The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4 - Page 1659
Page 1659 of 2755 FirstFirst ... 65911591559160916491657165816591660166116691709175921592659 ... LastLast
Results 24,871 to 24,885 of 41324

Thread: The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    @Xita; The problem is it's just easier to be unoriginal on TV. People would rather go with something that they already know "works" (in terms of getting in viewers, not in terms of quality), even if it sucks, rather than take chances on new stuff.

Glee is a good example. That show has never been great, but in its first season, it was at least something new and original. Nobody had ever had a truly successful TV series musical. But it's long overstayed its welcome, and is basically becoming a parody of itself at this point. Yet, because it's still so popular, they won't ever get rid of it.
    And that's the sad truth.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

(making this into a new comment because of the speed of this thread)

One encouraging thing at least for TV for adults is the rise of premium networks (like HBO and Showtime) and other stuff that goes beyond basic cable, where the more original works can survive because they don't need as big of an audience to be a "hit" for that network. Like, it's well-known that if Mad Men were on CBS or something with the numbers it has, it probably wouldn't have lasted beyond its first season. But because it's on AMC, it's one of their flagship shows and going into its sixth season. I think The Hub could turn out to be something like that for kids' television.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    (making this into a new comment because of the speed of this thread)

One encouraging thing at least for TV for adults is the rise of premium networks (like HBO and Showtime) and other stuff that goes beyond basic cable, where the more original works can survive because they don't need as big of an audience to be a "hit" for that network. Like, it's well-known that if Mad Men were on CBS or something with the numbers it has, it probably wouldn't have lasted beyond its first season. But because it's on AMC, it's one of their flagship shows and going into its sixth season. I think The Hub could turn out to be something like that for kids' television.
    I think the kid's/family networks just fight for money instead of ratings. :p

Speaking of AMC, I haven't watched The Walking Dead in so fucking long. Man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Like, I have a secret ambition to be a TV writer, though I think it's never going to happen because writing TV is so much harder to get into than just about anything else.

And if I were, I'd totally shop my show to HBO, Showtime, AMC, etc. long before I'd approach any of the major networks. Because I don't want to have to deal with my show being too weird to have ratings as high as Two and a Half Men.

The weirdest development in TV is the idea of Hulu and Netflix having their own original shows and releasing them all at once. Like, that just changes so much about what makes TV different than movies in some ways.

Then again, I've watched most of my favorite shows lately in marathon segments, rather than being released one-by-one on TV. Usually because they're either no longer airing (e.g. Firefly) or because they're from another country (e.g. Skins - although they aired it in the U.S., but changed too many things for me to want to bother with it).

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Simpler times ahead
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, too many of my favorite shows aren't aired here, and I marathon them as well. At least we get the closer and friends on TV, and I finally got to see all of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Thinking about marathoning Full House for the sake of nostalgia, but rumor has it that they're gonna air it. Fraiser is on at the wrong time though, Charmed takes up my 7 in the morning tv time. At least we get Raymond at 6. :p
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One of my best friends in the world is completely obsessed with Friends. I don't get it.

I mean, I get why people like that show but not what possesses them to be obsessed with it.

@Chespin; where do you live again?

Simpler times ahead
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Greece. It sucks to be here cause a lot of the shows I watched from the early 90s when I was 8-9 never went through to me, and I seriously need to watch them all again. Only thing is, I need to use unsavory means to do so.

And friends is friends, it just is. No reason to hate it, no reason to live it, its existence is a pure maelstrom of perfection.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, I'm gonna go now.

*flies away*

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bye Jack!

@Chespin; I use unsavory means for most of the non-American shows I watch (namely, British shows and anime), because I usually find that I prefer them in their original version. Even with British shows, where obviously the language is the same and such, they usually change stuff like music due to copyright and, in the case of Skins, edit out some of the sex and drug-use scenes. So I would rather watch them in their original version.

In the case of Downton Abbey they didn't change anything but because I was a super-fan at the time, I just HAD to know what was happening and couldn't wait for the episodes to come out in the U.S. Lol.

Simpler times ahead
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh oh, Downtown Abbey started airing a few weeks ago, and its amazing! And yeah, Top Gear usually gets aired here without the news segment or the cool wall, and I hate them for itr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chespin View Post
    Oh oh, Downtown Abbey started airing a few weeks ago, and its amazing! And yeah, Top Gear usually gets aired here without the news segment or the cool wall, and I hate them for itr.
    Like, the show itself started airing, or the latest season?

Because the first two seasons are great (don't listen to the season 2 detractors, they don't understand the difference between a show set during peacetime and during WWI). The third season...not so much, although that wasn't all the writers' fault.

Simpler times ahead
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The show itself. We're on season 2 I believe. Yeah its been great, the war stuff that is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

Ah Top Gear, great show. I watch it when the new ones are shown Mondays on BBC America. I know they had the Cool Wall in there several times, though I never really knew that's something they cut out though, but it never really bothered me if they do.

Also TopGear UK > Top Gear USA anytime.

I heard of Downtown Abbey but haven't watched it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Bates storyline in season 2 was kind of stupid, but other than that I thought all of the "zOMG MORE DRAMZZ!!!" that people bitched about on The A.V. Club and stuff was perfectly plausible for what was happening in England during WWI.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRoyal92 View Post
    I heard of Downtown Abbey but haven't watched it.
    It's Downton Abbey, no second w. Though I would totally watch the shit out of Downtown Abbey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

Ah my bad. I wasn't sure. Goes to show how much I know about the show. Hahaha.