Not enough time around the Holidays?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Setra

Thread: Not enough time around the Holidays?

Blog Entries

Default Not enough time around the Holidays?

Whenever the holidays and other special occassions come around, it feels like they come too some when you're an adult. Every year, whenever a holiday or any other special occassion comes around, i usually try to get into the spirit/mood by watching a movie or Tv show episode that relates to said occassion (sometimes directly, other times indirectly). But in recent years, it feels like my ability to hold the feeling with has started to weaken. I've even tried looking back on my past experiences around these holidays/experiences, and even that only went so far.

Take now for example, it's June and during this time of year, i make it a point to try and get into the Last Day of School/Graduation/Summer Vacation/Father's Day mood. But this year, my mind just seems like its elsewhere and not on what i want. This has happened with Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas as well.

Has anyone else ever felt this way?

Blog Entries
    Follow Cariad On Twitter Add Cariad on Google+
    Follow Cariad on Tumblr Visit Cariad's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Not enough time around the Holidays?

I'd be lying if I said I did. No matter what the celebration or holiday, I try to get into the spirit of it at least two weeks beforehand, even if that's considered stupidly early. Very rarely do I fail to get into the spirit of an occasion, perhaps only failing that at the lesser popular holidays like Mother's Day and Father's Day. If I can't get into the right mindset for something, then I'll try all I can to prepare myself, including watching TV shows, listening to music. etc. Then again, I'm not an adult, so. :P

Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr Visit Setra's Youtube Channel

It really depends. I always manage to get in the mood for Christmas. But other holidays not so much. Like right now, I still can't believe I'm out of school.
    97SaturnSL1 likes this.

Blog Entries

I always make a big deal of things like Christmas and Halloween but I know what you mean. The excitement and atmosphere is either there or it isn't. Getting older is a big part of it. You lose the child like excitement for things even though you might try to hold on to it.

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

@Srebak; This is a very common feature of coming of age. Personally, I wouldn't try to fight it.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Setra View Post
    It really depends. I always manage to get in the mood for Christmas. But other holidays not so much. Like right now, I still can't believe I'm out of school.
    yea christmas is the big one for me. when christmas music starts playing on the radio, the station getrs locked on only ones that play christmas music. Heck i even listen to christmas music all year to get pumped and because i do like many of the songs

Blog Entries

To tell the truth, I used to have Christmas songs stuck in my head a few years back, during winter. Now, it just seems sudden.

Banner made by Sir Caprizant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Setra View Post
    Lucky. I've got to wait until next Thursday until my school lets out. At least I don't have any more homework.

Blog Entries

It's finally October again, but now, it feels like things are just so uneasy for me. Usually, i try to use this month to think about three thing: My Birthday, Halloween and Supernatural/fantasy/paranormal literature. But now, I'm worried about how what is coming this month will distract from all of that. For one thing, with new episodes of 7 different TV shows coming out, i fear that i what i see from them will make it harder to think about Halloween and my Birthday, they've all already done things like that in the past, and I'm already thinking about other Tv shows that are doing that as well. And for another thing, I'm currently stuck on a Fanfiction I'm writing, which means i'm stuck on it until i get passed my impasse, not a good thing, since it also distracts from my Birthday, Halloween and Supernatural/fantasy/paranormal literature. I feel like the universe is trying to keep me from enjoying October.

Follow Aulos on Tumblr

Well, yeah... Once I was about to hit 18, Christmas really lost its magic for me. I really don't know why, but it did. No Christmas ever since as been the same, and it doesn't matter what gifts I get or even if I know what I'm getting or not. The magic is gone.

I still like Christmas, but it used to be a really exciting time of the year, and a day I would anxiously await. Now it's almost like any other day. =(
    ~~

Fox Witch of Red Arylett Dawnsborough's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kinda the same has happened to me, really. Holidays are more of an exciting backdrop than the main focus of my life anymore. They don't feel the same, or as exciting. But I consider this a good thing. Because if all I had to look forward to was gifts and a few days of the year, that meant my life was pretty sad. There wasn't much substance or thought to it.

Now, I have more distractions, more good things making me happy. And more to do. More goals, and more direction. I'd rather have this, even if it means the holidays aren't as magical anymore. One of the reasons they aren't though is 'cause I can't figure out exactly how to celebrate them as an adult. (Particularly Halloween.) Due to my lack of a social circle, I can't just throw a party. Wouldn't know who to invite. But I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually. I've got a better chance this year now that I have at least one of my best friends living with me.