Mafia: Pokemon Best Wishes! Season 2 Mafia - ENDGAME TOWN AND INDEPENDENT WIN 06/01/13 - Page 4
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Best Wishes! Season 2 Mafia - ENDGAME TOWN AND INDEPENDENT WIN 06/01/13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Pokemon Best Wishes! Season 2 Mafia - Night 0 Role Confirmation! 29/01/2013

However, there have been more than a few games where mafia has actually been struck on Day 1, thanks to some slip-ups caused by random voting, or just scummy behavior being readily apparent. A lynch itself may not be necessary to catch such things (though it isn't always a bad thing, for sure), but votes are important, especially to analyze later on. Even seemingly random votes can sometimes be seen to have had meaning behind them, after more pieces fall into place.

VOTE: Fushimi

I know you've been online and all but have yet to post, so any comments on the Day 1 debate?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pokemon Best Wishes! Season 2 Mafia - Night 0 Role Confirmation! 29/01/2013

There's really nothing for me to mention as of yet.

Vote: Shadows

Because of shadows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fushimi View Post
    No comment on anything? Not on the timeless debate on what is a good course of action on Day 1, or any sort of comment on anyone's reactions to said debate (or anything else, for that matter)?

It'd be great to get even more discussion going, to head into Night 1 with things to look at, so getting opinions out could be useful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FinalArcadia View Post
    No comment on anything? Not on the timeless debate on what is a good course of action on Day 1, or any sort of comment on anyone's reactions to said debate (or anything else, for that matter)?

It'd be great to get even more discussion going, to head into Night 1 with things to look at, so getting opinions out could be useful.
    There's nothing to add to that debate that hasn't been already said. That debate doesn't show much because it's a matter of opinion and play style.

If I find something I'll say it. However, right now there isn't much to look at besides that debate. I'm going to wait a little more to actually add to the discussion. There's still quite a bit of time, so no need to rush.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There's nothing to add to that debate that hasn't been already said. That debate doesn't show much because it's a matter of opinion and play style.

If I find something I'll say it. However, right now there isn't much to look at besides that debate. I'm going to wait a little more to actually add to the discussion. There's still quite a bit of time, so no need to rush.
    I was kind of looking for what your opinion personally was on Day 1 and if anything from that discussion stood out, but eh, fair enough, it is early in the phase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Okay, for once, I'm going to be serious on day one:

@m0ckingbird20; I don't really know your play style since you're new here (btw, welcome to the Bulbagarden War Room ), but anyway, your actions seem town for the moment, and I agree that most mafia games start with a insanely random day 1...

@Midorikawa; Some of what you said is a bit odd. While I agree that finding slip ups on Day 1 is a good method, wanting to wait until another phase to vote is optimal play for some players, and I don't see it as scummy behavior.

Now for my vote: VOTE: Fynx

Quote Originally Posted by Fynx View Post
    Oooh, what a start.

VOTE: Dark Blueberry

Seems like mafia just trying to get an easy post so that they won't be seen as lurking.
    A fairly serious discussion was happening, and all you can do is post another random vote? Seems like you're trying to throw off the discussion.

Also, in regards to the bold part, the same could be said for you.
    Last edited by jokool; 30th January 2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Derp...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Alright, I know it's early, but ISO time!

Also, I feel another Day 1 commentary on game-theory coming on...

Part A:
    ISO

@m0ckingbird20

@Dark Blueberry

@Momoka

@Midorikawa

@Fynx

@FinalArcadia

@Fushimi

Part B:
    How to use your vote to find scum.

Alright, so I started typing up one of my standard rants, but I've changed my mind. Why waste my effort expounding upon this topic when someone else has already done such a great job of explaining how voting is supposed to work?

