I'm doing a survey

Thread: I'm doing a survey

Default I'm doing a survey

Hey everyone.

This is my first post here, so this is probably in the wrong forum. In fact, I'm calling this topic getting locked or deleted for being capitalist and whatnot.

But I digress. A little about myself: I'm a college student at Georgia Tech currently taking a class on how to start businesses. We're being taught in a pretty hands on way; our professor let us separate into companies and the ideal goal for the end of the class is to actually go public. The professor says it's an automatic A if we do. =3

Anyways, I'm doing work for the potential start up called Shiny Egg. We cater to fan people, keeping them connected to the world and each other. Of course the idea of being a fankid made me think of my childhood days, playing Pokemon all day. And by childhood days, I mean last semester.

That's why I came here. I heard from a good friend of mine (I think she goes by Salamence or something like that; one of those newfangled imaginary Pokemon that came after my time) about this place, so I'm hoping this wonderful community can help.

Right now, we're trying to decide a direction that we want to go, but we haven't really surveyed our target audience much. We need to figure out what it is that people actually want; after all, if we make something shiny but no one cares, then we're a flop. We've got three possible ideas, and therefore directions that we want to take.

(these are all working titles because I'm sure they violate copyright)

1) Fred's List
    This site is a dedicated trading place for memorabilia, tickets, action figures, games, and all kinds of cool stuff. The site wouldn't rely on actual currency but would instead have its own credit system. That way people can avoid the hassle of having to sell something, then use that money to buy other things. Instead, people can barter directly with other people. Alternatively, they could just go with the standard trade-stuff-in-for-credits and buy-stuff-using-credits and buy-credits-with-real-money.

2) Treehouse
    Got a bunch of news sites, fan forums, and gossip sites to watch? Want to find out some information on your favorite game, but think Google is boring? Well then use Treehouse! (my partners will all kill me for using this name instead of our other working title of 'Tree of Knowledge'). Basically you enter in your areas of interest and plant these seeds. Very soon, they grow into a tree that you can shape to your liking. Fruit will grow on the tree, representing links to articles, stories, and various other sites pertaining to your interests. After clicking on one, you can either throw it out or keep it in your basket, thereby customizing your tree even more.

3) Totally Trivia
    Impress everyone with your in-depth knowledge of celebrities, pop culture, movies, music, games and everything with this fun little game. Simply answer questions correctly and get points. From there, points can be redeemed for real life prizes. Get enough points, and/or be the best of the best, and you get the grand prize: a chance to meet and get a signature from whatever celebrity pertains to the trivia you've been doing. People stand in line for hours after concerts to get an autograph. People spend bajillions to get backstage. You can play a game and cut everyone in line.

Like I said earlier, these are more directions than actual product possibilities, so any and all criticism, comments, and questions are welcome.

Thanks for reading!

Much less-than-three,
    ch00beh

Level 98 RexRacer's Avatar Former Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I'm doing a survey

Moved to proper forum.

Good luck on your survey!

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

as a Trivia geek (especially when it comes to a certain boy wizard) I go with 3.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Strange is Relative Dewgong Reign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I myself am about the biggest Hayao Miyazaki dork, and would love to hear info in Treehouse his original ideas that weren't in the movies or manga and whatever. 3.

Blog Entries

Fred's List. I love shopping. :P
    Video Game Collection & Wishlist

IMPORTANT REMINDER:
    It's just the Internet. Calm down.

Blog Entries

Fred's list or the trivia thing sound like a good idea.

Promise me you won't do that tree of wisdom thing, my god that sounds cheesy.

Hipsteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer Phoenicks's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm voting for Fred's list
    "The inward skies of man will accompany him across any void upon which he ventures and will be with him to the end of time." -- Loren Eiseley

Blog Entries

Yeah, I say Fred's list would be a close second for me, after Treehouse.

Thanks everyone for the input! Here and the various other places I've posted at have really helped us in making a decision.

We'll be following the #3 path of trivia and prizes and whatnot. We've now moved onto the actual product design phase. I'd like to shift the survey to more of a discussion and just ask a general question: what exactly do you hope to get out of a trivia experience? Is it the prize at the end? Is it the fact that you get to look more knowledgeable than everyone else? Something I can't think of right now?

Thanks again for all the input!

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

The questions and how hard they are. IMO, you want questions for every skill level--no one will play if the questions are too hard or too easy.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

For me, the fun of trivia is just knowing; it's why I love watching Jeopardy! No stunts to perform: just knowledge, plain and simple.

Blog Entries

For me, I'd like possibly a connection with anime designers. Possibly, (Like in my case with awesome Miyazaki tivia) you could have someone who relates with Studio Ghibli to contribute some unknown trivia, like thoughts Miyazaki had for original versions of his anime, and ideas and scenes cut from his visions of the final movie.

If this were possible, I think I'd squeal and pass out. I just love knowing stuff that the "little people" don't, and having "nerd privleges."

Thanks for the replies, guys. So if I got this straight, you guys want:
    a) a challenge
    b) insider information

This is helpful. We had originally been skewing towards fans wanting to be the very best, that no one ever was, but it looks like most trivia people just like to know stuff.

Such is the problem of only having one fangirl in the company, and two ex-fanboys.