What's your blood type? - Page 3

View Poll Results: What is your blood type?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+

    13 25.00%
  • A-

    4 7.69%
  • B+

    5 9.62%
  • B-

    2 3.85%
  • O+

    14 26.92%
  • O-

    3 5.77%
  • AB+

    4 7.69%
  • AB-

    0 0%
  • Other

    1 1.92%
  • I dunno.

    6 11.54%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 63
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: What's your blood type?

  1. #31
    Resident Nympho Princess of Lumas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Waiting for an open toilet
    Posts
    1,119
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: What's your blood type?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Gata View Post
    AB+. For some reason they checked my blood type when I was born
    Because it's important to know if you ever get a blood transfusion?

    Anyway, probably the reason the O people are getting hounded by the Red Cross is because O blood means you are a universal donor - any blood type can take your blood, but Os can only take blood from other Os. It's because the A, B and AB blood types indicate the presence of A, B, or both A and B antigens, while O means you don't have any of those antigens. And you can't take blood from someone who has any antigens your blood doesn't have.

    So for an AB like me, it's the reverse - I'm a universal receiver. Since my blood contains both possible antigens, I can take blood from someone of any Rh-positive blood type, but only the 3.4% of the U.S. population who also is AB+ can use my blood. And since they can also use O+, A+ or B+ blood, my blood isn't particularly valuable. (But that doesn't mean that ABs shouldn't participate in blood drives! I would if I wasn't so squeamish about needles.)

    (I've also heard the universal donor/receiver thing is the reverse with plasma donations - can anyone else clarify this?)
    Most people I know don't get their blood type checked at birth.

    Is your point that AB are a useful type to donate? Or not really?
    Ryou Bakura, Yami Bakura, and I live together in Lief's bedroom. Back off

  2. #32
    A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    By the banks of the River Charles
    Posts
    3,577
    Blog Entries
    35

    Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

    Default Re: What's your blood type?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Gata View Post
    Is your point that AB are a useful type to donate? Or not really?
    If you're getting a blood transfusion, it's important to know what your blood type is no matter what it is because, if you're not AB, there are certain blood types you can't take from - for example, as I said, Os can only take blood from other Os. Even if you're AB and are a "universal receiver," you're still limited by whether you are Rh positive or negative (the + or - in your blood type). You can't take from someone who is negative if you're positive, and vice versa. So even though my sister and I are both ABs, we can't share blood because I'm AB+ and she's AB-.

    Anyway, the fact that ABs can take any blood but can only donate to other ABs, who are the rarest blood type, doesn't make them particular useful on that criterion alone, but your blood might be valuable in other ways. And since there are always people in need of blood transfusions, you should always donate if you can.

    Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

  3. #33
    Resident Nympho Princess of Lumas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Waiting for an open toilet
    Posts
    1,119
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: What's your blood type?

    I see. My point wasn't that it was a bad thing. Just rather unusual that my twin and I got our blood types checked at birth. Most people I kno get learn it later
    Ryou Bakura, Yami Bakura, and I live together in Lief's bedroom. Back off

  4. #34
    A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    By the banks of the River Charles
    Posts
    3,577
    Blog Entries
    35

    Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

    Default Re: What's your blood type?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Gata View Post
    I see. My point wasn't that it was a bad thing. Just rather unusual that my twin and I got our blood types checked at birth. Most people I kno get learn it later
    Oh, okay. Are you identical twins? Because then it would be the same, right?

    Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

  5. #35
    Resident Nympho Princess of Lumas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Waiting for an open toilet
    Posts
    1,119
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: What's your blood type?

    @Goodbye Blue Monday;
    Yes they are the same as we are identical
    Ryou Bakura, Yami Bakura, and I live together in Lief's bedroom. Back off

  6. #36
    You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Florida, land of OJ and AC
    Posts
    6,080
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default Re: What's your blood type?

    O-negatives can give blood to anybody, AB-positives can recieve blood from anybody.

  7. #37
    A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    By the banks of the River Charles
    Posts
    3,577
    Blog Entries
    35

    Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

    Default Re: What's your blood type?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Pschitt View Post
    O-negatives can give blood to anybody, AB-positives can recieve blood from anybody.
    Oh wow, I didn't know this. Apparently I was confused about how the Rh factor works.

    (more reason not to feel bad with my fear of needles keeping me from donating blood :P)

    Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

  8. #38
    Your Darkest Nightmare Locked In My Asylum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Wreaking havoc on your dreams...
    Posts
    198
    Blog Entries
    23

    Follow Locked In My Asylum on Tumblr Visit Locked In My Asylum's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: What's your blood type?

    I am AB+. But I'm too chicken to go give blood. ;___;
    3DS FC: 3738 0398 8876 Mikan

  9. #39
    Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    22,057
    Blog Entries
    199
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

    Default Re: What's your blood type?

    I dont know my exact blood type, but I know I am O, not sure whether O+ or O-

  10. #40
    A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    By the banks of the River Charles
    Posts
    3,577
    Blog Entries
    35

    Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

    Default Re: What's your blood type?

    Quote Originally Posted by Devized Mocker View Post
    I am AB+. But I'm too chicken to go give blood. ;___;
    Good thing you're a universal receiver then

    Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

  11. #41
    カジカ Zima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,513
    Blog Entries
    118

    Default Re: What's your blood type?

    I'm O+. I wish I was O-, but I can still donate to half of the population. :)

  12. #42
    samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Posts
    4,582
    Blog Entries
    9
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

    Default Re: What's your blood type?

    O+

    I've donated blood a number of times. Sure, I get a little nervous in the build-up to the needle going in, but it's actually quite an exciting experience all-told.

  13. #43
    ☆ ☆ ☆ Cariad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    wales
    Posts
    8,881
    Blog Entries
    94
    Follow Cariad On Twitter Add Cariad on Google+
    Follow Cariad on Tumblr Visit Cariad's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: What's your blood type?

    I actually have no idea. I've never been told, and I've never visited a doctor to find out. I'm also too young to donate blood, so I suppose my blood type will stay unbeknownst to be for awhile.

  14. #44
    The Guardian of Fairness Dark Charizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    29

    Follow Dark Charizard on Tumblr

    Default Re: What's your blood type?

    I'm not so sure about mine.. it could either be A negative or AB negative.

  15. #45
    maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Posts
    10,589
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: What's your blood type?

    O something, I believe.
    seconds to forever

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •