Fashion Discussion Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Fashion Discussion Thread

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Default Re: Fashion Discussion Thread

I generally don't put a lot of attention into my clothing choices, except to match colors and that kind of junk. But I do know how to put an outfit together when necessary.

I have the same basic philosophy with make-up. Most of the time I don't wear it, unless I have some fancy event or I'm going out clubbing or something. I really don't like it. And I almost never wear mascara, because my eyelashes are already pretty thick (and actually, wearing mascara thins them out).

I have pale skin and dark hair, so when I go for make-up I usually go for cooler colors, like light pink, purple, etc.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries
    Follow Cariad On Twitter Add Cariad on Google+
    Follow Cariad on Tumblr Visit Cariad's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    I have pale skin and dark hair, so when I go for make-up I usually go for cooler colors, like light pink, purple, etc.
    That's a good idea. Sometimes when pale people with darker hair wear darker colours it can look a bit off, but sometimes it works quite nicely. It can go either way though.

If I wear make up the majority of it will usually be black, because I'm fairly tanned with lighter hair, so I don't have to worry about using cooler colours.

Does anyone here dye their hair a different colour? I've been meaning to dye mine a different colour for awhile, but my school and my parents won't let me, even if it's a natural colour.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemoll View Post
    Does anyone here dye their hair a different colour? I've been meaning to dye mine a different colour for awhile, but my school and my parents won't let me, even if it's a natural colour.
    Yeah, I have a pink streak in my hair (you can see what it looks like if you go in the BMGF Picture Thread). It was originally purple, but unnatural colors fade quickly. That's the first thing I would tell you if you're considering dyeing your hair. Be prepared for it to fade, especially if it's a hair color that isn't found in nature! So you might want to learn how to do touch-ups yourself so you don't have to go to the salon every time. I haven't yet learned how to do that, partly because I'm sure that I would make a huge mess.

That's not as much of an issue if you dye your hair a more natural color. Still, you'll probably want to invest in some color-saving shampoos or conditioners to make it last a bit longer. One that I've really started to like is Blousey, which is made by Lush, but unfortunately, like a lot of their products, it's ridiculously expensive. And it doesn't lather, so I end up using it as more of a conditioner with regular shampoo.

(All that being said, I would go to a salon for first-time color, regardless of the shade. Especially if you're getting a streak, because you can have them layer your hair in such a way so that the roots aren't too noticeable when they start growing in.)

It's also a good idea to wash your hair a little less often than you would normally, if you dye it and are worried about the color going away. I can't afford to do that too much, because I have thick, oily hair that gets a little gross if I'm out of the shower for too long. But sometimes I'll wash it every other day rather than every day (which is what I did before I got the purple/pink streak).

Also, of course, if you swim frequently, chlorine will mess with your hair color (especially if it's a really light color like blonde, it will temporarily turn it green - eek!) so you might want to wear a swim cap. Luckily for me, my gym requires that we wear one.

(Last thing, your school is not alone. My high school let us dye it natural colors, but not unnatural ones, so I waited until I was a sophomore in college before I first got the purple streak. I've had it for about three years now.)
    Last edited by Misato Katsuragi; 3rd March 2013 at 01:33 PM.
    Cariad likes this.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Flying || Water Wellspring Station's Avatar
    Follow Wellspring Station On Twitter
    Follow Wellspring Station on Tumblr

It's too bad this thread isn't more active. I'd love to meet more fashion-centered people here!

Blog Entries
    Follow Cariad On Twitter Add Cariad on Google+
    Follow Cariad on Tumblr Visit Cariad's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspring Station View Post
    It's too bad this thread isn't more active. I'd love to meet more fashion-centered people here!
    Well, there's only one way to make a thread active, and that's to think of a good discussion, no?

I'm kind of irritated right now. I've been searching for a tartan skirt for a good while now, and I've yet to find one anywhere that isn't incredibly short or extremely overpriced. I've tried all the stores in town that are likely to have one, but to no avail. I even went in one shop where when I asked about tartan, they sarcastically said, "tartan? we don't have tartan here!". I was kinda offended, isn't tartan in right now anyway? .___. Anyway, does anyone know a good place to get one online? A reasonably lengthed, but not too pricy one?

Flying || Water Wellspring Station's Avatar
    Follow Wellspring Station On Twitter
    Follow Wellspring Station on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Mollycule View Post

I'm kind of irritated right now. I've been searching for a tartan skirt for a good while now, and I've yet to find one anywhere that isn't incredibly short or extremely overpriced. I've tried all the stores in town that are likely to have one, but to no avail. I even went in one shop where when I asked about tartan, they sarcastically said, "tartan? we don't have tartan here!". I was kinda offended, isn't tartan in right now anyway? .___. Anyway, does anyone know a good place to get one online? A reasonably lengthed, but not too pricy one?
    Haha I think the reason why you might have gotten a strange response was because tartan is usually used to descibe the actual tartan clothing piece, which was used to distinguish between ruling clans of Scotland. Plaid is probably a more common name for it; there's probably minute differences between the two patterns but they probably don't matter that much. I saw a lot of plaid last year, like when Zooey Deschanel wore an entire tartan dress at some point, but I think it would make a cute comeback for fall! I usually do a lot of online shopping either through places like Etsy, Polyvore or small online shops. I wouldn't rule out a place like Heritage of Scotland (don't get deterred by the name), where they sell a lot of cute and interesting tartan and plaid pattern skirts of varying lengths. They're on the slightly pricier side though.
    Last edited by Wellspring Station; 4th September 2013 at 12:31 AM.
    Cariad likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12