DISCUSSION: James as a villain

Thread: James as a villain

Post Thanks / Like

Default James as a villain

What do you think about of James as a villain? He's a spoiled little rich kid that runs away from home when he gets engaged. Though part of Team Rocket he's been portrayed to be out right nice to the twerps sometimes. Most of his Pokemon he catches come to him by being fed.

Do you think he makes a decent villain? Do you thin he should be handled differently?

Discuss!
    I'm a James fan! I love shipping and the Pokemon anime

_________________________ Mega Diancie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: James as a villain

He's definitely a bad villain at this point in time IMO because it's difficult to even take TRio seriously any more, and I don't even consider him to be a good character any more because I haven't seen him acting like his former self from OS, AG and DP. From what I've seen, James Jessie and Meowth are just boring villains who still blast off for whatever reason.

I thought James was great in earlier seasons but as a comedy relief character, not as a villain. TRio have always been crappy villains.

Returning to Hoenn LavenderTownGhost's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

He's a villain?

Okay but honestly, I just don't see him as a villain. Like the above poster said, he's more of an adorable comic relief.
    "Halloween is every day!" -Sharon Needles

Banner made by Instrutilus

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

If you're spending time worrying about whether or not Kojirou is a good "villain" then you've obviously completely missed the point of both his character and the rest of the Rocket trio in general.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on July 19th, 2014

Post Thanks / Like

the TR Trio do make better comic relief more than villain and became less scary as the show goes on. However their Characters are still interesting, found a youtube video about why the Trio desires to get Pikachu that explains it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyPucNxbAyw

Hoenn...been a long time. Kaen Hosha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

MAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A true friend freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, takes all patiently, defends courageously, and continues a friend unchangeably.
    -William Penn

Post Thanks / Like

Even if the "rich kid running away from home and marriage" part of his backstory is interesting on paper it is so rarely brought into light I can hardly consider it part of his character. In the 700+ episode run of the show it was important in, like, less than 10 episodes. Is it ridiculously easy to forget the character even has a backstory at all under such circumstances, this detail fell into obscurity a long time ago because James, or better, the TRio in general are just a walking running gag and a plot device and all their appearances have long drowned such details in the minds of most people. Nowadays it is just a painful reminder the character used to have more depth.
    As far as recent characterization goes he is just the nicest of the trio, and that's it. For all effects I don't even consider them villains anymore, just plot devices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrainerRyan View Post
    the TR Trio do make better comic relief more than villain and became less scary as the show goes on. However their Characters are still interesting, found a youtube video about why the Trio desires to get Pikachu that explains it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyPucNxbAyw
    ... Since when has this guy even been scary? I don't think that was ever really a quality of his.
    3DS Friend Code: 3136-7234-1327 IGN: Black

It was just a normal day on May 7th, 2014... then everything changed.

Post Thanks / Like

As somewhat of a foil to Jessie, I think he's a villain that serves his purpose. Is he a trivial villain? Yes, of course, but so are Jessie and Meowth. Having Team Rocket members in nearly every episode that are actually successful and good at what they do would be overkill, so I think it makes sense that they're mostly there for comic relief. I would really like to have an episode (or two!) that have them on a more detailed mission, like maybe teaming up with some legitimate villain.

James may not be a good villain, but I think that's kind of the point. It's not like Jessie and Meowth are, either; they're all collectively not very effective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Follow Muur On Twitter
    Follow Muur on Tumblr Visit Muur's Youtube Channel

He can be when serious but I don't think he's that good as a Villain really, he's a good character. If he was a villain on his own, he'd tank (meaning be terrible). I think he'd work better as a comedic good guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

James is a villian?

Honestly though, of the Team Rocket Trio, James is probably the least threatening or evil of them. He's just too nice. Even in XY, he's still just the whiny man-child he's been all these years. Just a little less since he doesn't show up enough or long enough to get upset about something stupid. And while I prefer the serious Team Rocket, I do miss some of James' flamboyant tendencies he had when they were just comic relief and his random rage sessions when he'd get ripped off or he was just having bad luck or something. He was a flaming Moltres.

It's really hard to consider James as an individual and as a villain, no less. But I guess the best "villain" James is BW-XY era when Giovanni started making them get sh*t done. Is he handled well as a villain throughout the series? Well...not really. But, for a Pokemon villain...he's...not a very good villain.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't really call Jessie, James, and Meowth "villains" like I would their boss. They're the main antagonists of the show, sure, but I think they're actually likable characters, and that's what makes them appealing. They're like other villain's sidekicks in cartoons where they're too likable to want to hate them, and you think that if they just weren't in with the wrong sort of crowd that they would actually be decent Pokémon trainers.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

To be honest i do not think James has right predispositions to make for a good villain material.

His personaity, moral values and beliefs would simply clash with this type of ideology, often being portrayed as most sensible, caring and with consciousness member of Team Rocket. We can notice that in several situations such as not wanting to attack Misty when Jessie ordered it after sharing with him Salveyo weed to heal Jessie feeling bad of doing this to someone who helped him.
    Turning against Jessie and Meowth being on Ash side when they tried to rob Pokemon in old Mansion run by older couple where he used to reside at kid, feeling ashamed of being part of Team Rocket not wanting that they find out how he is TR member too finding it would break their heart. Showing lot of care toward his pokemon like Chimecho realizing how traveling with him wont provide him care and treatment it needs to recover. Releasing his Cacnea with crushed heart knowing how it deserves better life and way to expolore its potential with gym leader Gardenia. Etc, etc.

Quite often James was member of Ricket trio who showed most remorse and guilt hesitating to attack Ash and his friends revealing he is just insecure and indecisive person who isn't sure himelf where he truly belongs and what he wants from his life.

He grew up in shamelessly rich family where he had to live under strict rules, enforced education and various activities as child of millionaires not having much time for himself and his own desires. His daily routine was filled with teachings from tutors how he should eat, behave, constantly learn and never been allowed to have any fun and ways to express his own creativity in doing things which he would like. Accompanied with imposed obligation to marriage girl he didn't loved(Jessibelle) resulting in running away from home and getting lost without anyone as person. Until he met Jessie and Mewoth ending in TR organization.

Not because James is bad person or someone who has malicious tendencies to make other people life miserable, spread havoc and pain around. But because he don't know where he truly belongs and what he would like from his life being identified so much with current organization even if he is aware of being on bad side of spectrum, to find strength to break free from accustomed routine in which his life has turned into and develop his own desires and dreams.

Not to mention his submissive, indecisive personality dont gives him enough strength to fight for himself and be more assertive person which has courage and faith in his own qualities, resulting in others taking advantage of him.

So no i definitely don't believe James would be good villain clashing with his characterization, feelings and beliefs.

In general Jessie, James and Meowth aren't type of persons who are designed to be cruel, callous, corrupted to the bone and with no respct for anyone life.
    They have from very start been portrayed as three young, confused individuals who don't really know for any better. Individuals who lack someone guidance and help to differentiate themselves from evil organization turning new leaf in their lives and pursuing other hobbies, careers they might be interested in.

Feeling like Rocket organization is the only place where they can find comfort, some sort of approval to their already messed up confidence and sense of being part of something not feeling useless.

Intended to play role of "bad guys" who couldn't be taken seriously delivering comedy, wacky situations and building some sort of suspense to pokemon plot from time to time.

Granted someone can become sick of this depending on their attention span or simply not liking such type of appeal and humor , but im ok myself with role James play in Pokemon. Enjoying in him, as well rest of Roket trio in Kalos series so far.