Language Help/Discussion/Advice Thread - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Language Help/Discussion/Advice Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: Language Help/Discussion/Advice Thread

@Kthleen; I think they're saying something along the lines of 'it's not cool by the French [people] on one Japanese tagboard'. Like, the French people on some random Japanese tagboard were less than impressed by the fact that these 'starters' turned out to be fakes.

Blog Entries

Visit Kthleen's Youtube Channel

"To be not cool by," huh? Ok then. Thank you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kthleen View Post
    "To be not cool by," huh? Thank you.
    Well, ça le fait is a sort of modernish expression used to say 'that's cool' or 'that's good' and suchlike. If you stick pas on that, you're basically saying 'not' (although where the ne you're supposed to add in with negative expressions went to I have no idea), and one of the many meanings of de is 'by', as in 'according to'. Stick that all together and you get 'that's not cool/good/acceptable/etc by'. It's not actually a verb or anything, more of an idiomatic turn of phrase.

Blog Entries

Ah, that's cool. Thank you for the deeper explanation.

As for the missing "ne," I had a French teacher tell me it's dropped sometimes (looking it up just now, it's apparently an informal thing), so I've just accepted it as something that happens.
    Last edited by Kthleen; 18th February 2013 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemoll View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fahrenheit View Post
    I am a native Finnish speaker. For other languages I consider myself being quite fluent in English and Swedish and have moderate German skills. And I also know a few phrases in Estonian and Hungarian.
    I'll add you in. c: Wow, you're a first for Finnish, Swedish, Estonian and Hungarian. Are those languages quite similar, or vastly different?
    Of these languages Finnish and Estonian are the most similar. Finnish and Estonianhave many similar words and kind of similar pronounciation but when a native Estonian speaker speaks estonian I don't understand it very well, if all. Finnish and Hungarian are distant relatives, though it's a bit difficult to believe. Swedish is more close to German than to Finnish, so it's completely different.
    Last edited by Mr. Fahrenheit; 19th February 2013 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemoll View Post
    What are the five tones, if you don't mind me asking?
    Um. The 4 main tones in Mandarin are flat, rising, rising-then-falling, and falling ones. The 5th one is neutral and isn't marked when transcribed. The 3rd one appears to not really fit its description (falls and then falls some more). Messing up the tones will mess up your speech, too, since Mandarin's tones are the only way to distinguish hundreds of homonyms. (Ugh.) Example: 駡 - Mà - Curse, 孖 - Mā - Margin, 蟆 - Ma - Toad, 馬 - Mǎ - Horse, etc.

Also, Russian is my native language.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Any German speakers here?

I'm beginning to learn it as a requirement for my Masters degree, and because I have a shit-ton of research interests that are based around learning German (I'm a musicologist). My class mainly focuses on learning to read and write it, though, does anyone have some tips on where I can learn to speak it better?

Because if I do research in Germany I'm, you know, gonna have to know how to speak it, not just read it.

-

Je peux aider les personnes avec le français, aussi.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries
    Follow Meowly On Twitter Add Meowly on Facebook Add Meowly on Google+
    Follow Meowly on Tumblr Visit Meowly's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    Any German speakers here?

I'm beginning to learn it as a requirement for my Masters degree, and because I have a shit-ton of research interests that are based around learning German (I'm a musicologist). My class mainly focuses on learning to read and write it, though, does anyone have some tips on where I can learn to speak it better?

Because if I do research in Germany I'm, you know, gonna have to know how to speak it, not just read it.

-

Je peux aider les personnes avec le français, aussi.
    I'll add you in a sec.

I've been learning German for two years and we have a few German speakers here, too. But that's odd, why would your class only focus on reading and writing it? I thought they'd teach you the full set rather than just two key skills. I wish I could help, but I don't really know any places you could learn to speak it. I'm sure if you scoured the internet enough you'd find something, and there are a few apps on Amazon I know that aid German, but otherwise I'm not sure.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

@Pokemoll; Because it's a class designed for grad students who need to learn it mainly for scholarly purposes, which is more reading and translating texts than it is conversational skills. Most people in the class aren't planning to spend time in German-speaking countries, just that they're in fields where there's a lot of scholarship written in German and they want to be able to read it. I'm the exception because of my specific research interests (which have a lot to do with stuff I'd only find if I actually spent time looking in archives in Germany itself, so I'd be living there and thus have to use it conversationally).

I actually don't mind its reading-and-writing focus most of the time, because it means we're learning a lot more grammar and a lot less useless touristy vocab, though that also means it moves really, really fast. But I would like to figure out how to work on my speaking skills, because the downside is we don't spend a lot of time on pronunciation in the class.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries

@Buoy; @Shinobu;

I just remembered: there's a short song (a minute; the last 10 seconds are just vanity plates for Gaumont Pictures and Abrams Gentile Entertainment) in Spanish whose lyrics I would like to ask about. Would you be able to help? I got some of it, and my sister's friend helped as well, but I'm still unsure about the first verse. Just the Spanish is fine (though English would be cool, too, if you feel like it).

Some points:
    1. "Pacífica" is the Spanish name for Airlandis, the domed sky city that flies above the clouds. Humans live there because the Earth is now volcanic and barren due to (presumably) nuclear war.
    2. "Furia" is the Spanish name for Dreadwing, the bad guy.
    3. The "Dragonautas" are either dragonators (dragon aviators, people who fly dragons down to Earth's surface to grab the crystals that Pacífica/Airlandis uses as fuel) or the Dragon Flyz (a special group of 4 dragonator siblings). Maybe there's no differentiation in Spanish, I don't know (it was sometimes a bit blurry in the English version, too), but the show's English name is Dragon Flyz, so....

What we have:
    El futuro [something {se abrirá?}] y el pasado no se recordará
    [Something] Pacífica [something {sister's friend says "se juntara," but I really don't hear it...}]
    [Something] los dragónes saldremos a volar

Dragónes, máximo poder
    Y en el cielo siempre podremos vencer
    Si Furia ataca y nos amenaza
    Los Dragonautas salen a la casa

Siempre unidos (x4)

Dragónes, máximo poder
    Y en el cielo podremos vencer
    Siempre unidos

Blog Entries

@Kthleen; You got most of them, actually!

This is what I got from the video (obviously the punctuation isn't official, but it looks more zazzy with it):
    El futuro se abrirá,
    y el pasado no se recordará.
    Vos Pacifica recuperá,
    y en los dragones saldremos a volar.

Dragones, máximo poder!
    Y en el cielo siempre podremos vencer!
    Si Furia ataca y nos amenaza,
    los Dragonautas salen a la casa!

Siempre unidos [4x].

Dragones, máximo poder!
    Y en el cielo podremos vencer!

Siempre unidos!

Shinobu can check/verify/change/whatever this in his response if he needs/wants to, but I think I've got it right.

Translation (bear in mind this might not entirely capture the song's actual meaning, as meaning usually does get lost in translation but woteva):
    The future will open up,
    the past won't be remembered.
    You will save Airlandis,
    and we'll fly on dragons.

Dragons, maximum power!
    And in the sky we'll always win!
    If Dreadwing attacks and threatens us,
    the Dragonators will come to his house! (lmao)

Always united [4x].

Dragons, maximum power!
    And in the sky we'll always win!

Always united!

it's an amazing theme song when put into english. i definitely approve lmfao
    Last edited by Buoy; 8th May 2013 at 03:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Awesome! Thank you so much, Buoy!
    Last edited by Kthleen; 8th May 2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Spelled his name wrong -_-;;

Registered Nosy Airliner Comrade Zhenya's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmm, time to reveal my culture, etc. I've never told anyone here that kinda stuff.

BIG SURPRISE!

I'm Chinese (Native, although its now my 3rd language. I would say I'm fluent.)

English, my '1st' language, although I'm not native. I would say fluent too.

French. God, as if learning for the past 6 grades isn't bad enough. Now we have 10 periods of it every week. I love it though. So awesome speaking it in Public. Meh, maybe between advanced and fluent.

As for what I want to learn? Dutch, German, Russian, and Japanese.
    "Center, I have that little fuc... FOKKER in sight!" | Awesome Tumblr #1, Awesome Tumblr #2 FOLLOW for the best dashboard!

Sassy in a hat VoltChen Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow VoltChen Magneton On Twitter Add VoltChen Magneton on Facebook

Are there any people here who can translate Korean (which was already romanized into English) into English?

I think Korean is a good language to learn, since K-Pop started to become famous these days.

---

Anyways, I'm planning to take Spanish for my Third Year High School extra course. Are there anything that is very confusing that I should know about?

URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Parting Shot! Petalburg Woods Forums!

i'm native english speaker, intermediate in french (in a year's time, i could probably become fluent), and i know a very small amount of spanish.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234