My mixed feelings on the dating world

View Poll Results: Is love really worth the risk?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 88.89%
  • No

    2 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: My mixed feelings on the dating world

  1. #1
    Ambitious Creator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    A wonderful place
    Posts
    174
    Blog Entries
    66
    Follow Steelrush On Twitter Add Steelrush on Facebook Add Steelrush on MySpace
    Add Steelrush on Linkedin Follow Steelrush on Tumblr Follow Steelrush on Flickr Visit Steelrush's Youtube Channel

    Default My mixed feelings on the dating world

    I've had a rather faulty experience regarding the dating world, and it's had a very grim effect on me. I've never had a girlfriend, one first kiss, or anything like that. It caused me a long case of depression, which ended when I started hearing/reading people's stories of bad & abusive relationships, and that produced massive pessimism in me, and remembering the nasty marriage my parents had increased that feeling.

    However, the desire to have a lover in my life slowly returned, and on valentines day, I was so depressed that I was on the verge of committing suicide. My friends and family prevented me from doing that though, because I know that would greatly upset them, and I definitely don't want to do that.

    My living situation right now is clearly preventing me from having a relationship, I live with my parents, I'm not going to college right now (there aren't any good jobs open right now that can produce a enough income for me to move out and get my own house), and I can't legally drive (seizures).

    Most of us know that many women DO NOT like guys who live with their parents and don't have cars. Not only that, but because of that situation, I can rarely go to any social events or anything of the sort.

    ___

    Well, even if I had full independence, I still wonder if the whole thing is worth it. After talking to one of my friends, she told me that it isn't as hard as I thought it was, but still...so many people end up getting emotionally devastated for the rest of their lives. After my dad got divorced from my mom, he was mopey and depressed for months. He even lost weight (going from 200 pounds to 150), and barely smiled at all.

    Finding the right person seems almost impossible for everyone, and although I'd like to have a girlfriend and experience such a thing, I wonder if it's worth the risk.

    On one occasion, there was a teenager who killed himself after his girlfriend broke up with him, and several other things like that have occurred in the past as well.

    I'd like to have a lover, but at the same time, I didn't think it was worth the cost.
    Last edited by Steelrush; 13th March 2012 at 10:58 AM.

  2. #2
    Formerly woddfellow2 xoddf2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    112
    Follow xoddf2 On Twitter
    Visit xoddf2's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: My mixed feelings on the dating world

    With this, I go public with my situation.

    I intend to stay single for life.

    I, like the OP, have never had a girlfriend. I tried once, in high school, to get a girlfriend, but it failed. I acted like an idiot. (PM me for more information.) Sometime between that incident and my 2nd crush, I decided that I should stay single for life, for several reasons:

    • It costs too much money. A girlfriend would introduce too much overhead.
    • It is an attack on one's freedom.
    • It would conflict with my plan to live alone the rest of my life.
    • It would conflict with my plan to stay childfree.
    • It makes one do things one would not normally do, including some very stupid and dangerous things.


    If the "soulmate" exists, I hope I never meet her. If I find The One™, I must reject her. I would be ashamed if I had a girlfriend.
    xoddf2 | http://wlair.us.to/ | PGP: 20EB90D3

  3. #3
    Formerly Hallowheart ChinYao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The land of WHY!?
    Posts
    4,913
    Blog Entries
    500

    Default Re: My mixed feelings on the dating world

    I think if you feel like it's something you want in your life, you should pursue it--it's your right to pursue happiness. Just remember, it's really just a lot of communication on both sides, if you have money issues then make it clear to her that you can't just buy her stuff willy-nilly. She'll likely understand that just fine, because most people have money problems these days so she probably knows exactly how you feel. Heck, she might even keep you in check if you decide to purchase something on a whim (I know I've stopped Sean from purchasing Magic the Gathering cards when he was low on gas funds several times now).

    As for the parts in a relationship that can hurt, and how some people might kill themselves or behave severely depressed--try to keep a level head about your relationships, be mature about them and don't get upset with your partner for stupid things. If they get upset with you for stupid things, like looking at another person, then they probably aren't ready to be in a relationship (vice versa if you do the same thing). Always communicate, talk things out before specific situations arise so that you both know how to react when you hit them
    My Art | My dA | My ColorsLive
    Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi-kun
    A good friend will not take advantage of a situation, but will comfort you through it.

  4. #4
    Ambitious Creator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    A wonderful place
    Posts
    174
    Blog Entries
    66
    Follow Steelrush On Twitter Add Steelrush on Facebook Add Steelrush on MySpace
    Add Steelrush on Linkedin Follow Steelrush on Tumblr Follow Steelrush on Flickr Visit Steelrush's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: My mixed feelings on the dating world

    Quote Originally Posted by woddfellow2 View Post
    With this, I go public with my situation.

    I intend to stay single for life.

    I, like the OP, have never had a girlfriend. I tried once, in high school, to get a girlfriend, but it failed. I acted like an idiot. (PM me for more information.) Sometime between that incident and my 2nd crush, I decided that I should stay single for life, for several reasons:

    • It costs too much money. A girlfriend would introduce too much overhead.
    • It is an attack on one's freedom.
    • It would conflict with my plan to live alone the rest of my life.
    • It would conflict with my plan to stay childfree.
    • It makes one do things one would not normally do, including some very stupid and dangerous things.


    If the "soulmate" exists, I hope I never meet her. If I find The One™, I must reject her. I would be ashamed if I had a girlfriend.
    Yeah, I told myself that stuff several times, and the desire to have a lover did not go away. -_-

    However, this part adds another question to my mind:

    Quote Originally Posted by woddfellow2 View Post
    • It costs too much money. A girlfriend would introduce too much overhead.
    • It is an attack on one's freedom.
    • It would conflict with my plan to live alone the rest of my life.
    • It would conflict with my plan to stay childfree.
    • It makes one do things one would not normally do, including some very stupid and dangerous things.
    If that stuff is true in most cases, then why do happy couples exist...?

  5. #5
    Vile Insect. RaccoonGoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    [REDACTED]
    Posts
    1,623
    Blog Entries
    347
    Follow RaccoonGoon On Twitter
    Visit RaccoonGoon's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: My mixed feelings on the dating world

    You should just go for it, man.

    I mean, I've never "went" for it, but that's another tale.

  6. #6
    Formerly Hallowheart ChinYao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The land of WHY!?
    Posts
    4,913
    Blog Entries
    500

    Default Re: My mixed feelings on the dating world

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelrush View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by woddfellow2 View Post
    With this, I go public with my situation.

    I intend to stay single for life.

    I, like the OP, have never had a girlfriend. I tried once, in high school, to get a girlfriend, but it failed. I acted like an idiot. (PM me for more information.) Sometime between that incident and my 2nd crush, I decided that I should stay single for life, for several reasons:

    • It costs too much money. A girlfriend would introduce too much overhead.
    • It is an attack on one's freedom.
    • It would conflict with my plan to live alone the rest of my life.
    • It would conflict with my plan to stay childfree.
    • It makes one do things one would not normally do, including some very stupid and dangerous things.


    If the "soulmate" exists, I hope I never meet her. If I find The One™, I must reject her. I would be ashamed if I had a girlfriend.
    Yeah, I told myself that stuff several times, and the desire to have a lover did not go away. -_-

    However, this part adds another question to my mind:

    Quote Originally Posted by woddfellow2 View Post
    • It costs too much money. A girlfriend would introduce too much overhead.
    • It is an attack on one's freedom.
    • It would conflict with my plan to live alone the rest of my life.
    • It would conflict with my plan to stay childfree.
    • It makes one do things one would not normally do, including some very stupid and dangerous things.
    If that stuff is true in most cases, then why do happy couples exist...?
    Because, they're not looking at in that light--they are choosing to enter into a partnership, not being forced into enslavement.
    My Art | My dA | My ColorsLive
    Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi-kun
    A good friend will not take advantage of a situation, but will comfort you through it.

  7. #7

    Default Re: My mixed feelings on the dating world

    Before I got married, I had only one boyfriend, and I ended up marrying him. I was my husband's first and only girlfriend too so go figure. Our situation was a bit complex at first. He lived 70 miles away, had a job and lived on his own, and could only see me once per week. Meanwhile, I was in college, lived at home, and could barely afford presents for him. To me, dating was lucky, I met a nice guy who loved me and spoiled me to death, but I realize others aren't as lucky. As others have stated, people break up, divorce, and in general have drama.

    My best advice would be to take it slowly. If it means going through many people then so be it. It is worth the wait, as once you have someone that cares for you and love you, then you will spend more time thinking how long it took to get to that point. It becomes a partnership, where two people are each the other's best friend, confident, and love. If someone only wants to date you because you have money or a car, they aren't worth it. If they want to date you because of your qualities, then they are worth it.

    @Steelrush things take time, and that's as much as I can say. I only have myself to relate to. The love and support I receive from my husband is worth the costs. We don't agree on everything, we don't enjoy some activities the other does, but we love one another, we enjoy each other's company and support each other in goals. Honestly, things aren't much different from when we were dating.

  8. #8
    Moxie of the haxie Lord Aizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Location
    *cough* watching anime *cough*
    Posts
    3,582
    Blog Entries
    78

    Follow Lord Aizen on Tumblr

    Default Re: My mixed feelings on the dating world

    this is a hard one..
    i've had crushes and found love before, but fate likes screwing me over so stuff doesn't work out.

    so the best idea is, work it like this "get school and stuff over, and spend my 20s finding a partner, and hopefully avoid children.".
    Friend Code: 1891-1166-9452 haxie

  9. #9
    My life is forbidden Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My secret wonderland
    Posts
    30,831
    Blog Entries
    247
    Add Serenity on Facebook
    Follow Serenity on Tumblr Visit Serenity's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: My mixed feelings on the dating world

    My love life hasn't been so perfect. Three failed relationships, but that hasn't stopped me from finding love. From what experiences I've dealt with so far, I've learned that you're gonna go through pain and hurt before finally getting to be happy. It's gonna take time before this happens, but when it will, all of the other bad stuff you've dealt with would've been worth it.

  10. #10
    Ambitious Creator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    A wonderful place
    Posts
    174
    Blog Entries
    66
    Follow Steelrush On Twitter Add Steelrush on Facebook Add Steelrush on MySpace
    Add Steelrush on Linkedin Follow Steelrush on Tumblr Follow Steelrush on Flickr Visit Steelrush's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: My mixed feelings on the dating world

    Quote Originally Posted by Octy View Post
    My love life hasn't been so perfect. Three failed relationships, but that hasn't stopped me from finding love. From what experiences I've dealt with so far, I've learned that you're gonna go through pain and hurt before finally getting to be happy. It's gonna take time before this happens, but when it will, all of the other bad stuff you've dealt with would've been worth it.
    Have you gone through significant pain (such as depression that almost put you on the verge of suicide), and then entered a relationship that makes you so happy that it's as if you've gone to heaven without dying in the slightest?

  11. #11
    My life is forbidden Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My secret wonderland
    Posts
    30,831
    Blog Entries
    247
    Add Serenity on Facebook
    Follow Serenity on Tumblr Visit Serenity's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: My mixed feelings on the dating world

    Yup, and then I got my heart broken all over again. It's nothing that I'm happy about, but sometimes, you have to go through a little rain before you'll finally see a rainbow.

  12. #12
    Ambitious Creator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    A wonderful place
    Posts
    174
    Blog Entries
    66
    Follow Steelrush On Twitter Add Steelrush on Facebook Add Steelrush on MySpace
    Add Steelrush on Linkedin Follow Steelrush on Tumblr Follow Steelrush on Flickr Visit Steelrush's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: My mixed feelings on the dating world

    Quote Originally Posted by Octy View Post
    Yup, and then I got my heart broken all over again. It's nothing that I'm happy about, but sometimes, you have to go through a little rain before you'll finally see a rainbow.
    What exactly is the length of that rain storm anyway?

  13. #13
    My life is forbidden Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My secret wonderland
    Posts
    30,831
    Blog Entries
    247
    Add Serenity on Facebook
    Follow Serenity on Tumblr Visit Serenity's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: My mixed feelings on the dating world

    To be honest, it depends. Varies from person to person.

  14. #14
    Registered User Maze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    On a chair
    Posts
    448
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: My mixed feelings on the dating world

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelrush View Post
    Most of us know that many women DO NOT like guys who live with their parents and don't have cars. Not only that, but because of that situation, I can rarely go to any social events or anything of the sort.
    Many women are stupid and I say that as a woman. My boyfriend lives with his parents and he doesn't have a car. I hate cars, they're bad for the environment. Girls who think things like these matter are NOT worth it, ignore them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelrush View Post
    I'd like to have a lover, but at the same time, I don't think it's worth the cost.
    Ah you're just like me and probably many many others. Love is the best en the most terrible thing at the same time, there's just nothing you can do about that.

    I've been through all of it; have had good and bad relationships, have been rejected, have been broken up with and have broken up relationships myself. The worst was when someone broke up with me, I was depressed for at least a year, not seeing any reason to live anymore. But I was still in puberty back then, so that makes things 10 times worse :P So yeah, those things happen, but you will get over it even if it can take a long time. Because after every relationship I was like "screw men, I shall stay single for the rest of my life!" and I would keep that thought for like two months before getting lonely again and seeing candidates for relationships everywhere, haha.

    It's just so much fun when you're actually in a relationship with someone. Yes, some of my relationships didn't last, but that doesn't mean I don't have nice memories about them (expect for one, but let's just all pretend that never happened ;)). Most of my ex-boyfriends are now still my friends and I'm happy about that. They just weren't the one or I wasn't the one for them, but hey we tried. And you learn from it, helps you find out what kind of person you're actually looking for. I do think it's worth it, the relationship I'm in now has been lasting for about four years already and it's seriously the best thing that ever happened to me. And no, it's not a fairytale, you have to work on it. Loads of communication is needed, like Hallowheart said. We've had break ups, all because of lack of communication and because we wouldn't always accept each other as we were. But we always get together again and it gets better and better everytime. It's just nice to have someone who really loves you and who you can share everything with and who will support you with whatever you do. And yes, fights (non-physical) happen, but you just have to keep talking to each other about everything that bothers you and they won't last long.

    As for you, not having a girlfriend is not a disaster, I know loads of guys who never had a girlfriend and they're around the age of 22 now. I know it can be hard to find someone, the only advice I can give is to go to places where people are who have things in common with you. The only reason I have had some boyfriends, is because I went to an amateur theatre school in town. I loved acting and dressing up and stuff and so did all the others, we had loads in common and that's the best way to find a relationship in my opinion. Furthermore: if you like someone, tell her. Yes, you can get rejected and it will hurt but that won't kill you. She can also say "yes" you know and you will never know that if you don't ask ;)

    So yeah, here's my tl'dr story, hope I could be of some help ^^;

    PS: I'm terribly sorry if my English grammar fails btw, it still causes me trouble sometimes.

  15. #15
    Sentinal of Anistar Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    With Feliciano, my true love
    Posts
    35,536
    Blog Entries
    256

    Default Re: My mixed feelings on the dating world

    You're being far too analytical about this. Let's break it down. The human race's basic function is to reproduce. That much we cannot argue.

    Now, you claim girls don't like guys who live with their parents or don't have cars. Sorry, that's incorrect. That's an ultimatum that is unfairly applied to an entire section of the possibility. Women are not show shallow that they only care about statuses.

    Women are people too. Many women feel the same things you feel. Many of them wonder if they'll ever find a guy they can be with. It ends with both of them refusing to say anything and ultimately being miserable because the desire to be with each is eating away at them while socially they're frightened of doing anything.

    No offense, but that's not true. I have known the outcomes of situations that need my input before I even do anything, and whenever I've assumed that I was going to fail, I was right.
    That's also the absolute wrong way to look at it. You NEVER know the outcome to an event with 100% certainty until you actually shape the outcome yourself. And if you set yourself up mentally to fail, you will. Telling yourself you can't do something makes that a truth. You will be unable to anything unless you allow yourself too.

    Confidence is the only thing I can tell you that is truly attractive to people. Not arrogance, confidence. A belief in yourself and strength of character. Find someone in this world who can look you in the eye and say, "I want my lover to be an arrogant pig" or "I want them to be a shrinking violet incapable of self-esteem." I don't believe you can ever find anybody.

    Now, you mention seizures. Have you ever had an epileptic seizure brought on from stress? If so, while I am very sorry, have you ever attempted to take the stress out of your life? Find what it is that stress' you out. To me, it seems that your LACK of a partner is causing you unneeded stress. Following your logic, you could die from be alone.

    Carpe Diam. Don't just sit around and worry about how things will turn out or obsess over the outcomes. Find some confidence in yourself and, if there is someone you care for (I recommend being good friends in the first place) You might be surprised by just how open they are to beginning a relationship with you.

    And if that doesn't work, try again. Giving up and admitting defeat earns you nothing but misery.

    And if you don't believe me, just consider all of this. Life is too short to worry so much. Dying alone is the worst way to die.

    Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •