The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4 - Page 1934

Page 1934 of 2755 FirstFirst ... 9341434183418841924193219331934193519361944198420342434 ... LastLast
Results 28,996 to 29,010 of 41324
Like Tree10718Likes

Thread: The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4

Default Re: The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4

I tend to agree with both of you on the subject of affected ignorance (not in a theological sense, but.. the actual English meaning of the phrase)... You can lead a horse to water... Anyhow.

And yes, Jolene, I think we all understand that what you were saying is more a result of frustration when encountering a difficult concept or problem, rather than prideful ignorance.

On another note, have any of you guys seen the Sagan Series?
    This conversation brought to mind part 3, A Reassuring Fable.

Here's the link to part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY59wZdCDo0
    and part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCfemmxqaRg

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by industry View Post
    Again with the "it's cool to hate math" attitude. You never see a scientist or mathematician bragging about how little he knows about history or English.
    Hey, different strokes for different folks, eh?
    I don't care if people don't like math or are not good at it, but it bothers me when they brag about not being good at it as if that's some kind of badge of honor.
    I'm not even a math person and I agree with you.

That being said, I personally have seen STEM types brag about their ignorance of the humanities/arts.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Mama, we all go to hell. TheCapsFan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow TheCapsFan on Tumblr

Sorry I haven't been here at all, I've been preoccupied with TLOZ: The Wind Waker.

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi-kun View Post
    Crisps are known as Chips in the United States.

And I love how "chips" outside of the US refer to what we in the US know as "fries."

Neat stuff!
    I'm outside of the US and I refer to fries as what you in the US know as fries.

When I think "football," I think "people getting super excited over something that isn't that big a deal." This applies to both the European and American versions.
    Blasphemy! European football is the most nationalistic thing in existence. Queen's King's day will pale in comparison to the day we win the world cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakuna Matata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mijzelffan View Post
    It's awesome. The support conversations are the best feature imo x)
    fuck yeeeeees they were so nerfed in Radiant Dawn (last one that I played, didn't buy Shadow Dragon.)
    Actually not all of them are good. I got one that was really lame throughout all supports. Most so far have been good though. The additional conversations on the scramble dlc packs are very nice as well (in some cases it allows people to talk who can't normally support).

Quote Originally Posted by amethystGoblin View Post
    June 14 is the day Animal Crossing comes out. You shouldn't be playing fire emblem on that day.
    But but

Fire Emblem > Animal Crossing

I haven't been able to really get into Animal Crossing since the original (and to a lesser extent Wild World), I might have to give it another go.
    Same. I mean I still like it, but one of the big reasons I liked the Gamecube game is because you could play NES games in it.
    Once I have the game I'm gonna try to visit as many bmgf'ers' town as possible, and it will be awesome :3

I haven't posted in this thread for a while I think. Should I pull a KM and massquote?
    I'm debating whether to be happy that there's such a thing as "pull a KM," or be sad that no one else wallposts outside of mafia games. Oh Wallpostopolis, syour days of glory are long past. :'(

But moving on from that, it was a glorious wallpost. Like Fab I commend you for your efforts.
    Well if you just posted here more regularly there would be no need for wallposts :P

I think I hate BB code now. And its not allowing image maps. I make an image with a bunch of links inside of it, and I have to cut it into a bunch of different pieces, since each link has to be its own image in BB code. Never again.
    Actually I think it's possible to have text go over an image, as Rayne used to have that in his signature. What you want does have to be done in split images though.
    You can use the div tag for that. Something like this: [div="width: 600px; height: 15px; margin-top: -35px; text-shadow: 5px 5px 6px black;"]
    Awesome.

Yay, I did it!
    So proud. :')
    ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    It is super cold. How do you Northern hemisphere people deal with cold weather? I can't handle it.
    Two jackets along with hand warmers, and five blankets for when you sleep. (I'm such a wimp when it comes to the cold.)
    Yes. Yes you are. Wimp :P

I don't care how long a hiatus gravity falls has, who really wants to see a new episode anyway.
    This was funny until my tears began to cloud my vision. TT-TT
    Hehe. I miss gravity falls though. We were so close to the finale too.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Like what? That's how I felt about watering berries in Gen 4 after awhile.

Ugh. :x One reason I don't care to have fish. An axolotl on the other hand...
    Just odd things. I'm a bit OCD and It bugs me if a game has collectable items that I haven't found or certain bits I miss that most people wouldn't worry about. Watering berries was definitely a chore. Like picking acorns.
    I hate it if a game has permanently missable things and I miss one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolene View Post
    To me, we are taught all the math we need in primary/elementary school and the rest is just filler. Where the fuck does one use Algebra in life?
    Your highschool must suck because the math I had in high school has proved useful to me on multiple occasions. Statistics and probability and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Faye Valentine View Post
    I'm not even a math person and I agree with you.

That being said, I personally have seen STEM types brag about their ignorance of the humanities/arts.
    People just like being ignorant I guess?

Gangsta's Paradise Froakie's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Froakie on Tumblr

Hiyaa been called to this thread because maths discussions
    'Algebra' at a high school level isn't the same algebra that they teach in degrees. If you google 'Algebra' what you really learn is something called Elementary Algebra which is actually hella useful in everyday life. Yes you may not literally use the idea of an 'x' in everyday life, but you will keep the abstract properties of what you've learnt to work in everyday problems. You'll subconsciously substitute x for a value or whatever when you're out shopping, doing bank stuff, etc. Abstract algebra which I learn I haven't really found a use for in everyday life, but when I'm doing my degree and I see a non-algebra question, I think 'holy shit this actually makes sense to me', and I think back at stuff I did at school and know I understand everything behind it too. That knowledge may be trivial but it's satisfying in a way that when I'm just living my life I see things, relate them to maths, and think 'hey that's kinda cool I understand how the world and physics and life goes about now'. Maybe not to that extreme, but it definitely has an effect.

All higher forms of scientific professions will need extremely complicated maths. And without that the world would be a completely different place, much less advanced than we are today. Yes you won't need to use 'geometry' but you will need to use applied forms of 'geometry' such as 'how many boxes can I fit in the boot of the car' or any types of house refurbishment, whatever. Yes you'll never need to sit down and work out the missing value of x on a composite shape, but I can assure you without that knowledge being taught in schools, the world would be a much less functioning and logical place.

Blog Entries

So many math warriors. I feel stupid now.

Y > X

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheCapsFan View Post
    Sorry I haven't been here at all, I've been preoccupied with TLOZ: The Wind Waker.
    I can't wake for the remake. >w<

*wait

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

So many math warriors. I feel stupid now.
    Haha math warriors. Leading the crusade against ignorance.
    Italy-kun likes this.
    maglev is invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Froakie View Post
    This is a concise and complete answer to the question of applied mathematics in everyday life. Mind if I borrow it?

Pata pata pata pata pata! Italy-kun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Italy-kun on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Like what? That's how I felt about watering berries in Gen 4 after awhile.

Ugh. :x One reason I don't care to have fish. An axolotl on the other hand...
    Just odd things. I'm a bit OCD and It bugs me if a game has collectable items that I haven't found or certain bits I miss that most people wouldn't worry about. Watering berries was definitely a chore. Like picking acorns.

I'd love an axolotl. I planned to get one last year but my friend told me hers evolved into a lizard type thing. They might be too exotic for me.
    When those guys metamorphosize it's SOOO COOL!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jam Scone View Post
    You know, I legitimately have no idea what geometry is. Is that shapes and the sort, or am I thinking of something else?
    Perimeter, area, volume etc.
    To me, we are taught all the math we need in primary/elementary school and the rest is just filler. Where the fuck does one use Algebra in life?
    I really have to stop doing this... but my reflexes as a TA are hard to overrule.

Almost every technical field requires higher mathematics. Just to build a house, a competent architect needs to have a firm grasp of static physics, which in turn relies on both integral and differential calculus. The drafter needs to understand geometry, which relies on algebra, simply to draw up blueprints based on the architect's overall design. Then, the contractor, using these plans, must perform a cost/benefit analysis to determine the cost and time to produce the final product, so a profitable and realistic bid can be placed on the job. Even this requires algebra and statistics.

Some people may get away with a minimal knowledge of arithmetic, but these jobs are not in nearly as high demand or as high-paying. Of course, there are always exceptions, I'm just generalizing.
    Guys, we may have a capital-G genius over here.
    Blasphemy! European football is the most nationalistic thing in existence. Queen's King's day will pale in comparison to the day we win the world cup.
    You're Dutch, yeah? If so I support this immensely. Big fan of the Netherlands as a country. Johan Croif (spelling?) is (was?) awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mijzelffan
    Once I have the game I'm gonna try to visit as many bmgf'ers' town as possible, and it will be awesome :3
    Heck yes, man.

I hate it if a game has permanently missable things and I miss one of them.
    THIS.
    Your highschool must suck because the math I had in high school has proved useful to me on multiple occasions. Statistics and probability and such.
    That sort of thing is definitely useful.

The way this year has gone in Geometry class can be described with just a bit of quote editing.
    I see an algebra question, I think 'holy shit this actually makes sense to me'
    Like seriously. When we have to factor polynomials and stuff, it makes more sense now that it's not just an abstraction.

Also @Jam Scone; you'll be fine. If all else fails, we'll help you study.
    "It just goes to show you that people with brain damage are the real heroes, aren't they?" --Wheatley, Portal 2
    "Open mouth, insert foot." --Joe Kido, Digimon Adventure 01
    "Screw it, the gloves are coming off, MEAN BEAN MACHINE!" --Me playing Sonic Mega Collection

Played in Inazuma Eleven Mafia, Super Street Fighter IV Mafia and Pokemon Christmas Mafia 2011. Winning faction of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Mafia and DPPt: Sinnoh Mafia! SO HAPPY!

Gangsta's Paradise Froakie's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Froakie on Tumblr

This is a concise and complete answer to the question of applied mathematics in everyday life. Mind if I borrow it?
    My post? Course ya can, as long as it spreads the good word of maths around. :P I think your post was a lot more useful than mine when discussing professions that need maths, but in any case, people complaining how they'll never need to use a subject I'm spending 4 years doing a degree on which I may or may not have chosen because it's a very useful subject always gets me wanting to defend it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Aura-kun View Post
    Guys, we may have a capital-G genius over here.
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic... but no, I'm not that clever, just tons and tons of school. Tons. tons.

My post? Course ya can, as long as it spreads the good word of maths around. :P I think your post was a lot more useful than mine when discussing professions that need maths, but in any case, people complaining how they'll never need to use a subject I'm spending 4 years doing a degree on which I may or may not have chosen because it's a very useful subject always gets me wanting to defend it :P
    Well, thank you on both counts. My description is pretty typical of a depth-first description, definitely one of my failings.
    I can understand wanting to defend your choice of subject matter for study, having been there before. Many times.

What sort of math degree are you working towards? The most I've done, academically, (aside from core - calc, geo, differentials etc) is a bit of computational and modular mathematics - mostly for the sake of cryptography.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fuck, math, what is that? Like, man.

Mama, we all go to hell. TheCapsFan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow TheCapsFan on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by TheCapsFan View Post
    I can't wake for the remake. >w<

*wait
    punpunpunpUNPUNPUNPUN HAHAHAHA

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I said it before, you guys can create a maths thread if you think it'd be a good hang out for you lot. I think it'd be decently popular.

Bulba Pub has went well, after all.
    maglev is invisible