Kingdom of Animals - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kingdom of Animals

Post-Hipster Yoot Baf's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Kingdom of Animals

This is pretty interesting;

A Laysan albatross known as "Wisdom" - believed to be at least 62 years old - has hatched a chick on Midway Atoll National Wildlife Refuge for the sixth consecutive year. Early Sunday morning, February 3, 2013, the chick was observed pecking its way into the world by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service biologist Pete Leary, who said the chick appears healthy. Wisdom was first banded in 1956, when she was incubating an egg in the same area of the refuge. She was at least five years old at the time.
    More - World's Oldest Known Wild Bird Hatches Another Chick : The Birding Wire
    ]]----0000000[[[[[

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Pschitt View Post
    Dammit, thanks to this thread I want a pet fox. ;_;

I really like learning about native animals, which for those of you who aren't aware means Floridian animals to me. Here're some Florida panthers.

Every single one of these things looks pissed off at all times. That's just their face.
    Oh man, I LOVE native Floridian animals! I grew up there, fascinated with swamp creatures. As my username suggests, I love chelonians. Speaking of native Floridian animals, here's an image of the mystical magical, Florida softshell turtle and a random purple donut frog, which is not native to Florida but cool nonetheless

I want to be a herpetologist, and pokemon further influenced me into that field of biology. I just love animals in general, especially creepy crawlies.
    Amyda Nakornsrithammarajensis

Blog Entries
    Add Meowly on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by fabfab View Post
    This is pretty interesting;

A Laysan albatross known as "Wisdom" - believed to be at least 62 years old - has hatched a chick on Midway Atoll National Wildlife Refuge for the sixth consecutive year. Early Sunday morning, February 3, 2013, the chick was observed pecking its way into the world by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service biologist Pete Leary, who said the chick appears healthy. Wisdom was first banded in 1956, when she was incubating an egg in the same area of the refuge. She was at least five years old at the time.
    More - World's Oldest Known Wild Bird Hatches Another Chick : The Birding Wire
    Wow, that's amazing. I never knew birds could care for chicks at that age. I guess this just proves how wonderful wildlife is, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Mamasoftshellturtle View Post
    Oh man, I LOVE native Floridian animals! I grew up there, fascinated with swamp creatures. As my username suggests, I love chelonians. Speaking of native Floridian animals, here's an image of the mystical magical, Florida softshell turtle and a random purple donut frog, which is not native to Florida but cool nonetheless

I want to be a herpetologist, and pokemon further influenced me into that field of biology. I just love animals in general, especially creepy crawlies.
    Wow, now those are some interesting creatures. The softshell turtle looks like it belongs with dinosaurs, not roaming here with humans. :o And that frog has a really interesting face. Looks kinda squashed.

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for birds, especially peregrine falcons. Just look at this badass:

twitter / steam / last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Meulin Leijon View Post
    I've always had a bit of a soft spot for birds, especially peregrine falcons. Just look at this badass:

I absolutely love birds. :D

Blue peregrine:

And, if you've ever seen the WTF falcon images, it's actually a blue peregrine.

Blog Entries
    Add Meowly on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Blade View Post
    I absolutely love birds. :D

Blue peregrine:

And, if you've ever seen the WTF falcon images, it's actually a blue peregrine.
    Same here! I've wanted a pet bird since I was little, but my sister is afraid of them. I don't understand a fear of birds, but each to their own. I just see them as beautiful. :3

Your second image didn't work, but that first bird was absolutely marvellous. oAo

Same here! I've wanted a pet bird since I was little, but my sister is afraid of them. I don't understand a fear of birds, but each to their own. I just see them as beautiful. :3

Your second image didn't work, but that first bird was absolutely marvellous. oAo
    Does this one work?

I used to have zebra finches. They're adorable.
    Zebra Finch Pair Taking a Bath - YouTube

Blog Entries
    Add Meowly on Facebook

Does this one work?

I used to have zebra finches. They're adorable.
    Zebra Finch Pair Taking a Bath - YouTube
    Yes, that image works. xDDD Haha, it looks judgemental.

Now /that/ is the definition of adorable! <333 How long do they live for? I might get a bird one day.

Now /that/ is the definition of adorable! <333 How long do they live for? I might get a bird one day.
    They're supposed to live 5-6 years, but I haven't had much luck with mine.. first two starved to death because we were on vacation and we were feeding them mixed seed instead of just millet, so they starved to death. Feel bad for the guys who were looking after them... the next two, one randomly died so we replaced it, then the replacement didn't like the other and pecked her to death, and the replacement then died of a tumor. Karma. :p
    But that's just me. I think the one that randomly died probably got a heart attack from our cats trying to get to the cage all the time.

If you do get zebra finches, get more than one. They're social birds and need at least one or two others to live with them. Oh, and they're not the type of bird you can usually hold in your hand. They're fidgety and a tiny bit high strung since they're small, haha.

Blog Entries
    Add Meowly on Facebook

They're supposed to live 5-6 years, but I haven't had much luck with mine.. first two starved to death because we were on vacation and we were feeding them mixed seed instead of just millet, so they starved to death. Feel bad for the guys who were looking after them... the next two, one randomly died so we replaced it, then the replacement didn't like the other and pecked her to death, and the replacement then died of a tumor. Karma. :p
    But that's just me. I think the one that randomly died probably got a heart attack from our cats trying to get to the cage all the time.

If you do get zebra finches, get more than one. They're social birds and need at least one or two others to live with them. Oh, and they're not the type of bird you can usually hold in your hand. They're fidgety and a tiny bit high strung since they're small, haha.
    Oh, that's horrible. :c But wow, I guess you have to be careful who you pair them with, then? I don't like the idea of one bird pecking the other to death, sounds a bit vile. o-o I remember walking to school once and seeing a magpie killing a sparrow because it stole it's food, that was pretty disgusting. I'm not a fan of magpies, they're too violent. :c

Aw, high strung animals are cute though, especially when they have a little tiny temper. xDD Hm, I might consider asking for some when I'm older, then. :o

Oh, that's horrible. :c But wow, I guess you have to be careful who you pair them with, then? I don't like the idea of one bird pecking the other to death, sounds a bit vile. o-o I remember walking to school once and seeing a magpie killing a sparrow because it stole it's food, that was pretty disgusting. I'm not a fan of magpies, they're too violent. :c

Aw, high strung animals are cute though, especially when they have a little tiny temper. xDD Hm, I might consider asking for some when I'm older, then. :o
    We're pretty sure that the one who pecked the other to death had a territorial issue, which is weird, since they were both female. And she was the new bird.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think I'm gonna mostly use this thread to show off how cool Floridian critters are. :I

Here's a pair of sandhill cranes. Every single time I've ever seen them, they've always, always, always been in pairs. They can flock, and they can be solitary, but it's pretty rare and never lasts for long.

I absolutely love these things. When I lived in Louisiana I would see them flying around all the time.
    Great blue heron:

And then egrets too. Lots and lots of egrets.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@Hunter Blade; Man, those things are like pigeons and crows down here. We have pigeons and crows, too, but those guys are cooler.

I honestly would pick a heron over an egret any day.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Fyrirgefðu

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast