The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4 - Page 1638

Page 1638 of 2755 FirstFirst ... 63811381538158816281636163716381639164016481688173821382638 ... LastLast
Results 24,556 to 24,570 of 41324
Like Tree10718Likes

Thread: The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 4

You're a writer? Awesome! I would never admit to having a fantasy world for one in my head just out of fear of undermining the real writers. But I do. Only thing is I never studied literature, and I just wouldn't feel right about writing a fantasy series that has no influence or subtext.
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Follow Fandango on Tumblr

Knocking on wood here, but I'm pretty far in writing a novel myself. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've scrapped a novel by now, but I really wanna stick with this one.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Chespin View Post
    You're a writer? Awesome! I would never admit to having a fantasy world for one in my head just out of fear of undermining the real writers. But I do. Only thing is I never studied literature, and I just wouldn't feel right about writing a fantasy series that has no influence or subtext.
    Yeah, although most of what I do these days is nonfiction. But I've always wanted to write a novel, so there you go.

This one is kind of a take on shows like Sailor Moon, Captain Planet, Power Rangers, etc. where you have a group of kids or teens with special powers with a special destiny to fulfill. I thought it would be interesting to explore something like that where they're older (my characters got their powers as older teens, but they're now in college) and they're not the sort of "average high school student who is nothing special" who'd normally accept something like this, they have their own, earthly dreams and goals they're not easily going to give up. The powers themselves are pretty derivative of other works, but that's kind of the point, so I'm not stressing too much over them. Though I feel like, maybe I should be?

One thing I noticed is my character whose power is fire (they're mostly elemental powers) is named for Saraswathi, a Hindu goddess of the arts and knowledge. Her name predates me using these characters in a fantasy story, but then I researched a bit more and found out Saraswathi is associated with water. Oops. But then, my character kind of has mixed feelings about having such purely destructive powers (compared to the other elements at play), so maybe it still fits. (The arts aspect also fits the character's mundane life - she's training to become an opera singer in music school.)

I might post some samples in the Writers' Workshop section. I don't really have anything particular for the actual novel written yet, but I did some sketches with the fire and water characters, just trying them out and playing with how to combine plot exposition and character establishing moments.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Registered User Typhlosionisafirebadger's Avatar

no game breakers but i got the platinum cartridge working

on my third badge, Monferno and luxio are my two lead beasts

Meditite aka Goku is in third and Choppa the Machop is PUMPING DAT IROOOOOOON

going to beast on Maylene soon too though, but SOulsilver will come to me as well

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I write when I feel like it. I have a kajillion ideas that go through my head and I write down their out-lines and a brief summary and stuff, but I've only really tried making something in full a few times so far. I'm gonna try imposing a mental dead-line on myself to get this short story of mine done because I'm a lazy, unfocused sack of shit, but I doubt I'll go through with it. We'll see.

On another note, my brother is a big fan of survival horror video games and he finally got me to play Slender for the first time. I think I got 5 out of 8 pages before I noticed the ambient music getting louder and accepted a dare to turn right around and see if Slenderman was there to prove my incredible gutsy macho masculinity. Guess what happened.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Wow that sounds pretty cool. I would never get into the research like you, I'd just use some arch types, fulfill some sort of plot spread evenly throughout a couple of books. As I said, I really want to, but I know that even if I have the power to build a world, and I did, but I sure as hell don't have the willpower to make something cohesive. It would feel like an insult to fantasy writers at best.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Blog Entries
    Add Greece on Google+

I really can't write at all, my mind just doesn't put enough detaits into anything so I can't write any thing

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Pschitt View Post
    On another note, my brother is a big fan of survival horror video games and he finally got me to play Slender for the first time. I think I got 5 out of 8 pages before I noticed the ambient music getting louder and accepted a dare to turn right around and see if Slenderman was there to prove my incredible gutsy macho masculinity. Guess what happened.
    I only got one note ;_;

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

I dont write. Im not very good at it and have very few ideas for stories, plus I dont like writing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chespin View Post
    Wow that sounds pretty cool. I would never get into the research like you, I'd just use some arch types, fulfill some sort of plot spread evenly throughout a couple of books. As I said, I really want to, but I know that even if I have the power to build a world, and I did, but I sure as hell don't have the willpower to make something cohesive. It would feel like an insult to fantasy writers at best.
    Well, part of me worries that I'm overplaying my deck and working with two many things, and should simplify.

A lot of the world-building I already did for a different story, though, and this one is a lot more interesting and will do a lot more with the various elements. (Basically, it's that these secret civilizations on other planets are at war - namely, there's a war between Jupiter and Saturn - and something about it means the people of Jupiter, who are ostensibly the "good guys," need Earthlings to win the war for them. And so they've been farming out talented Earthling teens and young adults by giving them special powers, training them by having them defeat supernatural enemies for a few years at home, and then spiriting them away to their planet by faking their deaths on Earth. And these teens are torn between sympathy for the Jupiterian cause and the fact that they're the only ones with the ability to fix it, and the fact that they have their own dreams and wishes and hopes and also that they care about people back home. There are still a lot of things I need to figure out, but that's the gist of it.)

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greece View Post
    I only got one note ;_;
    Aww, poor thing. 5 out of 8 is pretty good for a first attempt ever, if I do say so myself. xD I must say, I was keeping a neutral mind playing it, and the ways in which Slenderman would come out of the wood-work for me could get pretty well-timed and surprising.

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I'm writing a novel. it's basically all stream of conciousness writing, the first section, around 200 characters focuses on the main character's experience when he killed a man. The second when he was scared of thunder. I'm writing this from the perspective of a man seeing his life flash before his eyes.
    maglev is invisible

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maria View Post
    I'm writing a novel. it's basically all stream of conciousness writing, the first section, around 200 characters focuses on the main character's experience when he killed a man. The second when he was scared of thunder. I'm writing this from the perspective of a man seeing his life flash before his eyes.
    That sounds really trippy. Would read if recommended.

Blog Entries
    Add Greece on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Greece View Post
    I only got one note ;_;
    Aww, poor thing. 5 out of 8 is pretty good for a first attempt ever, if I do say so myself. xD I must say, I was keeping a neutral mind playing it, and the ways in which Slenderman would come out of the wood-work for me could get pretty well-timed and surprising.
    I ended up just freaking out when ever I saw him, I'm just way to easy to scare

Blog Entries

For some reason "the main character's experience when he killed a man" reminded me of "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash. You know, I shot a man in Reno / Just to watch him die.

And I actually saw a documentary a while ago about musicians in the Louisiana prison system. I was really surprised that they didn't use that song in some way in it.

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

That sounds really trippy. Would read if recommended.
    Haven't even done a page yet :P it's just a hobby :P

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    For some reason "the main character's experience when he killed a man" reminded me of "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash. You know, I shot a man in Reno / Just to watch him die.

And I actually saw a documentary a while ago about musicians in the Louisiana prison system. I was really surprised that they didn't use that song in some way in it.
    When I hear that whistle blowin', I hang my head and cry.

probably couldn't get the rights.
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.
    maglev is invisible