Mafia: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Endgame - Town/Independent Win - Page 12

Page 12 of 64 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 960
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Endgame - Town/Independent Win

  1. #166
    noble roar Buoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    olivine city, johto.
    Posts
    2,105
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Day 1 - Let's get dangerous!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpy View Post
    Why? How do you know they wouldn't slip up?
    You can't 'accidentally' vote somebody to try and lynch them. You can hardly 'slip up' and end up lynching someone.

    Not true at all. Different people=different behaviors.
    I said 'if anyone's attacked enough'. The word enough is there for a reason. Different people have different limits, too, and I said if anyone gets attacked ENOUGH (i.e. attacked to a certain level) for their vote, they're going to withdraw it, unless they have a really good reason not to withdraw it. My point is still valid. Oswin was attacked far less for his vote than Neon and Noivern, and that's why he kept his as opposed to them withdrawing theirs.

    Oswin kept his vote because he wasn't really attacked that much; Neon and Noivern were both leapt upon for their votes, which is why they didn't keep theirs.
    I was pointing out the difference between their situations -- trying to strengthen my point that people who are attacked a lot for their votes are likely to withdraw them.

    I said that as a possible theory. If you read my first post then you would have seen that I also presented a theory of Phoenicks being mafia.
    It doesn't matter what you said before -- you were probably more aware of what you were saying then than you are now. In the particular sentence where I picked up the 'slip up' ("It shows they were trying to avoid mislynching him with attention already on them") there is no 'if' or 'maybe' or 'would' or 'could' -- there's no suggestion of a POSSIBILITY in that sentence. You're saying it as though you already know that it's going to be a mislynch. What's more is that you USE this sentence as a basis for a possibility in your next one: you say that, because the lynch on Phoenicks would have been a mislynch if it was executed, that it 'COULD' mean that Neon and Noivern are mafia. The fact that you based a conditional sentence off of that sentence suggests that you do indeed think that Phoenicks' death would be a mislynch as it being a fact, rather than a possibility -- and you can't know that it would be a mislynch unless you're mafia.

    How are we to trust Mijz's word on that, plus what does that have to do with anything? We should keep discussing and looking for mafia slip ups.
    This is your first mention of slip-ups yet in this game. It's strange that it comes in the exact same post where you're defending yourself because of your own slip-up. It's -- weirdly enough -- almost as if you're trying to look for someone else to 'slip-up' so you can shift attention to them. And discuss what exactly? Do you want to bring up any points for discussion? You can't just say 'let's discuss!' without anything suggested to discuss.

    I've played two games with Phoenicks. In one I died early and he was town but I didn't keep up with the game to see his behavior. In the other he was mafia and I again died early but kept up with the game. He was mafia and looked really pro-town meaning he's a tricky player and one I will never trust without a cop check and dead godfather. Pro-town=/= town.
    This is another recap that doesn't add anything meaningful to your post -- at all. You basically just regurgitated exactly what Spectrum Achromatic said, except with your own little anecdote tied in. :l

    Yeah you can. Cop checks when there is no worries of something like godfather and other things like that.
    Sorry, can you read? I was almost sure I said 'most' situations.

    Actually some would take it seriously because playing behavior can easily decide someone's alignment.
    here's the thing! there's no such concept as being 'too pro-town'! it's impossible to be 'TOO pro-town'! what a shocker

    This is BMG not another forum so your comments are irrelevant.
    Not irrelevant. I'm showing her that her logic would not be widely accepted -- BMG sure as hell isn't the be-all and end-all of mafia. It's not like her logic can't be presented on another forum -- anyone on the internet can come and read what she just wrote. Okay, let's have it your way: if someone from another forum came here and read that, she'd get seriously laughed at. Is that any better for you, princess?

    Mafias are based off of meta to find scum so it should never be brushed off.
    Scumhunting is never based off meta. It's surprising to find that you don't think meta should be brushed off when you're ready to brush off more valid comments, such as my one about the other forums. Apparently more logical things than meta are 'irrelevant' to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenicks View Post
    A few more thoughts:

    1. If I'm pro-town as scum or town then it's a nulltell.
    Maybe to you but to others it could be a scumtell.
    Then they're wrong. Literally. There's no two ways about it. If Phoenicks is always pro-town, then you can't tell what alignment he is either way, thus rendering it a null tell. If he is pro-town no matter what his alignment, then there is no way you can interpret that as either a scumtell or a towntell, because there are equal chances of it being either, so therefore it's a null tell.

    As is any player in this game including you.
    As I recall, he didn't suggest that he wasn't included in that. You shouldn't try and make it about him when it's clearly about someone else, and when he didn't even say the logic didn't apply to himself.

    1) I'm a girl
    2) What about their responses do you agree with?
    3) How is pointing out what others ignored not adding anything. I didn't repeat anything said and instead brought up what was ignored so please tell me how I didn't add anything? Or is it because one of them is your scumbuddy and you don't like that I brought attention on them?
    Just something here. I'm not trying to speak for Phoenicks, but generally when a person doesn't specify what they agree with in an argument, that means they agree with all of it. Additionally, not pointing out something in-thread is not ignoring it -- a person can still acknowledge something without having to recap the thread to everyone just to make sure that someone didn't miss something blindingly obvious. You didn't add anything because you literally didn't point out anything that wasn't already obvious to people.

  2. #167
    Hipsteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer Phoenicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    4,509
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Day 1 - Let's get dangerous!

    Walls of text!

    Can we all please agree to not be snarky? It's a downer.

    Mijz: My parentheticals weren't about you.

    Not going to have a discussion about who scum should kill.

    Even if votes are locked we should play on because people voting (or pretending to) makes more data than not voting.

    Harpy:

    Sorry for using the wrong pronoun.

    If I act the same way as town an scum then, objectively, it is a nulltell. The logical progression "he does this as town and scum, therefore it doesn't show town/scum" doesn't stop being true.

    Your responses make me feel more comfortable voting you.

    Buoy: yes I would say I agree with most/all of the cases you and jda have made on Harpy.

    Unless anyone has questions about that I'm going to pause and let other people enter the discussion.

  3. #168
    I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    In fields of grey
    Posts
    10,556
    Blog Entries
    18

    Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Day 1 - Let's get dangerous!

    @Phoenicks; All jda said was a repeat of what Froakie said which I find interesting you didn't point out at all yet you were saying that I didn't contribute and you agree with everything Buoy said. jda only argued with me about my concentration being more on Oswin and not considering jda. Which I explained multiple times. So in other words you agree with him that someone should not judge anything about votes being useful and whatnot yet you did the same exact thing to Spectrum.

  4. #169
    remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Castelia City
    Posts
    2,211
    Blog Entries
    24

    Follow jda95 on Tumblr

    Default Re: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Day 1 - Let's get dangerous!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpy View Post
    @Phoenicks; All jda said was a repeat of what Froakie said which I find interesting you didn't point out at all yet you were saying that I didn't contribute and you agree with everything Buoy said. jda only argued with me about my concentration being more on Oswin and not considering jda. Which I explained multiple times. So in other words you agree with him that someone should not judge anything about votes being useful and whatnot yet you did the same exact thing to Spectrum.
    fun fact! a vote for a player actually in the game is infinitely more useful than one for a player not in it (that's something i can say quantitatively)

    don't have much else to say about everything else that's been said right now
    apart from saying the assumption that "pro-town=/=town therefore pro-town=mafia" is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard in my life

  5. #170
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,663
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Day 1 - Let's get dangerous!

    Quote Originally Posted by jda95 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpy View Post
    @Phoenicks; All jda said was a repeat of what Froakie said which I find interesting you didn't point out at all yet you were saying that I didn't contribute and you agree with everything Buoy said. jda only argued with me about my concentration being more on Oswin and not considering jda. Which I explained multiple times. So in other words you agree with him that someone should not judge anything about votes being useful and whatnot yet you did the same exact thing to Spectrum.
    fun fact! a vote for a player actually in the game is infinitely more useful than one for a player not in it (that's something i can say quantitatively)

    don't have much else to say about everything else that's been said right now
    apart from saying the assumption that "pro-town=/=town therefore pro-town=mafia" is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard in my life
    That applies to Phoenicks 99.99%. Mafia would definitely try to look town as much as possible - and that's where we can find it plausible.

  6. #171
    remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Castelia City
    Posts
    2,211
    Blog Entries
    24

    Follow jda95 on Tumblr

    Default Re: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Day 1 - Let's get dangerous!

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum Achromatic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jda95 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpy View Post
    @Phoenicks; All jda said was a repeat of what Froakie said which I find interesting you didn't point out at all yet you were saying that I didn't contribute and you agree with everything Buoy said. jda only argued with me about my concentration being more on Oswin and not considering jda. Which I explained multiple times. So in other words you agree with him that someone should not judge anything about votes being useful and whatnot yet you did the same exact thing to Spectrum.
    fun fact! a vote for a player actually in the game is infinitely more useful than one for a player not in it (that's something i can say quantitatively)

    don't have much else to say about everything else that's been said right now
    apart from saying the assumption that "pro-town=/=town therefore pro-town=mafia" is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard in my life
    That applies to Phoenicks 99.99%. Mafia would definitely try to look town as much as possible - and that's where we can find it plausible.
    please tell me how immediately assuming a player is mafia because they are acting beneficial to the town is a good thing

  7. #172
    Rock of Ages! Zenax's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,894
    Blog Entries
    79

    Follow Zenax on Tumblr

    Default Re: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Day 1 - Let's get dangerous!

    Voting locked, update pending.

  8. #173
    Pink Spider Nytie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    In your bed
    Posts
    341

    Default Re: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Day 1 - Let's get dangerous!

    Okay, I think I've figured out where Spectrum is coming from. Mafiosos are sometimes overeager to prove that they are town and they try to be very active and aggressive - it's a mistake I've made before. However, it's important to distinguish between that and actual pro-town action, and jumping to conclusions without good evidence usually ends badly.

    Edit: Oops, phase change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zima
    My childhood just had a gun shoved up its ass.

  9. #174
    I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    In fields of grey
    Posts
    10,556
    Blog Entries
    18

    Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Day 1 - Let's get dangerous!

    @jda95; No one is saying that pro town does not make someone town. However it does not make everyone mafia either. Mafia can be just as pro town if not more than town. Spectrum and I tried to point out that Phoenicks looks very pro town as mafia

  10. #175
    remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Castelia City
    Posts
    2,211
    Blog Entries
    24

    Follow jda95 on Tumblr

    Default Re: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Day 1 - Let's get dangerous!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpy View Post
    @jda95; No one is saying that pro town does not make someone town. However it does not make everyone mafia either. Mafia can be just as pro town if not more than town. Spectrum and I tried to point out that Phoenicks looks very pro town as mafia
    you seem to be doing a lot of strange singling out. pro-town actually doesn't make someone town, as i've said, but the assumption that anyone is mafia simply because they're pro-town is not smart in the slightest. yes, phoenicks is a pro-town player when he's mafia. are you saying he's not pro-town when he's town? why is he the only person you're focusing on in this, has no one else acted pro-town today?

  11. #176
    Mr. F's Bulbawife Hitomi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    930
    Blog Entries
    16

    Follow Hitomi on Tumblr

    Default Re: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Day 1 - Let's get dangerous!

    Mafias are based off of meta to find scum so it should never be brushed off.
    I know it's between phases right now but

    you want to improve as a player with every game you play. Thus, if your play style is exactly the same and you don't learn from your mistakes and try different things in each game you play, you are missing the point of mafias. Adaptation to the games is what makes them fun, and when a person refuses to change his or her play style even a little bit from game to game it means he or she did not learn from their past mistakes and triumphs in previous games. If everyone played the same way every time without changing, then the only thing different from one game to another is the flavor text. That's boring. Meta is not a valid scumtell.

    If Phoenicks (or any player, really) always comes off as strongly town then that means they're doing it right. You always want to come off as town, and there's no such thing as "too town."
    jda95, Buoy and HumanDawn like this.

  12. #177
    I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    In fields of grey
    Posts
    10,556
    Blog Entries
    18

    Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Day 1 - Let's get dangerous!

    @Hitomi; While players should be improving they won't change their whole style immediately thus you can still notice specific things about their style. Knowing styles is meta and how you are able to catch scum amongst even the most pro town looking players.

  13. #178
    Rock of Ages! Zenax's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,894
    Blog Entries
    79

    Follow Zenax on Tumblr

    Default Re: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Day 1 - Let's get dangerous!

    Sherlock Holmes took a stand back once the conflict erupted and leaned on the wall opposite to the scene, maintaining a facade of casualness. Not engaging himself with a matter he was not involved in was only the most logical choice he could make. His many years as a private detective had him become an efficient actor who could appear to others like he wanted them to perceive him. This scenario proved to be a successful one; the attention he attracted was null, and he had gathered a large quantity of information on the characters surrounding him. There had been a casualty, but this was a necessary sacrifice to allow Sherlock to work his magic, and in the long run, he found, attempted arrests, and occasionally killed every wrongdoers present in the room.

    But this is not how it happened.

    Sherlock Holmes attempted to take a stand back once the conflict erupted in the hope of pinning down every criminals present in the area. But even the greatest masterminds cannot predict that a riled up crowd would jump on a man trying to slip away in the thought that he was one of the villains who had them gathered there. It was too late once Sherlock received the first unexpected blow behind the head; he now had absolutely no option left to escape. All he could do was watch with excessive anxiety the crowd tie his hands and slip a noose around his neck. Soon enough, the detective had become the first casualty.


    It is now Night 1.

    Day 2 will begin on June 21st at 10 PM, Eastern time.


  14. #179
    SHSL Gambler CrackFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,327
    Blog Entries
    114

    Default Re: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Day 1 - Let's get dangerous!

    I disagree and agree with quite a few points but these walls of text are tiring, in a nutshell.

    Mijz isn't always mafia. In most games i've played with him, he's town. Not saying it matters at all about past games but yeah, let's nip that accusation in the bud.
    I am inclined to trust his claims. Not because he is giving a town reading, just because I think he has more sense than to start faking abilities this early without good reason. It's risky and it wouldn't strike me as something he'd do at all. The only thing I am unsure about is his defense of Phoenicks.

    Can we stop about pointless posts. Does it really matter, there's a number of reasons why people might make them, at least 80% of those wouldn't add up to scum.

    I absolutely think that being too pro-town is cause for suspician on some occassions. It's a great way to not just blend in but also to establish yourself as an activist for the town and once that is established, manipulating unsuspecting townies. It's like if I secretly smashed a window by accident but I made a point of being the first one to say 'omg who the f**k did this'. For lots of people, psychologically they would have already decided I had nothing to do with it.

    Not saying that it's happening here at all. I'm just saying that I definitely agree, pro-town exists.

    As far as voting goes, i'd be inclined to vote Phoenicks if I had too but I couldn't do it with conviction. I didn't like the way he and others reacted to the joke voting, it held things up and anybody this headstrong so early, catches my eye.

    Edit: Oh great, we lynched the cop......
    Last edited by CrackFox; 20th June 2013 at 09:47 PM.

  15. #180
    URPG! GliscorMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Johto
    Posts
    2,949
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: Mafia Wars: The Scum Menace - Night 1 - The first victim

    Ok um. Anyone wish to discuss the following...

    1. Mijz was (presumably) telling the truth about a role in the game (presumably his role, however there are other factors).

    2. Mijz locked all votes early on and hit the cop (which I couldn't have possibly been the intention to kill the cop, but the fact that he locked the votes so early, nevertheless)

    My third point is more of an opened-ended question. Mijz, what were the specific hints that caused you to lynch Noivern?

    Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

Page 12 of 64 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •