Words and phrases that leave a bad taste your mind - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Words and phrases that leave a bad taste your mind

  1. #16
    Pata pata pata pata pata! Italy-kun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    1,958
    Blog Entries
    71

    Follow Italy-kun on Tumblr

    Default Re: Words and phrases that leave a bad taste your mind

    I hate the phrase "Yes, and [...]" because of this improv class I took where that was the technique. Someone says the first line, and then the reply has to be "Yes, and whatever," and then the first person says yes and... again, and so on and so on, ANNNNND SCENE! And the crowd goes goddamn wild. Except not, because we just showed them literally the dumbest thing they'd ever seen.
    Niji likes this.
    "It just goes to show you that people with brain damage are the real heroes, aren't they?" --Wheatley, Portal 2
    "Open mouth, insert foot." --Joe Kido, Digimon Adventure 01
    "Screw it, the gloves are coming off, MEAN BEAN MACHINE!" --Me playing Sonic Mega Collection

    Played in Inazuma Eleven Mafia, Super Street Fighter IV Mafia and Pokemon Christmas Mafia 2011. Winning faction of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Mafia and DPPt: Sinnoh Mafia! SO HAPPY!

  2. #17
    mostly just a recluse
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    481
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: Words and phrases that leave a bad taste your mind

    'unctuous' is just a word that makes my skin crawl

  3. #18
    Dream on! Fennel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Rivière Walk (Canada)
    Posts
    1,403
    Blog Entries
    68

    Follow Fennel on Tumblr

    Default Re: Words and phrases that leave a bad taste your mind

    "Deal with it," because it reminds me of the 2010-ish era when every person and their mother used it as a lazy comeback, making them sound like obnoxious 13 year-olds (and that's an insult to 13 year olds).
    Zkat likes this.

  4. #19
    Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    22,043
    Blog Entries
    199
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

    Default Re: Words and phrases that leave a bad taste your mind

    "Get a life"- Everyone is different and I just hate it when people say this, how do they know what a person's life is like, sometimes people have difficulties, it's kind of insensitive

    "Get over it"- Again, you don't know what the person is going through and it can be hard to understand, everyone copes with things their own way.

    "That's that/Because I said so"- This seriously annoys me, it really doesen't help and is really not an answer to anything.
    Zkat likes this.

  5. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    373
    Follow juiceboxxx On Twitter
    Follow juiceboxxx on Tumblr

    Default Re: Words and phrases that leave a bad taste your mind

    Quote Originally Posted by Combusken View Post
    "No offense, but..."

    "It's just my opinion!"/"Freedom as speech!!1!"

    "Get over it"/"Deal with it" in almost all of the contexts its said to me in.

    Same with "What did you expect?!" as a response.
    Add "you're just too sensitive" to that list and you've got me.
    Silverwynde likes this.

  6. #21
    Nugget Combusken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Dream World (and not waking up)
    Posts
    113

    Follow Combusken on Tumblr

    Default Re: Words and phrases that leave a bad taste your mind

    Quote Originally Posted by juiceboxxx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Combusken View Post
    "No offense, but..."

    "It's just my opinion!"/"Freedom as speech!!1!"

    "Get over it"/"Deal with it" in almost all of the contexts its said to me in.

    Same with "What did you expect?!" as a response.
    Add "you're just too sensitive" to that list and you've got me.
    *groan* Same, I forgot about that one...that practically goes with all of the above.

    Mega Torchic.
    (I couldn't think of a good username so I used my fav pokemon)

  7. #22
    You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,569
    Blog Entries
    29

    Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

    Default Re: Words and phrases that leave a bad taste your mind

    "Friend-zone" No, being nice to someone does not entitle you to a relationship/sex.

    "Tone policing" Remember kids, being a dick to someone is OK as long as they're more privileged than you!

    "Window shopping" nooooope goodbye

  8. #23
    Nugget Combusken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Dream World (and not waking up)
    Posts
    113

    Follow Combusken on Tumblr

    Default Re: Words and phrases that leave a bad taste your mind

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    "Friend-zone" No, being nice to someone does not entitle you to a relationship/sex.
    The only good that comes from that phrase is that it makes figuring out which people I should completely avoid easier.

    Mega Torchic.
    (I couldn't think of a good username so I used my fav pokemon)

  9. #24
    Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    835
    Blog Entries
    42
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

    Default Re: Words and phrases that leave a bad taste your mind

    "Wax"

    It is because of a horror movie that I got scared the most. Although I like using the term "without wax" as a replacement for "sincerity".

    URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Parting Shot! Petalburg Woods Forums!

  10. #25
    Leggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Posts
    973
    Blog Entries
    56

    Follow Leggo on Tumblr Visit Leggo's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Words and phrases that leave a bad taste your mind

    "Shut up" when used to make someone quiet. There are other ways to do it politely.
    "Four eyes"; no one uses this term anymore, but my mom does in Chinese to describe a person who wears glasses.
    "f*cking" when used for in example, "I f*cking hate..."

  11. #26
    TheMissingno.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    No.
    Posts
    15,034
    Trophies
    Blog Entries
    408

    Default Re: Words and phrases that leave a bad taste your mind

    Uncomfortable words you say?

    Silverwynde likes this.
    That's nice.

  12. #27
    Akromatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,341

    Default Re: Words and phrases that leave a bad taste your mind

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post
    Uncomfortable words you say?

    919: Tween Bromance - explain xkcd

  13. #28
    カジカ Zima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,512
    Blog Entries
    118

    Default Re: Words and phrases that leave a bad taste your mind

    Mostly things my dad tells me.

    "You need to be more adult."

    "Pay attention."

    "Your mom didn't teach you how to be a woman."

  14. #29
    So what's your wish? Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,670
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Words and phrases that leave a bad taste your mind

    It might sound weird... but my own name. I feel really uncomfortable when someone says my name, be it my family, friends, or people I just know. Maybe its because I was frequently called to be scolded for wrongdoings or get punished for things that weren't my fault - whatever the reason, my name holds a negative air to me. I don't hate my name...but I wish people just didn't call me by my name. Nicknames are perfectly fine.

    I wince when someone calls my name like, "Hello Kyriaki!". But I have no way of telling them not to call me by my name because there's nothing rude or wrong about it. My personal bad taste, I guess...

  15. #30
    Registered User HAL9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Words and phrases that leave a bad taste your mind

    Anything that enforces traditional sexual norms or sexism really incenses me. Like "you should like football because you're a man" or assuming I like sports.

    "you [blank] like a girl"
    "Be a man"
    "Man up"

    Also common mispronunciations of words and the new 'cool' phrases anger me.
    "Liberry"
    "turnt up"
    TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 and Zkat like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •