Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Nameless Mafia - Endgame - Mafia Win [11-14]

Rock of Ages! Zenax's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Zenax on Tumblr

Default Re: Nameless Mafia - Day 1 - Dawn of uncertainty [10-24]

Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post
    Ah, I see we have the typical "no lynch" vs "random vote" argument that happens in almost every single game, followed by [Zenax, Phoenicks, Ryuutakeshi, etc.] explaining how mafia games are actually played. TheMissingno. was disappointed, but he was not surprised.
    Pardon me for sharing my viewpoint on what I thought was a dumb situation, it won't happen again.

Now Zenax, if you could indulge the thread further, please tell me why I shouldn't vote for you right now.
    Because it's the beginning of Day 1 and because the reasoning for voting me would be flawed?

However, Nick is right when he says that a no lynch is optimal when the amount of players is even, so this phase ending with a no lynch wouldn't be a catastrophe*.

*Note that this does not mean everyone should vote no lynch to get this phase over with.
    Phoenicks likes this.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zenax View Post
    Ah, I see we have the typical "no lynch" vs "random vote" argument that happens in almost every single game, followed by [Zenax, Phoenicks, Ryuutakeshi, etc.] explaining how mafia games are actually played. TheMissingno. was disappointed, but he was not surprised.
    Pardon me for sharing my viewpoint on what I thought was a dumb situation, it won't happen again.
    Excuse the misunderstanding, I actually think you did the right thing. It was more a criticism of the situation rather than any individuals.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

I was starting to question my vote, but now that Phoenicks has proven how much better off we'll be without lynching today, I feel like my decision was a good one. :)

Thank you, Phoenicks for making me feel better about myself and my action. :)

Rock of Ages! Zenax's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Zenax on Tumblr

I'd still like to bring up this:

Quote Originally Posted by Zenax View Post
    However, Nick is right when he says that a no lynch is optimal when the amount of players is even, so this phase ending with a no lynch wouldn't be a catastrophe*.

*Note that this does not mean everyone should vote no lynch to get this phase over with.
    Voting no lynch to get this phase over with as fast as possible essentially comes back to wasting a phase, even if it increases the town's odds in the long run.

Blog Entries

I read that. It doesn't change the fact that you made me feel like I was playing Mafia the "wrong" way for voting no lynch first-thing. :/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I read that. It doesn't change the fact that you made me feel like I was playing Mafia the "wrong" way for voting no lynch first-thing. :/
    You voted No Lynch for the wrong reasons. That's why. There's no doubt that voting No Lynch was, as already said, optimal for our situation, but you were doing it for entirely the wrong reasons, which is why Zenax took it upon himself to discuss it with you.

Blog Entries

No one wants you to feel like you're playing "wrong," there really isn't a wrong way to play Day 1 at this point. It does generally go against conventional wisdom to vote No Lynch, though, so it tends to raise eyebrows.

You seem, to me, like someone who votes No Lynch on Day 1 fairly often (I would go back through recent games and check, but I'm feeling a bit demotivated at present, it does seem like I remember having this No Lynch debate with you before, however), so your vote doesn't particularly concern me. In such a long Phase, though, the timing of your vote is peculiar.

As for this archaic Lynch/No Lynch controversy, I've never liked playing by-the-numbers. The idea that not lynching somehow increases the statistical probability of us successfully lynching all the mafia members just feels... meh. Suffice it to say, if someone does something suspicious between now and the end of the Phase, I see no good reason not to pursue it (statistical probability doesn't really apply if the votes aren't random). Phoenicks does make a good argument against a random lynch, however.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Blog Entries

I occasionally vote no lynch on day one, but it really depends on the number of players in the game. In this case, it is very small and we don't have much room to lynch someone out.

I am happy to have started us on a discussion, even though this is often brought up in games. :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew View Post
    No one wants you to feel like you're playing "wrong," there really isn't a wrong way to play Day 1 at this point. It does generally go against conventional wisdom to vote No Lynch, though, so it tends to raise eyebrows.

You seem, to me, like someone who votes No Lynch on Day 1 fairly often (I would go back through recent games and check, but I'm feeling a bit demotivated at present, it does seem like I remember having this No Lynch debate with you before, however), so your vote doesn't particularly concern me. In such a long Phase, though, the timing of your vote is peculiar.

As for this archaic Lynch/No Lynch controversy, I've never liked playing by-the-numbers. The idea that not lynching somehow increases the statistical probability of us successfully lynching all the mafia members just feels... meh. Suffice it to say, if someone does something suspicious between now and the end of the Phase, I see no good reason not to pursue it (statistical probability doesn't really apply if the votes aren't random). Phoenicks does make a good argument against a random lynch, however.
    I'm having trouble seeing the point in this entire post. Would you care to enlighten us all as to why you posted that?

Trophies
    Blog Entries

If you did do that, then it would be meta reasoning, which (rumor has it) is bad. Also the phase can end at any time if 6 people decide to vote, so yeah I'd agree with you that throwing out a vote right out of the gate slightly peculiar.

Why not play by the numbers? After all, mafia games are (supposedly) about logic, and nothing is more logical than numbers.
    Last edited by TheMissingno.; 26th October 2012 at 02:20 PM.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post

I'm having trouble seeing the point in this entire post. Would you care to enlighten us all as to why you posted that?
    To point out that No Lynch is better than a random lynch, but a reasoned lynch is better than No Lynch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post

To point out that No Lynch is better than a random lynch, but a reasoned lynch is better than No Lynch.

Yes, because that conclusion hadn't already been reached...

gold staryu for u

Blog Entries

Every conclusion has already been reached because this is the most tired argument ever.

Blog Entries

Why not play by the numbers? After all, mafia games are (supposedly) about logic, and nothing is more logical than numbers.
    Because I never liked Moneyball.

EDIT: Crap, I meant to add that to my previous post.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

So because you didn't like a film, you're going to act in a way that defies logic?
    Zima likes this.
    That's nice.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast