The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4 - Page 1958

Page 1958 of 2755 FirstFirst ... 9581458185819081948195619571958195919601968200820582458 ... LastLast
Results 29,356 to 29,370 of 41324
Like Tree10718Likes

Thread: The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

Default Re: The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi-kun View Post
    Perhaps the first contact that we have with an alien race will be when they destroy our planet so as to build a freeway.
    Having some lanes clean of (large) objects for interstellar travel kinda makes sense. That being said, even a grain of dust is going to hit like an ICBM at the speeds involved, so it's kind of a moot point in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Booster Gold View Post
    Not on par, but really damn close to it. They invented solar energy, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Yeah, nah.

when they see us land on our moon,
    I could only begin to imagine what kind of devices they would have to have just to pick up a ridiculously small vessel landing on a moon in a random system from what is probably thousands of light years away.
    industrial likes this.

Pata pata pata pata pata! Italy-kun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Italy-kun on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by H-con View Post
    I could only begin to imagine what kind of devices they would have to have just to pick up a ridiculously small vessel landing on a moon in a random system from what is probably thousands of light years away.
    I have to imagine that such technology would come along around the same time as any sort of sense-making interstellar travel.
    "It just goes to show you that people with brain damage are the real heroes, aren't they?" --Wheatley, Portal 2
    "Open mouth, insert foot." --Joe Kido, Digimon Adventure 01
    "Screw it, the gloves are coming off, MEAN BEAN MACHINE!" --Me playing Sonic Mega Collection

Played in Inazuma Eleven Mafia, Super Street Fighter IV Mafia and Pokemon Christmas Mafia 2011. Winning faction of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Mafia and DPPt: Sinnoh Mafia! SO HAPPY!

What is this I don't even industrial's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jolene View Post
    In other news, my eyelid swelling is going down. I just saved $100 for not going to the doctor. I am so glad I did not take anyone's advice and go to the doctor.
    Good to hear! Keep in mind, the only correct sort of medical advice from a non-doctor is "Go see a doctor!"

And here I thought that the only aliens who made contact with our planet were just a bunch of teasers.
    Perhaps the first contact that we have with an alien race will be when they destroy our planet so as to build a freeway.
    Do you think the dominant life form will have four wheels?

I think I just fell in love. Marry me.

As far as ancient tech goes - human beings haven't really changed much in the past few thousand years. Our knowledge and technology has, but the capacity for innovation has not. It's plausible to suggest that ancient civilizations may have had technology we've never even dreamed of - and that no evidence for this technology exists today. Fossil, archaeological, and historical records will never be complete and I don't believe we'll ever have the entire story of our precursors.

Just recently we've discovered tools that may have been used in electroplating processes - hundreds if not thousands of years before any sort of electrical theory was known to be proposed. Fossil records are estimated to contain perhaps 1% of the species of animals that existed at the records' time.

This is exactly why preserving current events, technologies, and art is so important. Future generations, (or indeed, even aliens who may visit our planet millions of years after we've died out or moved on) will have much to learn and much to gain from a proper, long-lasting record of our triumphs, defeats, and beliefs. I'll now paraphrase/parrot some relevant cliches.

Those who fail to remember the past are doomed to repeat it.

Enlightenment is when old men plant trees whose shade they will never enjoy.
    Last edited by industrial; 31st May 2013 at 08:46 PM.

Empress of the Bird Reich Lyrebird's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think Aliens have better things to do and worry about than us. I mean we are aliens to them. I bet they are like communicating in their language and are like "Dude what if there are squishy fleshy talking aliens in other universe" and then they will be like "I wonder if they have taryip nectar." and the other alien will be like "You've been drinking too much taryip nectar. Why would there be squishy fleshy aliens?"

They have their own issues to worry about than us.

Blog Entries

If the world breaks out into Nuclear War, I believe most of mankind's knowledge would be lost, and we will have to rediscover everything. It will be like Adventure Time or the Crysalids.

Y > X

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    I think Aliens have better things to do and worry about than us. I mean we are aliens to them. I bet they are like communicating in their language and are like "Dude what if there are squishy fleshy talking aliens in other universe" and then they will be like "I wonder if they have taryip nectar." and the other alien will be like "You've been drinking too much taryip nectar. Why would there be squishy fleshy aliens?"

I don't think we can really assume that they're not interested in us. I mean, they're aliens. Maybe the thought of another intelligent life form existing enrages them. We can't know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nick of Time View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post

I don't think we can really assume that they're not interested in us. I mean, they're aliens. Maybe the thought of another intelligent life form existing enrages them. We can't know.
    Maybe they don't care. I mean who knows. If I was an alien (Well I am anyway to them) I wouldn't care. They may have their own issues politically, economically, socially and all that jazz to give a pair of heels about us.

Blog Entries

Follow Booster the Gawd on Tumblr

If I was an alien, and I had the manpower and technology why wouldn't you visit other worlds and even galaxies? Imagine war in space, now that would be epic!

This is of course assuming any aliens develop complex life, intelligence, civilization, theory of mind, communication, et cetera... Or that they even exist simultaneously ... (the first stars likely appeared ~13 billion years ago, human civilization has been around about 1 millionth of that time - you do the math).

Or maybe we're in the Matrix, and aliens have already enslaved us.

*puts tinfoil hat back on*
    Italy-kun and mariowie like this.

Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure if there was aliens, the'de be lightyears ahead of us. In terms of everything.

... or lightyears behind us! Maybe we'll be the master alien overlords someday.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by industrial View Post
    ... or lightyears behind us! Maybe we'll be the master alien overlords someday.
    Yeah, but not in the near future. I personally think if we had a war in outer space we'de get are buts handed to us. Not saying we are bad, but we're not united which is something those aliens probably are. United. Plus they probably have more balls and sexy ladies.

You are probably right. Nothing but time will tell.

Also, hopefully by then we'll have outgrown the need for a warlike response. I like to think that we have the potential to be better than that - violence would only be a last resort, and only to protect ourselves from certain doom.

I don't know if you've seen the Watchmen movie, but it has a very similar theme to what you're saying about unity. I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it, but very relative to the unity and space aliens topic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by industrial View Post
    You are probably right. Nothing but time will tell.

Also, hopefully by then we'll have outgrown the need for a warlike response. I like to think that we have the potential to be better than that - violence would only be a last resort, and only to protect ourselves from certain doom.

I don't know if you've seen the Watchmen movie, but it has a very similar theme to what you're saying about unity. I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it, but very relative to the unity and space aliens topic.
    If I know humans, violence is in our nature, its in our blood. All of us have the capabilities to kill, only a few do.

As some people can tell (my name) I am very much into superheroes. Yes, I have see the Watchmen and read the comic its based on. (which I won't rant on) What part specifically are you speaking about?

Blog Entries

I was wondering where your Skeets was.
    Booster the Gawd likes this.