Street Art

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By maglev

Thread: Street Art

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Street Art

Hailing in the second age of OTB, new threads based on actual discussion have arrived.

This thread is for general street art discussion, this includes sticker art, graffiti, street poster art, guerrilla art, art installations and street sculptures. Share pictures, discuss street art, post videos of artist creating work.

Lets get the ball rolling, who are our favourite artists?

It's cliche, but I do love Banksy, I think his art, such as rats or policeman have really ushered in a generation of appealing art to younger people, as opposed to modern art which they are unlikely to appreciate.
    maglev is invisible

Blog Entries
    Follow Cariad On Twitter Add Cariad on Google+
    Follow Cariad on Tumblr Visit Cariad's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Street Art

I don't have a favourite artist in particular, but some of the street I've seen on the internet, on TV and in books is spectacular. Since I live in a big city, street art is quite common here, though there's not much you could consider actual "art". There is, however, a picture of three buses that's hidden nicely behind an alley not far from where I used to live, and it's wonderful. I'll see if I can find a picture of it sometime.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meulin Leijon View Post
    I don't have a favourite artist in particular, but some of the street I've seen on the internet, on TV and in books is spectacular. Since I live in a big city, street art is quite common here, though there's not much you could consider actual "art". There is, however, a picture of three buses that's hidden nicely behind an alley not far from where I used to live, and it's wonderful. I'll see if I can find a picture of it sometime.
    I'd be really interested in seeing that :) There isn't much graffiti where I live, some scrawled words here and there. Yesterday I saw that Radiohead character logo sprayed on a wall. It was alright :p
    Jack Pschitt likes this.
    maglev is invisible

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Since rats are my favourite animal, I always seem to wind up with cards and gifts featuring Banksy's rat art (anagrams!) whenever birthdays and holidays roll around...which I have absolutely no problem with. After all, Banksy is awesome. As wonderful as that rat stuff is, my favourite Banksy piece (although it wasn't street art) is actually "Can't Beat The Feeling", which features Mickey Mouse and Ronald McDonald walking hand in hand with the equally iconic but considerably less cheery "Napalm Girl". Disturbing but fascinating, and always a great talking point, I find.

The only problem with all that unauthorised Banksy merchandise floating about is their tendency to market non-Banksy street art under the Banksy banner, turning it into something of a generic brand name, and causing confusion as to what's actually his and what was created by a similar-minded artist. The most recurrent example is that bloody gun-wielding panda - Banksy himself has stated that he's not responsible for that one, yet I'm constantly seeing it on "Bansky" prints, mugs and calendars.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Since rats are my favourite animal, I always seem to wind up with cards and gifts featuring Banksy's rat art (anagrams!) whenever birthdays and holidays roll around...which I have absolutely no problem with. After all, Banksy is awesome. As wonderful as that rat stuff is, my favourite Banksy piece (although it wasn't street art) is actually "Can't Beat The Feeling", which features Mickey Mouse and Ronald McDonald walking hand in hand with the equally iconic but considerably less cheery "Napalm Girl". Disturbing but fascinating, and always a great talking point, I find.

The only problem with all that unauthorised Banksy merchandise floating about is their tendency to market non-Banksy street art under the Banksy banner, turning it into something of a generic brand name, and causing confusion as to what's actually his and what was created by a similar-minded artist. The most recurrent example is that bloody gun-wielding panda - Banksy himself has stated that he's not responsible for that one, yet I'm constantly seeing it on "Bansky" prints, mugs and calendars.

Spoilers for obvious reasons. I like this picture because it's a very obvious contrast between human life, on one hand we have creation, consumer life style, art, films, food and on the other hand we have destruction, torture, death. This little piece of art represents it all, the coming together of what people can be, creative souls and forces of destruction. It's a very effective piece.

Yeah I do see the black and white stencil art being lumped together as a Banksy, becuase Banksy is marketable, he's Madonna or Robert De Niro. If you say something is a Banksy, it's easier to sell and get away with printing it on mugs and t shirts.

Moving on from Banksy, another of my favourite artists, Shepard Fairey, who even you don't know the name, you've seen his art.
    - Warning huge! This is the HOPE poster from Obama's presidential campaign. I think it's a very striking image. In this piece we art too look at it and understand that if/when he was elected we'd have hope in his presidency. We'd have hope that he'd do well and support the people of America.
    maglev is invisible

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by fabfab View Post
    Spoilers for obvious reasons. I like this picture because it's a very obvious contrast between human life, on one hand we have creation, consumer life style, art, films, food and on the other hand we have destruction, torture, death. This little piece of art represents it all, the coming together of what people can be, creative souls and forces of destruction. It's a very effective piece.
    Although I think your analysis is very good, I'm not sure if Mickey and Ronald, in this context, are intended to represent human creativity so much as cheerful corporate icons concealing a much more sinsiter reality. The juxtaposition of three recognisable icons, one of them not like the others, does not go amiss - I understand it best as a commentary on the darker side of American culture (hidden behind an apparently fun-loving consumerist culture of Disneyland and Happy Meals) and its impact upon the rest of the world.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fabfab View Post
    Although I think your analysis is very good, I'm not sure if Mickey and Ronald, in this context, are intended to represent human creativity so much as cheerful corporate icons concealing a much more sinsiter reality. The juxtaposition of three recognisable icons, one of them not like the others, does not go amiss - I understand it best as a commentary on the darker side of American culture (hidden behind an apparently fun-loving consumerist culture of Disneyland and Happy Meals) and its impact upon the rest of the world.
    Art is subjective :p I agree with your analysis, I think it's about how America has impacted the world, through it's war and it's characters. That's what I like about art, you can take so much from it.
    maglev is invisible