Non-Mafia: Diplomacy (Beta Version 0.01) Europe Attacked By Aliens - Game Over [8/16/12] - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Diplomacy (Beta Version 0.01) Europe Attacked By Aliens - Game Over [8/16/12]

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Diplomacy (Beta Version 0.01) Fall 1902 [8/8/12]

Journal entry
    December 25, 1902

It is now day 297 of life in a trench. The Italian Third army has been stalemated south of Munich for all of last Summer and Fall. Luckily we have plenty of reserve forces, so myself and the rest of the 86th Infantry regiment have been spending no more than a week at a time on the front lines. Life in the trenches is pretty miserable, though I will say that cans are a lot easier to open. All you need to do is tie it to a stick and hold it above the trench and It'll be open in no time.

A break in the monotony came on November 3, when we were told that the German force would be divided as a result of our French allies' attack from the north. We were briefed on the attack, then finally made our advance on November 6. Unfortunately, the German army was not as divided as we had expected. After a 3 days of intense fighting, we were forced to fall back to our line.

Soon thereafter, we received word that the French army who was supposed to divide the German force came under attack themselves and were barely able to hold their own line let alone help us capture Munich. I guess I'm going to have to accept life in the trenches for the time being.

Today, however, is Christmas. The war has been temporarily called off, and the Germans have challenged us to a football match! It is strange though, although they are Germans, their supporters on the sidelines are yelling “hup Holland hup!”...

-Private Desiderio Giovanni, Italian Third Army, 86th Infantry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

January 3, 1903

Europe Consolidated!

It has been almost two years since European belligerance began, and finally Europe is completely controlled by the seven Great Powers. Now that the less powerful nations have all been annexed, the powers have no choice but to set their sites on each other if they wish to continue their conquest.

In the east, the Balkans became a battleground this past Fall. Czarist forces and the Turkish imperial army both decided that Archduke Feralize controls enough of the Balkans already. Whether these attacks were independent or coordinated is still unknown.

In the North Atlantic, Great Britain continues its imperial tradition by blockading and controlling Norway and Portugal. Although they have been reluctant to engage in any conflict up until now, they are certainly ready for it at this point.

The German Western front heats up again as France and Italy attempt a coordinated attack on Germany's southern stronghold of Munich. Unfortunately this attack was foiled when Kaiser Mijzelffan tried to force the French 106th regiment out of Ruhr. The Kaiser sent a wire to French President Monsieur Ryuutakeshi which reportedly read “GTFO my country, n00b. [end of line]” to which the President replied “Lol u mad bro? [end of line]” to which the Kaiser replied “Nice job in Munich dude [end of line]” The back and forth goes on for many more wires, eventually becoming as stalemated as the western front itself.

Map of Current Locations

It is now Spring 1903.

Please submit your orders by 1:00 PM EDT on Monday, August 13.
    That's nice.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Diplomacy (Beta Version 0.01) Spring 1903 [8/11/12]

Reminder: This phase ends at 1:00 PM EDT (2 hours from now). Please submit your orders.
    That's nice.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Diplomacy (Beta Version 0.01) Spring 1903 [8/11/12]

SRING 1903 ORDERS

Great Britain:
    F Edl - Nth
    F Por - Mid
    A Lpl Hold
    F Nwy Hold
    A Lon Hold

France:
    All Units Hold

Germany:
    A Mun Hold
    A Ber S A mun
    A Bel Hold
    A Hol S A Bel
    A Kle – Ruh
    F Den S A Kle

Austria-Hungary:
    A Vie - Gal
    A Ser – Rum
    F Alb - Tri
    F Gre - Alb
    A Boh S A Trl - Mun

Italy:
    A Trl-Mun
    A Ple-Mar
    A Ven-Trl
    F Lyo S A Ple-Mar

Russia:
    A Stp - Fin
    A War - Pru
    A Gal - Sil
    F Swe Hold
    A Rum Hold
    F Sev Hold

Turkey:
    All Units Hold

Map of movements:

No one was dislodged.

Map of current locations:

No flavor text today since not enough happened.

It is now Fall 1903, feel free to talk to other players.

This phase ends at 3:00 PM EDT on Wednesday, August 15.
    Last edited by TheMissingno.; 13th August 2012 at 05:25 PM.
    That's nice.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Diplomacy (Beta Version 0.01) Fall 1903 [8/11/12]

... wait, I thought orders were due by 11 PM, not AM...

Well, that sucks for me...

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

ANNOUNCEMENT

The first thing is, I knew this was a long game when it started, but I didn't realize just how long it would be. I appologize for monopolizing so much of your time, but that's why it's a Beta test.

The second thing is, you guys have to work together. If you don't, this game is just going to go on forever. So here's what I'm going to do:
    1) I'm extending the current phase to 11:00 tonight EDT.
    2) I'm voiding all current orders.
    3) I want you to resubmit your orders if you have already submitted them, after conferring with your allies or people who think that you're allies.

If no one talks to anyone else about their movements by the end of this phase, I'm nuking the game.

Alternatively, if 4 or more of you vote to end the game right now, I'll end the game. Don't worry about making me feel bad, I was wary about whether the game would work in Bulbagarden from the start, so it makes no difference to me. I'm just glad it was given a chance.

If you would like to continue the game, then by all means I'm happy to continue it, but I'd like to give the option at this point.

Please respond in thread to let me know you read this.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

I'd personally like to continue...

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulmaster On Twitter
    Visit Soulmaster's Youtube Channel

I read it and understand to a point. And I fully want to continue on with the game.

Credit for the Banner goes to Pyradox. Link to URPG stats
    Mafia Win/Lose Tally
    Black FC: 1506 9762 7606: White 2 FC: 2967-6420-8683: My Fanclub
    Winner of LOST mafia, My Little Pony: Friendship is Mafia 2, Bloons Tower Defense 5 Mafia, Fos Ro Mafia, Legendary Pokemon Mafia, War Room Mafia 5, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Mafia, Pokemon Movie Mafia
    Writer's Workshop Moderator

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmaster View Post
    I read it and understand to a point. And I fully want to continue on with the game.
    Is there a point that you don't understand?
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

No I understand all of the points you said. And actually now that I think I about it my point wouldn't make sense so nevermind about that part.

Mafia Win/Lose Tally
    Winner of LOST mafia, My Little Pony: Friendship is Mafia 2, Bloons Tower Defense 5 Mafia, Fos Ro Mafia, Legendary Pokemon Mafia, War Room Mafia 5, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Mafia, Pokemon Movie Mafia

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post
    you guys have to work together
    Yeah I tried doing that and got backstabbed twice. Which makes it so that because the three people bordering me are attacking me meaning basically I have to hold/defend everything for an eternity, which kinda renders me unable to help out others. Not to mention that those I could best help out would probably be those who are bordering me, which incidently happen to all be the ones that are attacking me.

So yeah, no offense, but if this game were to be nuked I wouldn't really have a problem with it. It's not your fault, it's just how the situation happened to turn out for 'ol Germany.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Mostly I'm just trying to work with the phase changes, since my workschedule has me on 12 hours shifts.

EDIT: Honestly, looking at this game I'm thinking that this is going to take a long time with the current setup. We may need to refine the rules and structure for future games.
    Last edited by Ryuutakeshi; 15th August 2012 at 10:56 PM.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

I would like to thank everyone for participating in this beta test of Diplomacy! Although I am forced to conclude that this game is not War Room material, I am glad it was given a chance and I hope the players got at least some enjoyment out of it.

There are several reasons why I think it didn't work:

1) Every player must be active every phase. If even one player misses a phase, it can mess with the whole game.

2) Complexity of the rules. The learning curve for figuring out how everything moves and how to attack other players is too large. It would work if everyone was familiar with the rules or if we were playing in person where I could explain and demonstrate, but online everyone needs to do their own research and some people may interpret things differently than others, and my explanations may be understood better by some players than others.

3) Level of commitment. Diplomacy requires, in my opinion, more time dedication than a mafia game. I know a lot of people have outside lives and are also most likely participating in mafia or other forum games, and may not be able to give this game the full attention it requires. This is different for a mafia game, where you'd be able to miss a phase or two with very little consequence.

4) It's too long. It's the sixth phase and still no one is even close to being knocked out of the game. I can easily see this game lasting another couple of months, and I'm positive it would not keep everyone's attention for that long.

As host, I enjoyed the game quite a bit. It was exciting watching people making and breaking alliances, and I enjoyed looking at a country and seeing what I'd do if I were them then comparing it to what they actually did. I will say that during the first couple phases it was not too difficult (about the same work load as hosting a mafia game), but later on as the game progressed and more units were put on the board it became more difficult to resolve orders and more time consuming to make the maps and write the flavor text.

Once again I would like to thank everyone for participating, and I hope this does not deter you from trying other games that I may try in The War Room in the future!
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Diplomacy (Beta Version 0.01) Europe Attacked By Aliens - Game Over [8/16/12]

:( I can understand all of the points you said but still sad that the game had to end.

And sorry Mijz but that is how the game goes.

Mafia Win/Lose Tally

Blog Entries

Default Re: Diplomacy (Beta Version 0.01) Europe Attacked By Aliens - Game Over [8/16/12]

Sorry it didn't work out the greatest, Missy. I did enjoy playing though. Thanks for inviting me. :D

Maybe make a newer, improved version some other time?

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Exor View Post
    Maybe make a newer, improved version some other time?
    We can talk about it in the lab.
    That's nice.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast