The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4 - Page 1825

Page 1825 of 2755 FirstFirst ... 8251325172517751815182318241825182618271835187519252325 ... LastLast
Results 27,361 to 27,375 of 41324
Like Tree10719Likes

Thread: The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

Default Re: The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4

Quote Originally Posted by Faye Valentine View Post
    @TheMissingno.; Don't even try to compare history to esoteric math subjects a lot of people are, honestly, never going to use beyond high school. (I'm not talking algebra, I'm talking advanced trig and statistics. Yes, most of us who aren't in math and science don't use that very much.)
    Ehhmm, it's not the math that is the real important part, it's the part where you sit down and analyze a problem, going through step by step to attain the solution. Somehow that gets lost in translation or something. That's ability is extremely important, nobody thinks engineers need to sit down and do basic integrals.

And besides, humans love problems, as long as they're presented in a satisfying way.
    Froakie likes this.

ღ Still Counting ღ Caprizant's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Caprizant on Tumblr

While I do agree it's important to have an education in many different fields in case it comes useful for you later in life, I really feel our efforts are best directed towards more general stuff such as employability, financial management, general health care, etc. The more career-specific stuff can be saved for later education. Much of the school system needs a do-over, really. People just aren't taught what they need to know right after they leave high school: how to get a job, keep it, earn good money on it, be smart with that money, own a house, have a family, stay healthy, or even just how to deal with other people in general. All the extra work just causes unnecessary pressure on students and leaves them confused and lost when they leave school. Kids are taught they need to get high grades, they need to know what they're taught, they absolutely need to be top-notch in intelligence. This just creates unnecessary pressure. I've recently gotten panic attacks because my grades are subpar, even though all my teachers tell me I'm a brilliant kid. I just don't get why we teach students the way we do now.
    Cariad likes this.

"Cheer up baby, it wasn't always quite so bad; for every bit of venom that came out, the antidote was had."
    F&GRulesLast.fmTPPSDaveVriskaKurlozRoseRoxyPorrimUser TitleLocationQuote

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
    But aren't you 13 or 14? History only really gets fun in the later parts of secondary school and university, when you start analyzing accounts of history themselves and, yes, how much of what we learn in the earlier grades is propaganda one way or the other.
    13. Mm, I've heard from my sister that the actual good stuff in both history and R.E comes in later on. But that's only if we take it as one of our options, isn't it?
    Well then you should take it as one of your options!

Quote Originally Posted by H-con View Post
    @TheMissingno.; Don't even try to compare history to esoteric math subjects a lot of people are, honestly, never going to use beyond high school. (I'm not talking algebra, I'm talking advanced trig and statistics. Yes, most of us who aren't in math and science don't use that very much.)
    Ehhmm, it's not the math that is the real important part, it's the part where you sit down and analyze a problem, going through step by step to attain the solution. Somehow that gets lost in translation or something. That's ability is extremely important, nobody thinks engineers need to sit down and do basic integrals.

And besides, humans love problems, as long as they're presented in a satisfying way.
    But in the same way, English classes aren't just about hunting for color words in The Great Gatsby. They're about giving us the basic skills of literary analysis that we can use to critically engage with all kinds of media we encounter in our lives.

And yeah, I think most high school English teachers miss that fact (and it's a major bone I have to pick with them). But likewise, most of my high school math teachers didn't spend much time explaining how the basic skills of mathematical problem solving applied to our lives beyond figuring out the equation in front of us.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries
    Add reorio on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by reorio View Post
    Lol 13 year olds.
    Aw c'mon, we're not that bad, I swear!
    Tell that to someone who wasn't one year old during the 9/11 scare.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Lol 13 year olds.
    Aw c'mon, we're not that bad, I swear!
    Don't be ageist. I'm sure people who were kids for most of the 1980s can similarly criticize us early-and-mid20-somethings for not being able to remember the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries
    Add reorio on Facebook

I'm not ageist, I just have a hard time believing someone whose peers haven't taken algebra would have a thorough understanding of adult issues. It's 15-16 where I can see someone I would be able to treat on level footing. That's from personal experience by the way.

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

And yeah, I think most high school English teachers miss that fact (and it's a major bone I have to pick with them). But likewise, most of my high school math teachers didn't spend much time explaining how the basic skills of mathematical problem solving applied to our lives beyond figuring out the equation in front of us.
    And therein lies the problem. Math education would hardly be as terrible if people focused less on the absurd notion that everything have to have a direct, practical appliance in real life, and more to the fact that knowledge and the ability to solve problems analytically is fundamental to a society as a whole.

Of course, don't interpret that as me saying math>everything else. A broad spectrum of subjects is needed to really stimulate a student, anything else leads to stagnation.

While the current state of the educational system is ... generally not optimal for a lot of countries, I'm still a bit skeptical to the idea of teaching employment and all that. That's an idea that's born to fail hard, I'm sure of it. No matter though, with the advances in technology, education is well overdue for change, and it's bound to change quite a bit.
    Froakie likes this.

Blog Entries

I'm not ageist, I just have a hard time believing someone whose peers haven't taken algebra would have a thorough understanding of adult issues. It's 15-16 where I can see someone I would be able to treat on level footing. That's from personal experience by the way.
    She's Welsh, so her school system is different—they get to high school and skip middle school, iirc. She does take algebra, I know. And she's a very reasonable person. c:

"Cheer up baby, it wasn't always quite so bad; for every bit of venom that came out, the antidote was had."

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries
    Add reorio on Facebook

All I know about the European school system is that the French call middle school "college," so my analogy referred to our way of going about things :P

Trophies
    Blog Entries

I'll use parabolas, the thing that Fabby mentioned. Have you ever thrown an object? If so, then parabolas.
    That's nice.

Blog Entries

That has nothing to do with anything. People can be wise beyond their years. It doesn't always matter. I can honestly say I don't think i'm any wiser now, than when I was 13. Actually, I feel myself getting more immature with age :B
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.

Gangsta's Paradise Froakie's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Froakie on Tumblr

I didn't take just maths as a degree because I'm necessarily going to need to analyse limits or talk about rings of numbers or whatever I'm even learning, maths and science help extremely well with analytical skills, problem solving, and are very employable. In any type of job, some jobs look specifically for graduates out of maths-based degrees, and also, it's interesting. I don't care I'm never gonna have to work out a Fourier series in my adult life, I'm also never gonna have to write an essay on Italy in the 1900's either.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries
    Add reorio on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    That has nothing to do with anything. People can be wise beyond their years. It doesn't always matter. I can honestly say I don't think i'm any wiser now, than when I was 13. Actually, I feel myself getting more immature with age :B
    13 is an age where boys are still a good 5-6 years from finishing puberty and girls are still years from maturing, so from a biological standpoint they are not as mature as they could be as adults. I was a rebel at that age and admittedly self conscious over dumb issues, so I recounted from experience :$

Blog Entries

13 is an age where boys are still a good 5-6 years from finishing puberty and girls are still years from maturing, so from a biological standpoint they are not as mature as they could be as adults. I was a rebel at that age and admittedly self conscious over dumb issues, so I recounted from experience :$
    Biological maturity ≠ mental maturity. Many people are much, much smarter than their age would tell you.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries
    Add reorio on Facebook

It differs from person to person, doesn't mean they do not gain life experience from more than half a decade of turbulence. A coddled Norse princess who never stepped out of her room for 17 years would be as immature as a child, but she would have more discretion than she did as a prepubescent. same goes for everyone else who was not caught in a motorbike accident.