So, without further ado, here is Thor665's (one of the coolest people on MafiaScum) rant on how to use your vote to catch scum:

Quote Originally Posted by Thor665
    I hear this all the time when people aren't voting because they don't want to 'waste' their vote or something. It's utter gak and dumb in my opinion - there are so few times when it is actually a good idea to not have a vote in play. I have answered this a number of times, but here's Thor's theory of "Use Your Vote (you lackwit!)"

A vote is a weapon, a weapon in finding scum. You need to figure out who you suspect, you need to decide someone you're willing to see dead - then you need to vote them. Then you need to explain why they need death, you need to see who supports you, who opposes you. Then, if you get enough people together you can get them to L-1 and see how they react. Maybe someone will want to hammer, maybe there will be a claim, maybe there won't. Maybe other people will hate that wagon and start a new one on someone different, someone they do see as scummy. People will debate these wagons.

That generates reads, real reads, reads that matter. Going "oh, Chauncy, I find in the sweet afternoons as I sip my whiskey that I occasionally suspect Rupert" doesn't mean gak. Saying "Let's lynch Rupert, I am happy to have him dead" - that matters, that is a commitment, that is a goal. Moving forward from those pressures we will eventually get a L-1 *and* a hammer intent *and* a claim. At that point we can have real discussion, because everyone who isn't voting the lynch will need to offer solid thoughts on it, and everyone who is still voting will need to nut up and prove they have intent there. Maybe the lynch will happen, maybe it won't. There shouldn't be more than 2 claims in the course of a day, but it's fine to have those two and lynch one of them.

Then, Day 2, we will look back on Day 1 and go "hey, look, when this player was about to be lynched this other player acted odd" and we will move from theory hunting into real hunting.

Or, we can all stand around and NOT vote...

Because...that will...help?

I'm not sure why...

Now that was a Day 1 in a Newbie, and some games are more or less forgiving on number of claims, but...meh, 2-3 is probably a safe concept to have at all times.
    Vote: Dark Blueberry

Because this is a perfectly fine RVS wagon and I'm not really sure why there aren't more sheep on it.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Doctor jokool while I was writing this. I didn't really feel like plugging his post into my already overgrown wallpost, so I'll comment on jokool's post later.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew View Post
    EDIT: Ninja'd by Doctor jokool while I was writing this. I didn't really feel like plugging his post into my already overgrown wallpost, so I'll comment on jokool's post later.
    Ehehehe.... Sorry about the ninja'd thing...

Anyway, you bring up some good points, but I find if funny that most of them contradict what I said.

The Lord of the Dance m0ckingbird20's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Visit m0ckingbird20's Youtube Channel

OK, Master Mew I am still reading what you posted I have read your comments on me and Thors text. Which btw is just another opinion on how to play the game.

I see that many of you think that I said that we SHOULDN'T vote at day 1. What I said was that if we are to do so let's do it correctly. Plus lynching is Towns strongest weapon but Mafia can use it to their advantage. What I meant is that if each one of us goes voting a different person so we can see their reaction it ends up in a mess.

Besides I didn't equate voting with killing I said that a lynch is a kill. Which does reveals the targets side but it's too late if he is with town.

Oh and usually most people voted by someone end up being more suspicious than before regardless if they "failed" the "test". So I don't think the random voting to test people is a really reliable method.

I don't know you might have covered up some of the things I said but I haven't finished reading your post yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew
    This looks like a pretty standard RVS (random voting stage) vote. One thing I don't like about it, though: You didn't ask anyone to sheep it.

"Because of masters," just drives home the already obvious point that this vote is random, and basically translates into, "I'm placing this vote here so I can say I voted during RVS, but please don't follow my bandwagon because it has no basis and is probably wrong." It is self-defeating. Even if Soulmaster happens to be Scum, he isn't going to be threatened by this vote because the wagon has no teeth - he will not feel pressured, and he will not scumslip - in fact, he probably won't respond at all. I wouldn't.
    I find it strange how you're looking into my first post so much. That was a joke vote and I wasn't looking for him to say anything back, because there is literally nothing to say to that. What I was looking for was others responses to it. I was certainly not going to keep that vote if something better came along.

I agree with most of what you said here. One small quibble, though: A "random" lynch on Day 1 usually is a liability to the Town. A random bandwagon, on the other hand, can lead to solid reads on multiple players and help the Town to arrive at a non-random lynch Day 1 - which is fabulously Pro-Town and really needs to happen more often.
    Um... but that's exactly what I was saying.

once in a lifetime we're breaking all the rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

@Momoka It may have been what you meant, but it isn't what you said. You said you disagreed with the premise that "random lynching" is a liability to the Town - I said random lynching is a liability, but a random bandwagon doesn't have to be. The distinction is significant.

And now, with a couple votes on Dark Blueberry, it's time to demonstrate how RVS wagons are supposed to work (though it would be easier with a few more votes, but I have a feeling that's getting a bit ambitious).

@Dark Blueberry Fynx and I have decided we would be comfortable with lynching you today if you don't convince us you are a Townie. Now, there isn't much of a case against you at the moment that you can fairly be expected to offer rebuttal on, so there is really only one way to assert your Towniness: By doing something that only Townies can do, and which Scum must try to fake.

Scumhunt. Scumhunt like you've never scumhunted before! (Though, not the way you would if you'd never scumhunted before )

Since you obviously won't want to be the lynch today, please present a better alternative lynch for the day by carefully examining the posts that have been made so far and voting for whoever looks the scummiest so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Look, Master Mew... By simply giving everyone some steps they should follow to have the best performance kinda defeats the purpose. If everyone scumhunts in a specific way and everyone tries the same tricks that is simply unefficient. Everyone will know how to react on everything. That's why there are different playstyles so giving us Thors text and correcting everything we posts according to your playstyle and giving terms to eny kind of action/trick we can follow doesn't really help. So instead of doing that try using your method withough saying out loud and when you get to something let us know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by m0ckingbird20 View Post
    Look, Master Mew... By simply giving everyone some steps they should follow to have the best performance kinda defeats the purpose. If everyone scumhunts in a specific way and everyone tries the same tricks that is simply unefficient. Everyone will know how to react on everything. That's why there are different playstyles so giving us Thors text and correcting everything we posts according to your playstyle and giving terms to eny kind of action/trick we can follow doesn't really help. So instead of doing that try using your method withough saying out loud and when you get to something let us know.
    This is a team game, though. If we all go off and do our own thing, we will lose.

The Town is greater as a team than the sum of its parts, so we need to cooperate. I'm going to keep promoting what I believe is optimal play, play by which we can find scum and win, until I am persuaded otherwise.

What is your plan, and what can I do to help you accomplish it? If your plan sounds better than mine, then we'll follow it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ckingbird20 View Post
    This is a team game, though. If we all go off and do our own thing, we will lose.

The Town is greater as a team than the sum of its parts, so we need to cooperate. I'm going to keep promoting what I believe is optimal play, play by which we can find scum and win, until I am persuaded otherwise.

What is your plan, and what can I do to help you accomplish it? If your plan sounds better than mine, then we'll follow it.
    I didn't say that we should work seperately am i that unclear? Listen I don't say your beliefs are wrong nor that I have a better idea than all of them but you can't handle every move each town player makes if it's a team game let other people have an opinion too. Also as I said you can promote what you believe is better to do but after a point it works against us as mafia knows how to respond.

Now the way I want to work doesn't differ much than your but I am not being negative to almost every post someone makes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have no intention of "handling every move each town player makes," and even if I did, the notion that Scum are going to "know how to respond," just because I am clear in my methodology is false.

I'm not being negative, I'm being critical - there is a distinction. I'm analyzing intent, weeding out anti-town behavior, and scumhunting.

We're getting into the weeds now, though, so I'll just ask you a direct question: Is there anyone who looks more likely to be scum than random chance?

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast