DISCUSSION: Was Trip/Shooti A Good Rival?

View Poll Results: Was Trip A Good Rival??

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he was handled well.

1 1.59%
  • No, he could of been handled much better.

62 98.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Was Trip/Shooti A Good Rival?

Call me Robert guys 1rkhachatryan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow 1rkhachatryan On Twitter Add 1rkhachatryan on Facebook Add 1rkhachatryan on Google+
    Visit 1rkhachatryan's Youtube Channel

Default Was Trip/Shooti A Good Rival?

So how do you guys feel about Trip and the way he was handled??

Personally I don't feel like he was handled well at all.

*He was largely ignored for most of the saga
    *His Pokemon were ignored for the most part as well, in fact, only Serperior really got any sort of attention. Conkeldurr might have appeared in all three stages as well but he was defeated every time and showed no distinct personality
    *His whole goal wasn't really developed well and his past with Alder was rushed for the most part

What do you guys think, was Trip a good rival or was he largely left untapped??

Default Re: Was Trip/Shooti A Good Rival?

No, he wasn't a good rival. He was just a carbon copy of Paul.

Blog Entries

He was okay nothing great but nothing too bad. Personally he only seemed worse because of how the writers treated him and how shallow the fandom was towards him. But unlike what haters love to say he was not a Paul clone. -_-

Best Wishes to BW!

Blog Entries
    Follow Muur On Twitter
    Follow Muur on Tumblr Visit Muur's Youtube Channel

I thought his character was good but he didn't do enough really and only one guy towards the end of his saga really made hin underwhelming.

He wasn't handled well at all, it was awful... He's already a bland character, but the way he barely interacted with Satoshi and that stupid 1 on 1 finale to their rivalry made everything even worse. It's even worse when I remember how awesome Shinji was... And no, I don't think he was like Shinji at all.

He had great potential, but the writers simply didn't give him the attention he needed to become a noteworthy rival. I had high hopes for Trip, but sadly, he didn't meet my expectations.

He's nothing but boring, racist (the way he calls the Kanto people names and stereotypes them as hillbillies), and he's off in his own world, and anti-social (he talks to himself instead of talking to others and not making new friends). Why does he need a camera? Can't they explain why he's illustrating his journey? Is he doing it make himself feel better (stress related)? Is it a project for school? Why?

Or is he an autistic?
    Last edited by Grabbergirl; 29th April 2014 at 09:30 AM.

They could have made Trip into a much better character and rival. Instead, they made Trip into this completely broken trainer. He's only starting out, but he's battling as if he had been training Pokemon for years. They might as well have him be some battle prodigy (At least that would explain his brokenness). His attitude was also completely arrogant.
    "The strongest Pokémon... Is this... the fulfillment of my dream?" --Dr. Fuji
    Brock: And I decided I want you to be my partner!
    Girl: What?!

Add AwesomeRalph on Facebook

No. He was too boastful and at first I thought he was stronger than Ash, but after the episodes, he was just a rival of Ash's that didn't give enough action.

Join the toad side! Emperor Palpitoad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In the start he seemed good. He had a strong pokemon, he could make great use of his pokemons moves and abilities and he had three revealed pokemon as of BW10. I have no problems with his Snivy defeating Pikachu when it only was able to use two out of four moves and Ash did not know about Leaf Tornado. And he had an interesting backstory with Alder. He was a promising rival in my opinion.
    But then it all changed. He became a punching bag in Club Battle and Clubsplosion and the only pokemon he had that got more than one real appearance was Conkeldurr and Serperior(no, Tranquill throwing away Venipedes from Castelia does not count as a real appearance). He had six pokemon and 2 were used. Awful. Ashs main rival was a underused punching bag. Ashs Palpitoad was handled better. And then out of nowhere the writers want to get him to shine again(and finish his Alder plot in a terrible way). So they make him own the shit out of everyone in the worst tournament in the whole anime before losing to the champion and finishing his Alder plot. Worse than bad. The only good thing was that Serperior was proofed to be strong. But we had not seen that thing since like 60 episodes earlier so, it was still bad handled.
    Then comes the league where Ashs rivalry with Trip is finished in a One on One battle and Trip loses in the first round of the league!
    In short, he sucked.
    JOIN THE TOAD SIDE
    AND MAY THE BLUE FORCE BE WITH YOU
    AND I AM NOT YOUR FATHER!

I agree that he did fall short. He should have become more of a challenge to Ash. I don't consider him to be a carbon-copy of Paul (is it the shoulder-length hair lol?). Paul, in my opinion, was the ultimate rival for Ash thus far. It was kind of hard to follow up after Paul. Paul was the complete opposite of Ash in many ways and that just created a nice and interesting contrast. Paul was also skilled, no doubt about it. He presented a challenge.

Night Owl G50's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

When Trip first started out, he was portrayed as someone who was starting their journey but also understood a lot about Pokemon prior to his journey. It seemed that he was very knowledgeable on how battles work, abilities, types, etc. and was able to start off using that knowledge to battle strong to start with. Due to that, I think he was okay as a pretty strong rival in the beginning.

Unfortunately, there wasn't enough of a rivalry as the series went on I felt. Ash and Trip didn't battle each other very much except for a few side battles to strengthen the current rivalry. In the tournaments, they didn't face each other until the final tournament. Due to the lack of battles against each other, I feel that their head-to-head strength comparisons and contrasts is difficult to determine.

I did like how his past was shown, and his thoughts about Alder. That allowed more interaction between Ash and Trip, and showed Trip's determination in the tournament to face Alder and battle Ash hard to get there in their rivalry battle. It allowed them to show how much they grew with each of their strongest Unova Pokemon up to that point.

The league rivalry battle was between both of their first Pokemon, I felt the rivalry battle would've shown more of their growth if they had a 3-on-3 or 6-on-6 battle later in the league instead with Pokemon they both used in previous rivalry battles.

Overall, I feel that Trip as a rival had some good points, but also some bad points and could have used some improvement in those areas.

Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There was no rivalry. He beat Ash's main pokemon with a untrained starter. His xenophobia wasn't explained. He was kinda boring and he rarely did a non 1 on 1 battle? Other than his team he was completely dis likable
    Nyanners is love. Nyanners is life.

He genuinely started off well and I thought he was going to be great, but in the end he was just kinda crap and unmemorable. Personally, I was screaming for a Boldore/ Gurdurr trade-to-evolve story between him and Ash but it never happened and he just mysteriously turned up with a Conkeldurr, bit of a cop out.

His battle at the league was pathetic as well.

Well, I didn't have a problem with him really! He wasn't the best rival out there, but he wasn't that bad either, in my opinion.
    But I do have to admit he could have been written better and his league battle with Ash was definitely BS!
    Follow me (PJ) on Twitter: @ThePokemonJesus

Ash and his buddies have been entertaining me since 1998
    ALRIGHTY! Until next time...PEACE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast