DISCUSSION: Was Trip/Shooti A Good Rival? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Was Trip A Good Rival??

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he was handled well.

0 0%
  • No, he could of been handled much better.

59 100.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Was Trip/Shooti A Good Rival?

Default Re: Was Trip/Shooti A Good Rival?

No he wasn't a good rival at all. It hurt him coming off a good rival like Paul and the writers, just like every one in BW, handled him horribly.

Blog Entries

It's such a shame with Trip. In the beginning he started off great and had potential. But as the series went on, he grew more and more disappointing. I just recently watched the episode where him and Ash had their 5 on 5 battle. Why couldn't the writers give them more battles like that, especially in the Unova League.
    A true friend freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, takes all patiently, defends courageously, and continues a friend unchangeably.
    -William Penn

I think Trip was as good as he was for the show at the time. I don't know if the writers were planning him properly but as the one above me said, I liked him in the beginning also. I liked most of his pokemon(the ones not related to Ash what so ever), and I liked his voice. Or his voice actor to say the least. But after the middle is where not only his interactions with Ash seemed none existent but his role on the show degressed as the show went on. As the show went on, he was shown less and received very little development as far as him being the main rival. I liked him but it seemed like he was ignored and they had tried to make all of that up at once with one pokemon(Serperior). That's not the way to handle any character. So hopefully they won't do that again. But to answer the question, no. I liked him as a character but I didn't like him as Ash's rival.

I just want to mention that Trip was a pretty cool character IMHO. He wasn't that much of a douche, and he had some pretty neat pokemon. I enjoyed his existence in the show, but enjoying him as a character alone and enjoying him as a rival are two different things.

That being said, I have to agree with everyone else that he was a poorly written rival (although he's not the only BW rival I feel was written poorly. In fact, I think they all were). In the beginning, it looked like the writers were once again pulling the same tired old underdog story with Ash and his rival, where Ash loses to his rival multiple times and only gets to defeat them once: in the pokemon league. The bad part about this was that both Ash and his Pikachu had to be made dumber/weaker in order to lose to a beginning trainer like Trip. You don't write a rival by downgrading the main character's skills. It just makes the rivalry infuriating to watch.

I think the 5vs5 battle was when this was a problem. I understand that battle was supposed to show the difference in physical strength between Snivy and the weaker pokemon such as Oshawott, Pidove and Tepig, but that could have easily been done without shoving Trip into the episode. Especially since Trip really had no place winning against Ash's Pikachu with his Servine. How exactly is Trip's constant remark of "lol ur pokemons are week except snivy and pikachu. & u don't kno the basics hurr" supposed to explain how Trip defeated an obviously stronger, more experienced pokemon with his Servine when he only owned it for a short period of time? Also how is this battle supposed to teach Ash any kind of lesson or help improve his skills in any possible way? It's not going to. It's pointless. Ash already knows how to raise pokemon.

Next Ash gets pissy at him for protecting Castelia City against a Venipede infestation. Uh what? Battling a pokemon with another pokemon as a method of defence is suddenly a bad thing to do? I guess if that's true, someone should get in Ash's face whenever he uses Thunderbolt on TR's Meowth. The only thing these Trip appearances do is make Ash look dumb and whiny. Also, Trip isn't even into this "rivalry" and has to be bothered to battle Ash or acknowledge his existence. Next he basically get's interrupted by Ash while trying to catch a pokemon and Ash asks him for another battle which they tie in. Okay that's nice. Boring battle IMO. Nothing accomplished except Trip being used as a plot device to find the reason why Oshawott can't hit the side of a barn with Aqua Jet. Not a bad episode or battle but it doesn't make the rivalry look any better.

Next, several episodes pass and in them Trip only makes three appearances. One in the Club Battle Tournament, where is Gurdurr loses in Round 1 to Cilan's Dwebble. So the writers have even given up making Trip look good. After a while comes back for half an episode in which the champion he once looked up to, pisses him off for whatever reason. His next appearance is in the Clubexplosion where his Conkeldurr loses against a much weaker Emboar in a terrible move that should have gotten Bianca disqualified. So not only did the writers stop making Trip look good, they stopped giving him frequent appearances, and when he does appear, nothing of consequence even happens.

But wait, in BW2 he returns with a Serperior and defeats three fire type pokemon and Cilan's Crustle in one hit. I guess the writers realized that it was getting near the time for the pokemon league to start and they had to make at least one of Trip's pokemon look decent. So he gets four ridiculous victories and then gets wrecked by Alder and his Bouffalant. Predictable tbh. Trip asks Alder what he's been doing wrong. Alder tells Trip that he isn't doing anything wrong, and also says something about Trip's established bond of trust with Serperior being more important than winning every battle. This seems to put Trip in a good mood, and it looks like he finally gets some character development.

But that soon goes to waste in the pokemon league where it looks like Trip actually became weaker. He uses Serperior and loses in the preliminaries to Ash and his Pikachu. So his Serperior was able to a tournament full of type disadvantages but it can't get past the preliminaries in the pokemon league. Everything Alder taught him basically looks like trash now, because he lost against a character who only goes on and on about winning the pokemon league.

tl;dr: No I thought the Ash/Trip rivalry was a train wreck and am having a hard time finding a reason to even call it a rivalry.

Blog Entries

Trip isn't good as a rival but he could been good. I'm kinda sad we didn't get Cheren as a rival but it is what it is. His "antisocial douchebag who beats Ash over and over" felt like a retread since he came right after Paul, and his skills were really unrealistic for a rookie. I wish the writers did more with his love of photography. It could have shown his progress over the series (although that'd be weird, since his threat level fluctuates so oddly). His random xenophobia disappears pretty randomly, so I guess that's... something.

Quote Originally Posted by The Network View Post
    His next appearance is in the Clubexplosion where his Conkeldurr loses against a much weaker Emboar in a terrible move that should have gotten Bianca disqualified. So not only did the writers stop making Trip look good, they stopped giving him frequent appearances, and when he does appear, nothing of consequence even happens.
    I think you're giving Trip a little too much credit here. You're referring to how Emboar grabbed Conkeldurr's pillars and threw it back at Conkeldurr, right? Emboar was using the move Fling, so it's... kind of legal? Plus, if a Pokémon comes in using special instruments in battle (like Conkeldurr's pillars) isn't it reasonable that it's fair game for the opponent to mess with it? Also, I thought it was kind of creative, actually... it's really satisfying to see a fighter use their opponent's techniques or instruments against them. Also, Emboar was stated to be strong from the beginning, as Bianca won her first two badges using Tepig/Pignite alone. Which is pretty impressive since Ash lost to both Lenora and Cress.
    Last edited by Ambipom666; 26th April 2014 at 09:23 PM.

3DS name: DuckNasch, Friend Code: 1177-7926-0353, Friend Safari: Doduo, Hoothoot, Fletchinder

Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here's a Marty Stu moment that I never see people bring up ever. In the Venipede episode Trip is leading a group of trainer fending off the Venipede. Okay trainers are forced to work together, and they recognize Trip, a stranger, as their leader cause he looks like a main character.
    Nyanners is love. Nyanners is life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambipom666 View Post
    I think you're giving Trip a little too much credit here. You're referring to how Emboar grabbed Conkeldurr's pillars and threw it back at Conkeldurr, right? Emboar was using the move Fling, so it's... kind of legal? Plus, if a Pokémon comes in using special instruments in battle (like Conkeldurr's pillars) isn't it reasonable that it's fair game for the opponent to mess with it? Also, I thought it was kind of creative, actually... it's really satisfying to see a fighter use their opponent's techniques or instruments against them.
    I was not giving him too much credit actually. I was also referring to Emboar grabbing Stone Edge and using Fling to throw the rocks back. That's not how Fling is supposed to be used. Fling is supposed to be used with the pokemon's own special instruments, not it's opponents'. Also I wouldn't consider the pillars special instruments considering every Conkeldurr uses them. They're not items that make it more useful in battle.

Also, Emboar was stated to be strong from the beginning, as Bianca won her first two badges using Tepig/Pignite alone. Which is pretty impressive since Ash lost to both Lenora and Cress.
    Yet Ash and Elesa obliterated the pig in their battles.

I still think Trip should have been able to win and stay in that tournament longer since that was one of the wasted opportunities for character development.

Returning to Hoenn LavenderTownGhost's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I didn't see much of BW, but I did not like Trip at all. Everything about him has been done before. They could've definitely been more creative with him.
    "Halloween is every day!" -Sharon Needles

Banner made by Instrutilus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Network View Post

I was not giving him too much credit actually. I was also referring to Emboar grabbing Stone Edge and using Fling to throw the rocks back. That's not how Fling is supposed to be used. Fling is supposed to be used with the pokemon's own special instruments, not it's opponents'. Also I wouldn't consider the pillars special instruments considering every Conkeldurr uses them. They're not items that make it more useful in battle.

Also, Emboar was stated to be strong from the beginning, as Bianca won her first two badges using Tepig/Pignite alone. Which is pretty impressive since Ash lost to both Lenora and Cress.
    Yet Ash and Elesa obliterated the pig in their battles.

I still think Trip should have been able to win and stay in that tournament longer since that was one of the wasted opportunities for character development.
    I guess we just see differently on this one, I don't see what's wrong with using an opponent's attack against them, even if it's not through an actual move. I think that's perfectly fine artistic licence on the anime's part. Also, even though every Conkeldurr carries around pillars, the pillars aren't an inherent part of them and are by no means necessary to function, and it does serve a use in battle by blocking attacks (which is what Trip's Conkledurr did) so I think it's absolutely fair game for an opponent to use something like that against the user. Also, Trip has more than enough wins in the series (something Bianca is relatively lacking in) so I didn't mind this outcome.

3DS name: DuckNasch, Friend Code: 1177-7926-0353, Friend Safari: Doduo, Hoothoot, Fletchinder

He wasn't terrible but I wouldn't exactly classify him as good either. Coming off of the epicness of Paul also did not help him at all as his rivalry with Ash was constantly compared to Paul's.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123