't discouraged from making large games, so there would be variety in the size of games available.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum Achromatic View Post
    And bring back the queue please. It saves us time going around asking other hosts if they're going to host. Besides, if there is no queue, the person on the forums more frequently than others will keep getting their turn, and others won't be able to get theirs. It's unfair for keep losing chances to host because of relatively less time spent on the forums
    I think that it cuts both ways -- if you're online more often with a queue system, you can get your name in earlier and wait less than people who aren't online as much. If there's no cap, you can host whenever you want -- no waiting needed. Isn't that more fair than an average wait of 68 days?

Quote Originally Posted by FinalArcadia View Post
    I definitely think the cap needs to stay in place at least. While I thought things felt more orderly with the hosting queue, overall, I understand why it isn't really necessary as much as the game cap.
    I wanted to share this old post of Master Mew's:

Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew
    The current Large Game queue contains 15 games. Given the above model, the queue will, on average, become one game longer every 54.75 days. In almost exactly two years and three months, the hosting qeue will be at 30 games.

In other words, given the admittedly limited pool of data, it would appear that the current hosting qeue system is almost at equillibrium. On the downside, the average waiting period on the Hosting Queue is currently sitting at 68 days and will grow as the Hosting Queue grows.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

@Phoenicks; So let's say I'm on bmgf far more frequently than others. I create games very quickly and host them any time possible. The thing is, there will be other users missing their chance to post their games just because they hadn't been online when I was. There will always be a game hosted by Dark Blueberry at least once a few weeks, and won't that seem selfish? (Again, I doubt anyone's that selfish enough to ignore other users but hypothetically speaking). If people are cool with a certain user always hosting their game multiple times in a row, then I guess my point might not stand valid. I'm wondering that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum Achromatic View Post
    The thing is, there will be other users missing their chance to post their games just because they hadn't been online when I was.
    Without a queue and a cap, there is no missed chance. Anyone who is capable of running a game may so long as there isn't a queue.

There will always be a game hosted by Dark Blueberry at least once a few weeks, and won't that seem selfish? (Again, I doubt anyone's that selfish enough to ignore other users but hypothetically speaking). If people are cool with a certain user always hosting their game multiple times in a row, then I guess my point might not stand valid. I'm wondering that.
    Users only have to join the games they want to join -- especially when there's no cap and anyone can host. In a system with no caps, someone can only host many games if people are willing to play in them.

In a system with caps, because this frequent host has a non-expiring golden ticket, people might sign up because this is one of the only options.

I agree with your worries a lot -- it would be unfair if people couldn't participate in The War Room. I think that this is more likely to happen in a system with a cap -- when there's a limited supply and the most eager hosts will generally get it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast