The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4 - Page 1941

Page 1941 of 2755 FirstFirst ... 9411441184118911931193919401941194219431951199120412441 ... LastLast
Results 29,101 to 29,115 of 41324
Like Tree10718Likes

Thread: The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4

Quote Originally Posted by industrial View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolene View Post
    Guys, never drive with your eyes dialated. Ever.
    Sounds painful. On the plus side there are great cop-trolling opportunities...
    People stare like hell at red lights. WHY IS THIS BLIND PERSON DRIVING? I have never seen such a bright overcast day.

Y > X

Blog Entries

Follow Booster the Gawd on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by amethystGoblin View Post
    I still need to buy the Wii U.
    Ehhh... as much as I should get it, the joysticks for the new controller turns me off real bad.

Blog Entries

I will get the Wii U when Wind Waker HD comes out. Ain't nobody got money for that now.
    Italy-kun likes this.

Y > X

Blog Entries

I'm probably going to get it when the new smash bros comes out.

Mama, we all go to hell. TheCapsFan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow TheCapsFan on Tumblr

I still need to buy the Wii U.
    Same here. I'll be buying it sooner or later, hopefully I'll get it for my birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Booster Gold View Post
    Ehhh... as much as I should get it, the joysticks for the new controller turns me off real bad.
    Really? The new controller reminds me of a up-to-date, upgraded GameCube controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Booster Gold View Post
    I'm probably going to get it when the new smash bros comes out.
    Isn't there one coming out for the 3ds as well, or did that one get cancelled?

Blog Entries

Yeah, last we heard thats still coming out. Why would you play it on a 5 inch screen when you can play it on your 60 inch tv.

Not the control necessarily just the joysticks for the controller. They move wayyy too freely.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheCapsFan View Post
    Same here. I'll be buying it sooner or later, hopefully I'll get it for my birthday.
    Speaking of you, the fact that you're using full body art in your avatar like that enrages me. It looks horrible. At least use the official icons they have on the site. Here:

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i343/SuperSeaking/FireEmblem_icon_Frederick_zps88196197.jpg~original

Bigger version:

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i343/SuperSeaking/FireEmblem_icon_Frederick3_zps1a3c5e45.png~original

Blog Entries
    Follow Cariad On Twitter Add Cariad on Google+
    Follow Cariad on Tumblr Visit Cariad's Youtube Channel

I don't even want the Wii U. So far, there are no games set for it that I'm looking forward to (unless the new Smash Bros is for it, that is) and the controller looks ... odd. Knowing me, I'll probably end up buying it anyway, but it's not something I'm in any hurry to buy.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Ah I missed the math discussion.

My two cents:

I think we're all aware that you need advanced math for just about any scientific pursuits, but not everyone is planning to be a scientist, and I think a lot of the people who argue against math are people who are considering professions where they probably wouldn't use that much math that they learned in high school. Like, I'm getting my degree in a humanities field and my non-school stuff is mainly writing for an LGBT news site and composing music, and yeah, I've used very little of the math I learned beyond Algebra 1 for any of those things, and I would say the same is likely true for others in similar fields. STEM people can talk all they want about how hunting for motifs in The Great Gatsby hasn't helped them much, but the same is true for most people in the arts (other than some visual arts, like architecture) and humanities when it comes to trigonometry or calculus.

I just think the issue here is that we shouldn't be judging the worthiness of a field based on its application to a particular career. Even if you don't use literary analysis in your career, it makes you a better consumer of media to know how to analyze a work of fiction. Likewise with math: even if you'll never use a particular equation again, being able to figure out math problems makes you a more logical and methodical thinker and thus, a more intelligent, thoughtful person. Education shouldn't be purely about the "practical" and I think it's a major flaw in our society that we seem to be increasingly evaluating it only in those terms.

At the very least, the more you know, the more interesting you are. When I went to a music conservatory for undergrad, being one of the few people who took any advanced math or science in high school (because I went to an all-IB-diploma school, so I had to) meant I had a lot of things to add to conversations that others didn't.
    Last edited by Misato Katsuragi; 26th May 2013 at 05:19 AM.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

I think the point was that a lot of people really hate math. Not just "I dislike it as a subject", it's more like unjustified ignorance towards it. I mean, there's few people I know that study science/math/engineering subjects that really hate music or literature, learning other languages, having some insight in the working of society and our legal system, etc. They might not like the way it's taught in school, but it's not very cool to hate these things.

