Bulba Pub - Straight, No Chaser - Page 14

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Bulba Pub - Straight, No Chaser

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Default Re: Bulba Pub - Give it to Me Straight, Like Pear Cider That's Made from 100% Pears

So lately I've become pretty sure that, despite my previous protestations to the contrary, I am destined to become a mild alcoholic like everyone else in my family. (Well, some of them are hardly mild, but I don't like being blitzed out of my mind, so I don't think I'm gonna end up there.) The Cullen clan: Far from being sparkly undead beauties, we're really just a bunch of drunks.

But I'm determined to be the classy kind and, as World-Inferno Friendship Society put it, "stay on the charming side of drunk," I've decided I should take @Ghettomonk;'s recommendation and learn to like scotch. I'm on my way to the liquor store tonight, what kind should I get and what does it taste like and am I supposed to drink it with anyone else? (I don't usually like drinking liquor straight unless it's amaretto or something.)

(Speaking of which, holy fuck, it's about time to replenish my amaretto supply. Maybe buy some Diet Coke too and make a few Adult Dr. Peppers tonight.)

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bulba Pub - Give it to Me Straight, Like Pear Cider That's Made from 100% Pears

Quote Originally Posted by Faye Valentine View Post
    So lately I've become pretty sure that, despite my previous protestations to the contrary, I am destined to become a mild alcoholic like everyone else in my family. (Well, some of them are hardly mild, but I don't like being blitzed out of my mind, so I don't think I'm gonna end up there.) The Cullen clan: Far from being sparkly undead beauties, we're really just a bunch of drunks.

But I'm determined to be the classy kind and, as World-Inferno Friendship Society put it, "stay on the charming side of drunk," I've decided I should take @Ghettomonk;'s recommendation and learn to like scotch. I'm on my way to the liquor store tonight, what kind should I get and what does it taste like and am I supposed to drink it with anyone else? (I don't usually like drinking liquor straight unless it's amaretto or something.)

(Speaking of which, holy fuck, it's about time to replenish my amaretto supply. Maybe buy some Diet Coke too and make a few Adult Dr. Peppers tonight.)
    I think you could ease yourself into scotch, maybe try mixing into soften it. Lime juice, ginger beer and relatively cheap blended scotch, I was gonna recommend Famous Grousse, a very popular blended scotch, but it might set you back a bit. Frankly in Scotland, this will be your go to whiskey if you're at a party, it's easy to acquire, well known brand.

1886's Mamie Taylor Cocktail - Digest - Los Angeles magazine - That's the mix I'm talking about with the order on how to assemble :p it'd be fine with any blended scotch, which can't be hard to come by in the US.

You could also just try the whiskey as is, small serving with ice and and try savour the flavour for a second, see what you can pick up in it. Then swallow. Some people water it down and include ice, so it's close to drinking pure scotch.

If you finish the bottle tonight, you'll be known in Scotland as someone "that likes to have a drink." :p

I'm currently drink Stella with ice, nothing fancy.
    seconds to forever

Blog Entries

@Ghettomonk; Actually, I went to the liquor store, realized that even the cheap scotch is really expensive, and gave up on that idea.

Also, I know you didn't know this, but relevant for future cocktail/mixer suggestions: I'm allergic to citrus, so no lime juice, etc. for me.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries

@Ghettomonk; Actually, I went to the liquor store, realized that even the cheap scotch is really expensive, and gave up on that idea.

Also, you didn't know this but relevant for future cocktail/mixer suggestions: I'm allergic to citrus fruits. (Yeah, it's a huge pain in the ass when you're a budding alcoholic. So many things mix well with lemon and lime and orange, but I can't have any of that! Or at least, only in small doses, so I pretty much never buy lime or lemon juice.)
    Aww that sucks! Yeah whiskey can be expensive, even smaller bottles, it's just a premium good I guess.

Maybe you could try coconut milk with something, maybe make a sorta-white Russian with it. I like a good Caucasian, but I can barely stand to have more than two in one sitting, I think they're quite a heavy drink, like the feel like a dessert to me.
    seconds to forever

Trophies
    Blog Entries

It's your choice whether you want to go down that road or not. The latter half of last year I suspected as much about myself, so at around new year's time I made the conscious choice to drastically reduce my drinking, and that has failed miserably so I'm pretty sure that I'm an alcoholic now.

Now excuse me while I go make a drink, it's been a rough day.
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

Guess who is drunk as a skunk, in celebration of her apparently successful Skype interview tonight?

I went to the bar to celebrate, after pregaming with some amaretto. While I was there I had some mystery "shot of the month," a vodka cran, a Twisted Ice Tea and some blueberry ale. Yum yum yum all around.

Didn't realize how drunk I was until I was en route back to my apartment and skipping down the street singing.

Guess who is drunk as a skunk
    Jirou?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Jirou?
    Ich spreche Japanisch nicht?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Jirou?
    Ich spreche Japanisch nicht?
    It's a name.

Blog Entries

I have no idea what you guys are on about.

Friday night there was a small bottle of whiskey in the kitchen, I hadn't seen it for months. Come Saturday it has disappeared again, no sign whatsoever of where it is. Odd.
    seconds to forever

Trophies
    Blog Entries

That moment when you go to get another drink but then you realize that you're already drunk but then you get another drink anyway.

That moment when you realize the title of this thread sucks but pointing that out is probably going to make it stay longer but you point it out anyway.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bulba Pub - Slogan Pending

@TheMissingno.; Give us a slogan that abides the rules and is loosely connected to alcohol/drinking.

Miracles do happen.
    seconds to forever

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Bulba Pub - Straight, no Chaser.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post
    Done.

Only the 'in the know' kids will get it.
    seconds to forever

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettomonk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post
    Done.

Only the 'in the know' kids will get it.
    It's true, but I think it will be a good title even for non-'in the know' kids.
    That's nice.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast