The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4 - Page 1742
Page 1742 of 2755 FirstFirst ... 74212421642169217321740174117421743174417521792184222422742 ... LastLast
Results 26,116 to 26,130 of 41324

Thread: The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4

is bafulous Baf's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    DJing is something I've always wanted to learn how to do.

I mean, I can put together playlists and shit like the back of my hand, but how to actually do it live.
    Depends how complex you want it to be, some people just fade the end of a track out and fade in the beginning of another. That's easy, hell you can do that on itunes. Others layer sets of loops to create a mix, depending on your sound source, i.e. vinyl vs digital, it can be more difficult. Fewer crate sounds live, record them and playback their loops.

So it can be as easy as you want it.
    AS: Bellossom, Swampert, Machoke, Linoone
    OR: Torchic, Seedot, Poochyena

☭ The Great Uniter ☭ Mißingnåen's Avatar
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

I took a class in high school called music technology. Basically the first half was just transcribing sheet music into Finale, and the second half was using cakewalk to make a commercial or something. It was kind of a joke. So what it really consisted of was my friend and I making really weird songs in finale.

Then we started a band called Starfish Prime and made songs with lots weird chords in them.
    Fyrirgefðu

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

I took a class on computer music in undergrad, since it was required for me to graduate with a composition degree. It was more about creating original music using entirely a computer (or manipulating pre-recorded sounds via computer, as in musique concrète), and not so much about DJing. And we learned how to use Audacity, Logic Pro, Reason and Max - the only ones I really remember how to use to make music are the first two.

I use Sibelius (which is music notation software like Finale is - "Finale vs. Sibelius" is like "Mac vs. PC" for composers) to write most of my music and have since high school, but most of that isn't "computer music," per se in terms of how that class described it, because it's meant to be performed by live humans. I'm not really interested in writing fully computerized music, but I would like to get better at using those programs for the sake of sort of combination live/pre-recorded pieces and for DJing.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

That sounds like it was actually a legitimate class as opposed to mine which seemed like it was just thrown together at the last minute. I don't think most of the things my friend and I made could be played in real life.
    Fyrirgefðu

Blog Entries
    Add Pokemoll on Facebook

Well, your music classes at least sound more interesting than anything my school has to offer. We basically just study classical music, learn to play a few pieces, and analyse music. All the boring stuff in my opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemoll View Post
    Well, your music classes at least sound more interesting than anything my school has to offer. We basically just study classical music, learn to play a few pieces, and analyse music. All the boring stuff in my opinion.
    Well, aren't you in middle school or high school? My high school's music program was terrible as well. But I went to a music conservatory for undergrad, so there were a lot more varied and specialized music classes there obviously.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries
    Add Pokemoll on Facebook

Well, aren't you in middle school or high school? My high school's music program was terrible as well. But I went to a music conservatory for undergrad, so there were a lot more varied and specialized music classes there obviously.
    British high school, equivalent to American middle school. But it must've been really cool there, getting to vary what music classes you went for. I don't get to do any classes apart from the standard lot until next year.

Blog Entries

British high school, equivalent to American middle school. But it must've been really cool there, getting to vary what music classes you went for. I don't get to do any classes apart from the standard lot until next year.
    Oh, yeah, I really enjoyed it, though I think I prefer being where I am now, which is a good music program within a larger university. I mean, my undergrad was technically a part of Johns Hopkins University and we could take classes at the main campus (and I often did), but it was a much looser connection.

Anyway I'm thinking I should get a SoundCloud account and post recordings of the pieces where I have them being played by actual people (as opposed to Sibelius-generated MIDI messes). With the piece I mentioned above, Winter Shadows, I have a really great recording of the first movement (which is regular flute - piccolo and alto flute are second and third movements, which I don't have recorded yet, looking for an enterprising flautist to do it as soon as I fix some things about those movements).

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Speaking of DJing,

Fyrirgefðu

Blog Entries

'Kay guys I have a SoundCloud now:

https://soundcloud.com/composerose

Uploaded two pieces already.

Blog Entries
    Add Pokemoll on Facebook

I'm listening to Cyberlament right now. It's really good, I'm impressed!

Blog Entries

I'm listening to Cyberlament right now. It's really good, I'm impressed!
    Thanks! I don't know if the dedication shows up but it was written in memory of two of my high school classmates who died during my freshman year of college. That's what the text is describing (which I wrote myself - that's why it's so, um, weird? Weird. Yeah).

Blog Entries
    Add Pokemoll on Facebook

Thanks! I don't know if the dedication shows up but it was written in memory of two of my high school classmates who died during my freshman year of college. That's what the text is describing (which I wrote myself - that's why it's so, um, weird? Weird. Yeah).
    Welcome, but oh, that's horrible ... I'm sorry to hear that. It's very sweet of you to compose a piece in remembrance of two of your classmates though, I think it's a lovely thing to do. And the text looks fine to me!

Trophies
    Blog Entries

I'll listen to it as soon as I'm not at work.
    Fyrirgefðu

Blog Entries

Welcome, but oh, that's horrible ... I'm sorry to hear that. It's very sweet of you to compose a piece in remembrance of two of your classmates though, I think it's a lovely thing to do. And the text looks fine to me!
    Haha yeah it's probably okay. There's just something awkward about an art song that uses words like "blog" and "Facebook."

But I wanted it to be how their online presence lives on and sort of serves as a virtual ghost, even though they're not here anymore. Hence the title, "Cyberlament."