Now, me and the people I'm studying with often jokingly mock humanities for their often light workload (inb4 Faye Valentie says they don't have), but we also joke about the engineering students who often show a pretty bad attitude against math as well, like it's just a tool to be used, not much more than that (of course, it works both ways). In the end though, people should study what they want, for whatever reason they want, be that learning or getting a job they want. A world without such diversity is a pretty dull world.

Of course, you could start breaking down the music into math (and physics). I don't think most musicians do that, for some reason...
    Kakuna Matata likes this.

Mama, we all go to hell. TheCapsFan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow TheCapsFan on Tumblr

Speaking of you, the fact that you're using full body art in your avatar like that enrages me. It looks horrible. At least use the official icons they have on the site. Here:

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i343/SuperSeaking/FireEmblem_icon_Frederick_zps88196197.jpg~original

Bigger version:

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i343/SuperSeaking/FireEmblem_icon_Frederick3_zps1a3c5e45.png~original
    Thank you, but I'll have to update it another time, I'm in a bit of a rush right now. xD

Blog Entries

I still have my Physics, Chemistry and and Math notebooks from highschool. I keep them around as a just in case measure, like if I have to fix a friend's time machine. My teacher explained everything in a simple manner, and I did relatively well in them. However I just had no intetest to continue them whatsoever.

Y > X

Blog Entries
    Follow Cariad On Twitter Add Cariad on Google+
    Follow Cariad on Tumblr Visit Cariad's Youtube Channel

I have only one, semi-valid reason to hate maths. I have dyscalculia. For anyone who doesn't know, it's the equivalent to dyslexia with numbers. Number patterns often don't make sense to me, or it takes a long time for me to comprehend a simple number problem. See, I wouldn't have a problem with that if my school didn't pretend that it wasn't a real problem and that it isn't just an excuse for my arithmetic problems. Seriously, if you have dyslexia in my school, you're treated much more easily, for example your tests are simplified, you get more help, etc. With dyscalculia, you're just treated like you're stupid, as opposed to you actually having a problem. I know it's because it's less-known and many people don't classify it as real, but it is.

I know maths is mandatory because I'd be pretty much fucked without it, but they don't half treat you badly here if you're not good at it. I think my last maths exam score was 38%, or somewhere around that mark. I get a lot of bullshit for not enjoying maths, but with my problem and my teacher being more than a little incapable of handling children, it's only natural that I hate it. For me, I prefer things that require less logic, like creative writing, language/literature, foreign languages, music and art. I guess that's just because it's easier for me. I enjoy physics and chemistry, just not maths. (inb4 "don't complain so much it's just a subject")

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by H-con View Post
    I think the point was that a lot of people really hate math. Not just "I dislike it as a subject", it's more like unjustified ignorance towards it. I mean, there's few people I know that study science/math/engineering subjects that really hate music or literature, learning other languages, having some insight in the working of society and our legal system, etc. They might not like the way it's taught in school, but it's not very cool to hate these things.
    Okay, you're right about this. I was just thinking about how a lot of the people in my high school who were planning to study something science-y complained about their English and history classes as much as I (then) complained about having to take math. And I knew STEM majors who bitched about having to take Gen Eds in those things. But then, as a music major - and we had relatively little Gen Eds at all, and none of it was math and science - I knew people who complained about anything that wasn't getting better at their instrument. They were generally my least favorite people in music school, precisely because they were fucking boring because they had no interests outside of music.

Now, me and the people I'm studying with often jokingly mock humanities for their often light workload (inb4 Faye Valentie says they don't have)
    Eh, I'd say you're probably right when it comes to undergrad humanities majors, in that most of the grueling stuff they have to do you probably have to do, too. But I'm a grad student, that's a horse of a different color.

Of course, you could start breaking down the music into math (and physics). I don't think most musicians do that, for some reason...
    We do; it's called music theory. It doesn't use mathematical formulas or anything, but requires a lot of mathematical types of reasoning to understand, which is what I meant about how the thinking skills that math apply to you later in life even if you don't actually use the quadratic formula ever again. And pretty much no music school will give you a degree in anything without several music theory courses.

But it's worth noting that music degrees are a lot like professional degrees, in that if you're getting one in performance or composition (unlike musicology or music theory, the former of which is my current degree - those are more academic), it's pretty focused around what you'd need to be a successful performer/composer and not much else. So you learn music history and theory because it's necessary for the understanding you need to perform the music better - even if some performance majors don't want to acknowledge this - but the physics of music gets a little beyond that. People who study things like music technology/sound engineering had to take some classes in that, though, and were required to take lots of math that the rest of us didn't have to take.
    Last edited by Misato Katsuragi; 26th May 2013 at 07:28 AM.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Bigger version:

Pls, in-game portraits are the way to go.