Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Misc Simple Questions / Simple Answers Thread

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Misc Simple Questions / Simple Answers Thread

Wow, way more than I thought! Thanks @Mintaka;
    maglev is invisible

Short version: is my iphone charging me to connect to my home wireless internet?

Longer version: okay I finally gave in and bought an iphone the other day and already wishing I hadn't. Spent my first 48 hours of ownership finding out what it wasn't compatible with, what it wouldn't transfer from my old phone and basically every other reason why you shouldn't buy one of the little buggers. *deep breath* so I connected the damn thing to my home wireless internet, put in password etc (I believe this is called 'tethering?'). It's showing as connected. But without making any calls or texts or buying anything from itunes, in 1 day my credit dropped from £3 something to 80p! The hell!? I only became aware of this when my phone sent a message saying I was low on credit! I used the internet function again (only to email myself some pictures and download, seeing as my new phone doesn't like bluetooth) and was alarmed to see my balance had dropped to 18p. This is fucking ridiculous. Someone help, please!? Don't understand why it would cost to connect on my home wireless internet when my 3ds and laptop both do it for free. I'm on pay as you go and usually £10 lasts me around 6 months. I cannot afford this shit. Am kind of panicking and wishing I hadn't spend a lot of money just to get all this grief.

Any advice at all would be appreciated, thanks ;__;

I breed egg move pokes & DW females.

Blog Entries

Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

@LadySasaki; Probably, when you bought the phone, the company you made the contract with had set WAP (GPRS) in the settings. You may have connected to Wi-Fi, but whenever you USE internet, there is a chance that it is set to use that WAP instead of your free Wi-Fi. You should call the company's Support and explain the situation, they will know how to make it out. (try to check Internet Settings or something before doing that)

PS There is not a chance everything will ever charge you for using your WiFi. It definitely is something else.

I got a scum result on that bush! LYNCH IT LYNCH IT LYNCH IT!

Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

Okay, what is "Mary Sue"?

I've been seeing it as an description of certain characters, and I'm clueless on it.

URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Headbutt! Petalburg Woods Forums!

Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire Magnezone View Post
    Okay, what is "Mary Sue"?

I've been seeing it as an description of certain characters, and I'm clueless on it.
    A Mary Sue is basically a character in story/fanfiction based on the author and how they perceive themselves. They're also usually a female character who have perfect characteristic traits such "straight A student who is amazing at sports and has many talents and abilities".They have the perfect body features and are really popular , have no real flaws and is superior to all other characters in a story. They usually fall in love with the author's favorite book character or main character in the story. Everything goes their way and they pretty much have a perfect life.

A good example of a Mary Sue is Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way from the infamous Harry Potter fan fic, "My Immortal" A "goffic" or gothic wizard who attends Hogwarts and is in a relationship with Draco Malfloy. In the (badly written) story she happens to be chosen by Dumbledore (or Dumblydore) to kill Voldermort by travelling back in time seducing his younger self, Tom Satan Bombodil, so that he wouldn't turn to evil. Yeah read it if you want a good laugh.

Another good example of a Mary Sue on the right:
    Last edited by Kouzan; 29th May 2013 at 03:29 AM.
    Voltaire Magneton likes this.

Mörë kvlt thän thöv Kane Dunestorm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kane Dunestorm On Twitter Add Kane Dunestorm on Facebook Add Kane Dunestorm on Google+
    Add Kane Dunestorm on Linkedin Follow Kane Dunestorm on Tumblr Follow Kane Dunestorm on Flickr Visit Kane Dunestorm's Youtube Channel

Good example of a Gary Stu, or the male equivalent, and quite blatantly so and an actual canon character: Galen Marek, aka Starkiller. Its an example of just how low the Star Wars franchise has fallen.

In essence, if the character is given extra "bling" items such as powers, items and/or accomplishments instead of actual depth such as flaws or interesting traits to become interesting, they are most likely a Mary Sue/Gary Stu.

YouTube | Tumblr | Dunestorm.com
    I play Pokémon Y! My Friend Code is: 4983-5814-6366

Blog Entries

Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

I have heard that the male equivalent of Mary Sue is Marty Stu, not Gary Stu. Opinions on that?

I got a scum result on that bush! LYNCH IT LYNCH IT LYNCH IT!

Blog Entries
    Follow Cariad On Twitter Add Cariad on Google+
    Follow Cariad on Tumblr Visit Cariad's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWartortle View Post
    I have heard that the male equivalent of Mary Sue is Marty Stu, not Gary Stu. Opinions on that?
    I've only ever heard Gary Stu, though perhaps different people and different websites and what not use Marty Stu. They're the same thing though, I'm sure people would understand no matter which one you used.
    Kane Dunestorm likes this.

Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWartortle View Post
    I think both are acceptable, but Marty Stu is the more commonly used one. Though sometime males are also referred to as Mary Sues too, though it's usually either Marty Sue or Gary Sue. Another variation is Larry Stu.

Follow EpicMewtwo On Twitter
    Visit EpicMewtwo's Youtube Channel

Default Lookin for a N64

So I was recently looking around the internets for old consoles and notices that the GBA SP and the N64 are a bit pricey. Does anyone know a site where either of these would be reletivly cheap? Note: The consoles don't have to come with games, just all the cables/ chargers to use them. (Also sorry I posted this as a poll earlier)
    ~EpicMewtwo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12