The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4 - Page 1658

Page 1658 of 2755 FirstFirst ... 65811581558160816481656165716581659166016681708175821582658 ... LastLast
Results 24,856 to 24,870 of 41324
Like Tree10718Likes

Thread: The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4

I've never gotten trolled, even when I started out. I was always the troller. >=D
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

@Chespin; I'm the one who ONCE smoked pot with my parents. It's not a regular thing, you guys! It was one time at a New Year's Eve party when we were all really really drunk!

Anyway, with the bronies article, they were mostly agreeing with me because at the time I wrote it, I was a part of the fandom and I mostly focused on the more positive sides, since what I was talking about was femslash fanfic in it. I did have some negative comments but they were more particular about certain subsets of the fandom (like the ones who were dicks about male slash). And it was well-researched. The comments were mostly "wow, someone was nice to us for once!"

I don't know if I'd have the same observations right now, because the fandom has gotten much, much worse since I wrote that, or so I've heard - I've kind of lost interest in the show over the course of the third season. Here's the article, if you're interested.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

I would say it has gotten much worse. I sent you an example of just one person who is a brony, and I have more examples like that. Otherwise, OMFG the guy who did Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls is making 19 Mickey Mouse Shorts!
    http://chrisbattleart.tumblr.com/post/45208138801/cool-new-mickey-mouse-short-from-all-my-old

Blog Entries

The thing is, I've never really been that active in the brony fandom offline. I went to one meeting of the Boston Bronies when I first moved here and was desperate for friends, and I went to an MLP meetup at Otakon last summer. I've just never really been interested in meeting people IRL through that particular common interest, and in the past few months, my interest in the show in general has waned, so I haven't been hanging around the online communities I used to be active in as much.

So I don't really feel like I have that great of a handle on how the brony community "has changed" compared to someone who spends more time in the fandom. I got into it rather late and lost interest quickly. What I've heard is mostly that a lot of the intelligent, sane bronies lost interest, and the crazy, obnoxious ones got crazier and more obnoxious.

Part of the thing for me is, at the end of the day, it's a kids' show. There just isn't as much there to analyze and work with as there is for Mad Men or Fullmetal Alchemist or Skins or any of the other shows I've been obsessed with over the years that were for more of a teen or adult audience.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Yep, basically. The Bronies have went from a sane group of fans to well....the abyss. And as you said, eventually it just loses interest cause its a kid show, but not entirely. Pokemon is still a kid show and it has its moments, and a lot of stuff like Transformers or even TMNT offers something for the older fans.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I haven't really noticed the My Little Pony fandom getting worse. Basically what's happened is the exact thing I thought would happen: the novelty of it is wearing off and now it's just a typically eccentric cult fan-base. When the whole "Bronies" thing was getting started what basically happened, in my eyes, was that people were all like "HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS LIKE MY LITTLE PONIES?!?!" and the fans were all like "FUCK YEAH WE DO, LET'S SHOW YOU HOW MUCH WE WATCH MY LITTLE PONIES!!! 11! 1! 1". Now that that whole initial deal is out of the way, the fans have kinda lost their reason to be so outgoing into the public eye. The My Little Pony fan-base has always just been the usually unusual cult fan-base that we as a popular culture have already experienced, it's just the show that happened to get that fan-base this time around is traditionally a pansy show for prissy little girls and stuff, and so people reacted a bit more strongly.

Really, I've never been that rampant of a fan of the show, and I've been a fan for about a year and a half now. I like the show, and I think it's a pretty good show, but the main thing that drew people to it was the idea that the latest incarnation of this prissy little girl's show actually wasn't a prissy little girl's show and was pretty good in its own right. Time will tell if this whole "Bronies" thing has been influential or important to the future of cartoons and all that jazz, but right now I think the fans have settled down into their cult fan status nicely. There are idiots and trolls and pricks and all that, but there always have been, and I think maybe they're easier to notice now that the fans have settled down and become a little more chill. I don't really even like calling myself a Brony, I just say that I like the show.

It's a lot like the Star Trek fan-base, really.
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chespin View Post
    Yep, basically. The Bronies have went from a sane group of fans to well....the abyss. And as you said, eventually it just loses interest cause its a kid show, but not entirely. Pokemon is still a kid show and it has its moments, and a lot of stuff like Transformers or even TMNT offers something for the older fans.
    Well, see, I haven't really been interested in the Pokemon anime since I was the target age for it. Most of my continued interest in Pokemon has been in the games.

The only kids' shows that have really had continuing interest for me are ones where there's just a lot of nostalgia wrapped up in it for me, or where they do make more of an effort to appeal to adult fans, with subtle adult humor and references and stuff. Or both, in the case of stuff like Animaniacs, which remains my favorite Western cartoon ever.

@Jack Pschitt; I do think that MLP:FIM has been influential in terms of showing how a show for little girls can be done right without any really obvious attempts to woo adults in, like with the aforementioned adult humor or references that shows like Animaniacs had and was common in the '90s, or the trippy stuff which means you have cross-over appeal with college stoners and no one else. I think it's been a great testament to just how far good writing can go, and having people who actually care about making the show good as opposed to just wanting to line their pocketbooks with a cash-cow franchise. MLP:FIM succeeds as a show that parents can watch with their kids without wanting to blow their brains out, something that used to be incredibly common on TV but which became a rarity in the last decade or so. That's all it has to be, and I think it's helping to cause newer shows like it to rethink their approach. (For example, while I only saw a couple of episodes, I was pleasantly surprised at how watchable the new Littlest Pet Shop was, and I can't help but think - even besides the fact that there are a lot of the same people working on it - that this is due to MLP's influence.)

I linked to Todd VanDerWerff's review of it for The A.V. Club in my article, and I still think it's one of the best I've read of the show out there. And I find myself agreeing with it more and more lately.
    Last edited by Misato Katsuragi; 12th March 2013 at 07:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Spongebob back when it was funny had humor for all ages.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    Well, see, I haven't really been interested in the Pokemon anime since I was the target age for it. Most of my continued interest in Pokemon has been in the games.

The only kids' shows that have really had continuing interest for me are ones where there's just a lot of nostalgia wrapped up in it for me, or where they do make more of an effort to appeal to adult fans, with subtle adult humor and references and stuff. Or both, in the case of stuff like Animaniacs, which remains my favorite Western cartoon ever.
    Well yeah, Animaniacs is the best exception to the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Xita View Post
    Spongebob was legit awesome from 1999 to 2006, yep even after the movie. I swear though, it kills me when kids tell me they don't know what the hell the fun song is, or why I tell them that a cardboard box is the best thing ever.

Blog Entries

Yeah, but it hasn't been like that for a while.

Now it appeals to the aforementioned stoner types, or people who like it out of nostalgia, and just about nobody else who is above the age of 12 or so.

Blog Entries

Oh, that reminds me that My Little Pony as a show has changed its general tone over the years. I wouldn't say that it's regressing back into a prissy little girl's show, but it's not deviating away from the standard conventions of the typical kid's show as much as it did early on, I think the main things to point out in backing that up would be that the show has less cultural references and more continuity. There's nothing wrong with that, and season three definitely had good episodes in my opinion, but the earlier, more eclectic style is what I prefer in a sitcom, personally.

Hillenberg-era SpongeBob is god-tier SpongeBob. I'm glad I got to grow up on that shit.

Blog Entries

Spongebob was legit awesome from 1999 to 2006, yep even after the movie. I swear though, it kills me when kids tell me they don't know what the hell the fun song is, or why I tell them that a cardboard box is the best thing ever.
    That is so sad ;__;
    And agreed, after 2006, the decline started. I think I'd feel better if they just killed it off so I'm not suckered into watching a new episode to see if it has gotten any better.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Did no one see my post? Mickey Mouse, by the guy who did Dexter and PPG. Go watch it, its amazing. And yeah, Hillenberg Spongebob was the best. So much crap got passed the radar its not funny. Still does, but not like the old stuff. It actually was meant for Adult Swim.

Blog Entries

@Xita; The problem is it's just easier to be unoriginal on TV, whether it comes to something for kids or adults. People would rather go with something that they already know "works" (in terms of getting in viewers, not in terms of quality), even if it sucks, rather than take chances on new stuff.

Glee is a good example. That show has never been great, but in its first season, it was at least something new and original. Nobody had ever had a truly successful TV series musical. But it's long overstayed its welcome, and is basically becoming a parody of itself at this point. Yet, because it's still so popular, they won't ever get rid of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    I do think that MLP:FIM has been influential in terms of showing how a show for little girls can be done right without any really obvious attempts to woo adults in, like with the aforementioned adult humor or references that shows like Animaniacs had and was common in the '90s, or the trippy stuff which means you have cross-over appeal with college stoners and no one else. I think it's been a great testament to just how far good writing can go, and having people who actually care about making the show good as opposed to just wanting to line their pocketbooks with a cash-cow franchise. MLP:FIM succeeds as a show that parents can watch with their kids without wanting to blow their brains out, something that used to be incredibly common on TV but which became a rarity in the last decade or so. That's all it has to be, and I think it's helping to cause newer shows like it to rethink their approach. (For example, while I only saw a couple of episodes, I was pleasantly surprised at how watchable the new Littlest Pet Shop was, and I can't help but think - even besides the fact that there are a lot of the same people working on it - that this is due to MLP's influence.)
    I do think the show has been influential in the first part of this decade at least. Whether or not we look back on it that way like we do Rocky and Bullwinkle or The Simpsons or something like that will be answered by time and time alone.

I haven't seen any [I]Littlest Pet Shop[I], but I like the pretty colors.