Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Kingdom of Animals

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Kingdom of Animals

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Blade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Pschitt View Post
    Seems every place has its own version of the "big fucking bug". Down here that would probably be the horse fly, but if I had to pick something more unique I'd go with these big-ass yellow-and-orange grasshoppers that show up in the Summer. Nasty little creatures.

That's its habitat range, so ya'll have them down in Florida too. Surprisingly we don't have them here in Illinois, even though it's in the middle of the whole range. I first ran into them in Texas, and I'm pretty sure they were bigger than 5 inches. Then again, it's Texas, so anything goes.
    Hmm, I guess I should be grateful that I've never seen one. xD Reminds me of one very frightening experience I had in a public rest room at a beach here, aged seven years. The damn thing was huge, it looked like those mosquitoes from freaking Jumanji. I haven't seen one since, but an old friend of mine told of very similar bugs in Mississippi once.

Rocket traditionalist Hunter Blade's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Hunter Blade on Tumblr

Hmm, I guess I should be grateful that I've never seen one. xD Reminds me of one very frightening experience I had in a public rest room at a beach here, aged seven years. The damn thing was huge, it looked like those mosquitoes from freaking Jumanji. I haven't seen one since, but an old friend of mine told of very similar bugs in Mississippi once.
    Mosquito eater?
    Team Rocket - We're back in business.
    Actually, I never left.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Blade View Post
    Mosquito eater?
    MY FREAKING GOD I THINK THAT'S IT

WHAT HORRIBLE YET SLIGHTLY COMICAL MEMORIES

Blog Entries

MY FREAKING GOD I THINK THAT'S IT

WHAT HORRIBLE YET SLIGHTLY COMICAL MEMORIES
    When I lived in Louisiana, my sister and I would get excited when we saw them since that meant the mosquitoes were in danger and they'd leave us alone for a little bit.
    Actually, I never left.

Blog Entries
    Follow Mintaka On Twitter
    Follow Mintaka on Tumblr

UGH Mosquitoes and those insects that look like them. >_<

Insects that take up the annoying ranks in Korea...I'd definitely bring up cicadas. It's a torture when they keep on calling for their mate during the night. (Although we're to blame quite, they are mistaking night as day because of those bright street lights near the trees. And all they have is about ten days to find a mate before they die.) And they are creepy too. ><

(The image might not load as it's from a Korean website)

Also, 'flower cicadas' (I'm not sure if they have their own name in English, but that's how the Korean name is translated).

A group of them can literally drain trees dead. They're an introduced species in Korea and they've been a drastic problem since, especially as they don't have a predator yet.

TheCapsFan likes this.

FC: 2294-4703-4926 | 제노바
    Friend Safari Info: Flying (Pidgey, Hoothoot, Fletchfinder)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka View Post
    Insects that take up the annoying ranks in Korea...I'd definitely bring up cicadas. It's a torture when they keep on calling for their mate during the night. (Although we're to blame quite, they are mistaking night as day because of those bright street lights near the trees. And all they have is about ten days to find a mate before they die.) And they are creepy too. ><
    I honestly don't mind cicadas, especially if you're out in the countryside at night. Might seem annoying, but they distract you from small animals moving around in the bushes that might make you imagine wolves or something are after you. For whatever reason I also don't think they're creepy at all, but I've been around cicadas so much during the summers that I'm used to them. I also love Ninjask and Shedinja, so that might be another reason.
    Actually, I never left.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemoll View Post
    Is there a certain animal you despise?
    Yes. I despise some humans.

Blog Entries
    Follow Cariad On Twitter Add Cariad on Google+
    Follow Cariad on Tumblr Visit Cariad's Youtube Channel

I found this video the other day and thought you guys might like it. Okay, so we all know that cats are pretty much the pinnacle of cute, and wild cats are even better. I've always had a fondness for tigers in particular, because they're just so majestic and the fact that the majority of species of tiger are dying out is really depressing. :'I Anyway, here's a video of Siberian tiger cubs being absolutely adorable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemoll View Post
    I found this video the other day and thought you guys might like it. Okay, so we all know that cats are pretty much the pinnacle of cute, and wild cats are even better. I've always had a fondness for tigers in particular, because they're just so majestic and the fact that the majority of species of tiger are dying out is really depressing. :'I Anyway, here's a video of Siberian tiger cubs being absolutely adorable.

Obviously places like Asia and Africa have the coolest wild cats, so the kitties walking around North America and Europe don't get any loving. :c Down here, we have Florida panthers (which I think I may have seen outside of captivity once, but that's a story of its own, man) and bobcats, which are much more common than the panthers. I've already posted pictures of panthers here, so you might remember how they look pissed off 24/7, but bobcats are pretty cute. They have little tufts on their cheeks and really big ears and of course their stub tails. I've seen my fair share of them. I would post pictures, but I'm sure I'm going to mess it up on this tablet.

Blog Entries

Obviously places like Asia and Africa have the coolest wild cats, so the kitties walking around North America and Europe don't get any loving. :c Down here, we have Florida panthers (which I think I may have seen outside of captivity once, but that's a story of its own, man) and bobcats, which are much more common than the panthers. I've already posted pictures of panthers here, so you might remember how they look pissed off 24/7, but bobcats are pretty cute. They have little tufts on their cheeks and really big ears and of course their stub tails. I've seen my fair share of them. I would post pictures, but I'm sure I'm going to mess it up on this tablet.
    You're really lucky, living somewhere where you see actual big cats outside. :C The best wildcat I can get here is an actual feral cat, and they really aren't that interesting. Though, up North in Scotland, they have a pretty interesting wildcat. It's the Scottish Wildcat, which is generally a feral cat, but bigger and an endangered species. They're kinda pretty, but as I said, they just look like a bigger version of your everyday house cat.

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

What's the local wildlife of where you guys live?

Outside of domestic animals, there is also various small birds, some owls, we do get bat's flying rarely in the summer and the odd seagull. There's also some frogs if they manage to get near the houses, its quite a while away for a frog to travel from a river.
    maglev is invisible

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettomonk View Post

Outside of domestic animals, there is also various small birds, some owls, we do get bat's flying rarely in the summer and the odd seagull. There's also some frogs if they manage to get near the houses, its quite a while away for a frog to travel from a river.
    Living in the city, we hardly have any wildlife at all. Obviously we have domesticated pets around and about, and a few interesting little birds, but nothing really outside of seagulls and pigeons. We did, however, once have a family of bats making a nest in our attic, which was amusing. Though, I do live by the sea, so I get the occasional swan or duck wandering down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettomonk View Post

We have a lot of deer running around on the roads and yards here. Although not very noticeable, we also have boars. I think there also are lynxes sometimes, but I'm not certain. And all the standard animals: snakes, hedgehogs, various insects, birds, etc.

Blog Entries

My mom almost ran over an alligator yesterday.

Blog Entries

My mom almost ran over an alligator yesterday.
    Wow, seriously? Were the alligator and your mum alright? And wow, isn't it scary having alligators locally?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast