DISCUSSION: What do you think of the XY saga so far? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the XY saga so far?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What do you think of the XY saga so far?

The main anime has never struck me as anything special, I'll watch it on youtube if I'm having lunch and am out of anime ideas. I do prefer Pokemon Origins and the Mega Evolution anime far better. So now for this season.

It is okish, I don't like TR's new design as their eyes are really freaking creepy. And to be honest it just seems... boring, it's all the same. You know TR will get their butts kicked and it will take a entire damn episode to do so and I am fed up of these episodes, even as a kid all I wanted was to watch the gym battles! And even then Ash sucks! He gives no reason as to why he sucks but he just does. He is a good trainer but should be far better by now after all that experience! I'm not a fan of his design and he looks weird.
    So really nothing has improved...

So as for the characters, I thought Bonnie would be annoying but she's alright. Clemont is ok and Serena is... eh? I like her, but probably because she seems quite like Dawn... and I like Dawn :/

But I like professor Sycamore! And a lot of the animation is great!

FC: 4725-8143-3936 IGN: Serenade
    Claims: Mega Gyarados, Noble Roar, Stance Change, King's Rock, Reshiram Doll

Weird, imo XY Ash looks the most handsome.

I think X&Y is very good so far. I love how it's breaking down some of the Pokemon anime traditions like how Ash doesn't catch the Grass-starter, using his basic Flying-type in a Gym Battle before it's evolution, how he doesn't catch the recurring pokemon that stalks the group, and how he seems like his DP self where he strategizes and shows progression.

I also love the gender-equal group. Ash and Clemont seem very close for two boys around the same age and how Serena and Bonnie are like sisters and how the former cares for the latter. I think Clemont and Bonnie's sibling bond is so strong and cute. I also want to see Ash and Bonnie interact.

The characters: I really like how they're quite different. Serena might be a May/Dawn-expy with her girliness but it helps contrast the tomboy-vibe that Bonnie gives. It's not a bad thing that a girl is feminine. I do like how they made Serena have a canonical crush on Ash and it's quite a good sub-plot since they don't shove it up our face for every episode. For Bonnie, I like how she's quite the opposite of Max where she's energetic and respectful to Ash and her brother. Her interactions with the human characters are just adorable and makes my heart flutter with the cuteness. For Clemont, I do like how he's quite different from Brock, Tracey and Cilan where he's a male companion who isn't taller than Ash thus Ash doesn't treat him like a big brother-like friend but as a male friend and equal. I also love his invention gags even if they don't work most of the time. I think it's quite creative since it relates to the situation for the episode and how it often saves the day.

I just like how it's a pokemon anime but has a different vibe to it. I also love the Mega Evolution specials and I hope at least all of them would get a pokemon that can Mega-evolve or at least get a mega-ring/keystone by the end. It's promising for sure.

Personally I think XY is the weakest installment so far. Apologies to anyone who likes the anime and its characters, this is my opinion and you are entitled to yours a lesson we all remember from Pokemon black and white.

Ash: Not only is he still boring for reasons BlazeKicker described earlier (only having 3 or so expressions and tones of voice) but he's an even more pathetic excuse for a trainer and a protagonist in general. He lost to Viola, he loses to many random characters of the day like that ninja kid and the daycare lady with the Sylveon, he gets outdone by wild pokemon like that Spewpa in the Vivillion Episode, he gets his ass handed to him in less than 30 seconds by Diantha (more excusable because she's a champion but still bad) and Korrina, In 35 episodes he only has 4 pokemon (none are evolved) and only one of them he actually caught in the traditional sense (which also happens to be the weakest pokemon he currently has), has a hard time beating team rocket after they took a level in stupidity from BW and its painfully obvious his first try win against Grant was because they took 2 episodes to give Ash a clear view of how Grant battles since Ash can't adapt to battles apparently and to explain why Grant's team was nerfed from the games they might as well be holding his hand through his journey and had to be saved in the Malamar episode by poorly disguised deus ex machina instead of bailing out of the problem himself.

Clemont: Probably the member in the main cast who least annoys me but still does. I love how people praised how fresh he was with the whole invention shtick forgetting that they said the same thing about Cilan with whatever he does and getting sick of it in a dozen episodes or so. I will admit though he is a bit more original compared to Cilan personality wise but his battling skills don't really impress me and is pretty boring at this point. He better pick up the slack when it comes to gym battle time.

Bonnie: When you make an expy of someone it is generally a good idea not to make it of a person who was very disliked by the general audience. Why oh why did they make her an expy of Max? Don't they learn anything? Max was the most useless character to travel with Ash and co ever, though now he faces some serious competition. Liking cute things and being hyper isn't enough to make a character.

Serena: Whoo boy this is where I am really pissed off. First off there is next to no development for her you could drop in the series at anytime and believe that Serena is fresh to the cast believing that is the cause for her blandness. Second there is so much teasing she's gonna do something with her existence and I don't know catch a pokemon like a trainer is supposed to? Like that time with the Corsola at Ambrette town or Spritzee in the Swirlix episode (if you only go by pictures). Thirdly it is common and reasonable tradition that if a character gets a spotlight episode and TR shows up with their BS that the focused character usually gets the honor of smacking them with the blast off stick but Serena has at least two of those episodes and she does nothing often having to rely on Ash or Clemont to do it, hell she can't even beat Meowth by herself. Oh the pokevision and to a lesser extent the rhyhorn race episode pretty confirms that her only purpose is fanservice. I'm okay with fanservice but I'd like a bit cake to go with the frosting if you catch my meaning. It's also all but said outright that Serena is traveling with Ash because she's got the hots for him. In conclusion I'd have to say Serena is probably the worst "main" female character in the show and kinda sexist (bland, only here for fanservice, fulfilling a quota, needs men to defend her, little to no goals other than traveling with a guy she likes), I'm not saying I dislike feminine women, I dislike useless and boring characters.

Team Rocket: Back to the same BS they were in DP before BW made them change into more competent antagonists. This is getting old real fast.

Mega evolution special needs to continue at least they have a main character who can win battles against random people and it has spectacular battles like the pokemon anime should have.
    3DS Name: Kyle
    Pokemon X Friend Code: 4828-5602-4809
    Friend Safari Pokemon: Flying type: Pidgey, Woobat, Tropius

Blog Entries

I wish XY would give Ash a serious rival. Kind of miss that from DP.
    A true friend freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, takes all patiently, defends courageously, and continues a friend unchangeably.
    -William Penn

Reader and Writer Legacy's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I'm just glad they have a male travel companion who doesn't have a completely obscure and weird occupation/skill. Cilan the "Pokemon Connoisseur?" WTF?

I like XY so far actually in terms of character dynamic. Ash will always be bland, it's a kid's show.

Coming Soon...

Blog Entries

Currently, XY is nothing special, it's merely okay.

- Ash gets too much focus.
    - Serena gets little to no focus.
    - Clemont and Bonnie, easily the best characters, deserve more focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaen Hosha View Post
    I wish XY would give Ash a serious rival. Kind of miss that from DP.
    This. Paul should have been the start of Pokemon anime, not Ash ^_

I'd never watch a series if a character like Paul was the protagonist. If anything, if he and the guy after him were any indication, if the writers aren't going to be able to write a decent rivalry (where both sides are equals but on opposite extremes that empower their "strength" or where the protagonist is pursing their target to one day fight them as an equal) then I agree, they shouldn't bother.

Right, ended up coming here spontaneously so I may as well make my piece:

Now that the fresh paint cleared I'm gonna say XY is a good series in its own right. Though reason it came out so hype was because many of us were still fresh with wounds from Best Wishes Season 2/Da! Ultimately, Ash is everything he should be after his tenure in AG and DP.
    People gonna go on about his loses but most of them were justified. Viola hit him with a damn good strategy and combo that he was not prepared for and Sanpei was using a far more skilled and evolved monster. He was still a cool guy who helped Ash and Froakie when asked. Far cooler guy than that jackass Samurai.

Clemont and Bonnie are awesome. Never get tired of seeing them. Bonnie centric episodes are as fun as they are cavity gaining. And her Dedenne, I love the little guy. I actually like the little guy, his "ne, ne" at the end of her speeches really add to things.

Hell the series itself is just tightly written and that's a good thing.

However, after the luster wore off, the show despite its many strengths just isn't as fun the Hoenn portion of AG or Best Wishes Season 1 (despite its problems) and I wasn't as willing to tune as soon as I could like with those series. Another problem is the TRio. Best Wishes proved we DO NOT need these guys and this gets taken home here.
    So many episodes were so tightly written on their own and then they shoehorn those three pests who stale the XY waters with every appearance ruining the episode. Any episode where they take full presence? No thanks.

Another problem I'm having is with Serena. Her motivations for her journey? Fine, whatever. She's a fine and dandy character I suppose but, it's just the fact she and her prissy fox have done little on their own (as a team) since their appearance however...
    3DS FC: 2466 - 3213 - 3790
    Friend Safari: Fairy: Kirlia, Spritzee, Floette

Blog Entries

There are exactly 2 reasons to watch the show.

Chespin and serenaxash

Everything else is mediocre, annoying, ridiculous, or mind numbingly dull and vapid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopa View Post
    There are exactly 2 reasons to watch the show.

Chespin and serenaxash

Everything else is mediocre, annoying, ridiculous, or mind numbingly dull and vapid.
    Doesn't that describe the anime in general since the very first episode? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Johtohfiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish_Chef View Post
    And since when the hell was "Dodge It!" a move?
    Since Johtoh.

I'm loving XY for the most part, but I do think they're spamming Pikachu too much. Hopefully the upcoming Hawlucha capture and Fletchling evolution will help fix that.
    Thinking about this some more, I've zeroed in on my main complaint about XY: we haven't been seeing enough of the cast's Pokemon, either in or out of battle. Prior to Hawlucha's capture, there were 7 Pokemon among the cast members, but aside from Pikachu and to a lesser extent Dedenne none of them have been getting enough screen time. DP did lots of non-battle scenes with the cast's Pokemon, and that's one of the things that made that series so good. A lot of people didn't like Piplup, but I thought having him out all the time was a plus and helped with Dawn's characterization. Clemont and Serena could benefit a lot by doing the same IMO. I've seen a lot of complaints about Serena being boring (I'm in the middle on that - I like her as a character but I want to see her get more story focus), but would that still be the case if she kept her Fennekin out? Its a lot easier to show trainers' interactions with Pokemon when the Pokemon are, you know, onscreen. Off the top of my head, the bamboo forest episode, the fat Chespin episode, the Pokevision episode, and the sky battling episode have all included scenes of everyone's Pokemon doing things other than fighting. And those were all well-done scenes, we just need more of them.

Hopefully this is changing; the last few episodes haven't been all Pikaspam all the time and that looks to be true for the next ep too.

It's boring, but I'm following this show because I want to see Team Flare's appearance.

I'm loving how the writers constantly shaft Serena and continue to crush the hopes of her fans. I hope it stays like until she leaves the show.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

I admit the show is getting a bit dull at this point and I'm only watching it because of Hawlucha.

When is the next Mega Evolution special airing? I want to know what Alan's up to and see what he has to do with Lysandre - the details.

I honestly don't have much of an opinion. It's tough to be objective since I really enjoyed the anime from the beginning up until season nine. I wouldn't say the series declined in the D/P days - I never watched it in full. The segments I did see, however, led me to feel that as a whole the franchise was getting old and almost nothing could rejuvenate the series for an older viewer like myself. AG had the distinct advantage (in the long term) of introducing fresh characters, fleshing out their personalities, and developing Ash as a trainer. As others have opined, I hate that Ash's character development has vanished and his established age is left at 10.

In spite of these flaws, X/Y does possess its share of refreshing moments. Although it's undeniable Serena is bland, I do enjoy her cute interactions with Ash - perhaps a girl having a canonical crush on him was the kind of "radical" departure the show needed to keep my interest. The series would definitely get a thumbs up from me if they do three things: Focus on Ash less, focus on Serena's growth more, and try to respect continuity to some degree. Clemont and Bonnie are okay as well - I like how it parallels the AG somewhat by having traveling siblings. Their interactions are entertaining and also help keep things mildly interesting when I'm tuning into the show.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast