DISCUSSION: Episode N: Did the anime do the arc justice? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Episode N: Did the anime do the arc justice?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Episode N: Did the anime do the arc justice?

No!

The only reason I was even interested for it was the promise of Charizard vs Reshiram and the writers gave up a half assed plot that went nowhere and was solved by the same old fucking Pikachu friendship crap.

Blog Entries

I don't really think so. I thought the arc was pretty poorly put together in some places. I suppose the arc was supposed to streamline Team Plasma's plot by mixing together elements from BW1 and BW2 but it overlooks all the best aspects of Team Plasma. I really don't like their shtick of Pokemon liberation was nowhere to be found. I mean, anime Team Plasma is basically no different from Team Rocket. Minus Ghetsis manipulating N and Helena/Verbana, everything Team Plasma does in Episode N could be done by Team Rocket and nobody could spot the difference. Also, while freezing Ghetsis and friends solid and trapping them is kinda inspired, the show really didn't earn it. Ghetsis never even says one word to any of the main characters besides N. (But then again, the finale episode in general was disappointing)

I'll just quote another post I made about why I really don't like Episode N.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambipom666 View Post
    My answer got kinda long, so I put it in a spoiler. Brevity is not my strong suit.

I feel like the sequence we saw in Black and White was far more logical, meaningful, engaging, and climatic then what we got here. As for Black and White 2, I liked Team Plasma's role there less, but they were still pretty solid. Isn't it ironic how Team Plasma's presence probably has the greatest scope of all the villainous teams in the games, but their anime run doesn't reflect that at all?

I think Team Galactic had the best run of all the anime villainous teams. Why do I think that?

Don't worry, this isn't that long!
    I like to think Decolora Adventure was the best arc of BW, if only because it didn't have too many big events to mess up.
    Last edited by Ambipom666; 14th December 2013 at 11:57 AM.

3DS name: DuckNasch, Friend Code: 1177-7926-0353, Friend Safari: Doduo, Hoothoot, Fletchinder

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

While Episode N probably was my favorite part of BW, I don't think that it was handled all that well either. They ignored everything that made Team Plasma the most interesting out of all of the evil teams for me and turned them into a generic group that wanted to control Reshiram because of reasons. To be fair, it would be kind of difficult to pull in enough elements from the B/W storyline at that point of the series and I think that the sequels being last minute decisions threw a wretch into the works, but it was really lackluster to turn the group into such a generic bunch. The organization didn't even feel that large, despite having the resources to revive a bunch of Genesect, considering they had the same grunts present in most of the Team Plasma episodes. Ghetsis was a pretty much inactive until the last episode and even then that wasn't much.

They did get N's characterization from the games pretty well, which was nice, but seeing more of his character development on-screen, instead of doing that primarily off-screen, would have been nice He had moments where meeting others while traveling with Ash and his friends affected his view point, such as realizing that the Pokemon in that harbor patrol wanted to save people instead of just doing what they were ordered to do, and if there were more moments like that, it could have helped to make the arc more interesting. Doing that mostly off-screen kind of weakened his potential though. Colress's characterization was also kept fairly well.

The pacing was a bit lackluster too. They rushed through the League to get to Episode N, but then rushed Episode N to get to the Decolore Islands arc. The ending was pretty anticlimactic, especially when Charizard didn't do anything significant after they made a big deal about its return. The arc had some good elements and if it had a bit more time and better execution, it probably would have been a much stronger arc than it actually was.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodra View Post
    No!

The only reason I was even interested for it was the promise of Charizard vs Reshiram and the writers gave up a half assed plot that went nowhere and was solved by the same old fucking Pikachu friendship crap.
    This was 1 reason why I disliked it. Another reason is that Team Plasma was more like Team Low IQ and that Team Low IQ were back to being unfunny morons again. They should have used the BW1 Team Plasma plot instead of what we got and Team Low IQ should have never returned after Operation Tempest.

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnboy View Post
    This was 1 reason why I disliked it. Another reason is that Team Plasma was more like Team Low IQ and that Team Low IQ were back to being unfunny morons again. They should have used the BW1 Team Plasma plot instead of what we got and Team Low IQ should have never returned after Operation Tempest.
    I would have liked to see them use B/W Team Plasma plot instead, but it was just far too late in the series to adapt that storyline, especially when B2/W2 had already been out for quite some time by then. Plus, I think that it would have been difficult to cover that plot in one arc, especially if it would have been as rushed as Episode N turned out.

I agree with Robo-Floatzel, who said it was expiremental. I think, though it wasn't great, that it's really cool that the anime tried something like this. We've never had a true villain arc, while Aqua/Magma/Galactic did exist their stuff was mixed in with the main plot. I wouldn't mind the anime doing more stuff like this instead of just League/GrandFestival/Battle Frontier arcs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12