UK Dialect or US Dialect?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Dialect or US Dialect?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default UK Dialect or US Dialect?

As you will no doubt know, there are many differences between UK dialect and US dialect (pronunciations, for example). However, which do you prefer out of the two?

Personally, I prefer UK dialect, because I personally find it easier to understand, and I'm also used to the pronunciations. I don't really like the US pronunciations of some words (I'd rather have tom-ar-to than tom-ay-to), and I can't really understand a Southern US accent very well, though I can understand a generic US accent relatively well. I guess I am a bit bias though, considering I'm British myself.

Blog Entries

Default Re: UK Dialect or US Dialect?

I'm US but I like the UK dialect better too--it makes exchange students easier to understand when they learn proper English over... well, whatever you wanna call our English XD. Then again, there's a lot of different accents in America as well depending on your state and valley and whatnot--so, sometimes you find accents that are just plain annoying.
    My Tumblr | My dA | My ColorsLive

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi-kun
    A good friend will not take advantage of a situation, but will comfort you through it.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hallow♥ View Post
    Then again, there's a lot of different accents in America as well depending on your state and valley and whatnot--so, sometimes you find accents that are just plain annoying.
    There are lots of annoying accents in Britian too- the Geordie accent is especially annoying. But I get annoyed that the original English dialect, the British one, isn't used by other English speaking countries- America don't, and I don't think Australia or New Zealand do either.

I'm from US and I say UK, proper english is always better over our slang that Americans have developed.
    FCs: Heart Gold: 1892-8730-9569; White: 1549-4836-0020

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian of Johto View Post
    I'm from US and I say UK, proper english is always better over our slang that Americans have developed.
    Is there really very much American slang? I didn't know you had as much slang as we Brits do.

Yes, your slang is understandable...here we have people that talk like this(very little exaggeration): "Eh man I was up like hangin with ma bros yestaday and then the cops showed up we was like: man we just chillin so step off" (Misspellings were intentional to show how it sounds)

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Yes, your slang is understandable...here we have people that talk like this(very little exaggeration): "Eh man I was up like hangin with ma bros yestaday and then the cops showed up we was like: man we just chillin so step off" (Misspellings were intentional to show how it sounds)
    Thank god not all Americans speak like that.

Sometimes, in Britain, you get people that say like after literally every word.

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoGamer View Post
    ...But I get annoyed that the original English dialect, the British one, isn't used by other English speaking countries
    That's not a realistic expectation, when a population is separated from the country of origin by thousands of miles of ocean for centuries and only the last 100 or so with any high speed communications or even the ability to hear voices from abroad, how could you expect them to speak with the same dialect?

The only preference I have between US and UK grammar/dialect/accent is that I think the letter U is totally useless to the UK spelling of the word "colour" in relation to how its pronounced. "Aluminum" and "aluminium" for instance are actually said differently in each country, to the spelling difference makes more sense there. I also find the "a" at the end of the word "soya" is not really necessary either, but in either case its not that big a deal.

We have that to...but you get what I wrote above...and some people talk like "rednecks" and that's bad too, but you do get some grammatically correct folks.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrainStationH View Post
    The only preference I have between US and UK grammar/dialect/accent is that I think the letter U is totally useless to the UK spelling of the word "colour" in relation to how its pronounced. "Aluminum" and "aluminium" for instance are actually said differently in each country, to the spelling difference makes more sense there.
    It's just a silent letter, which lots of words have anyway.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk CharizardDude's Avatar
    In your closet with Tom Cruise, John Travolta, and R.Kelly

US dialect. Mainly just because I'm used to it.

His shirt is better.

HAS RETURNEEEEDDD!!!! AlexandraTheZoroark's Avatar
    Blog Entries

US dialect. I'm more used to it (Considering that I'm from the US myself), like CharizardDude said.
    Formerly LucarioGirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkapoke View Post
    I am writing a paper on dakimakuras.

I've only written four paragraphs, but it's already five pages long...
    deviantART|Scratch|YouTube|Fanclub

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoGamer View Post
    It's just a silent letter, which lots of words have anyway.
    I know its a silent letter.

Most silent letters just make it explicit how a word is best pronounced, but in some cases they really have nothing to do with how the word is spoken and lose the said letter without anything being lost "colour" is one of these.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk CharizardDude's Avatar
    In your closet with Tom Cruise, John Travolta, and R.Kelly

"Eh man I was up like hangin with ma bros yestaday and then the cops showed up we was like: man we just chillin so step off" (Misspellings were intentional to show how it sounds)
    I understood that completly. Is that good or bad?

His shirt is better.

Blog Entries

Either is fine. I am not too caught up with the "properness" of the dialects of English.

Personally, I prefer my own dialect. Of course, when I spoke to someone from Hong Kong, they said I sounded like a Mafia don.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast