DISCUSSION: Episode N: Did the anime do the arc justice?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Episode N: Did the anime do the arc justice?

Default Episode N: Did the anime do the arc justice?

For the most part I think that the arc was handled very well. I was surprised to hear the anime bring up the whole idea about humans and pokemon being separated, especially with N's sisters. N himself was also handled very well although he could be a bit reckless at times (jumping in front of an attack and such.) Colress was the best thing to come out of that arc. I loved his entire character.

The things I didn't like as much were
    1, the random filler episodes thrown into the arc. Those episodes could have easily gone anywhere else in BW.
    2, Not going more into Ghetsis' and N's relationship. In the games Ghetsis is N's father but that's not mentioned at all in the anime. In fact the two didn't really speak that much anyway.
    3, The fact that Ghetsis barely did a thing. All he really did was awaken Reshiram. It was Colress who was doing pretty much all of the work.
    4, No mention of the other Seven Sages besides in a brief flashback, and even then they weren't mentioned, just shown.

Overall, Episode N was pretty much the best arc to come out of BW. It did feel really rushed towards the end but at least they actually gave N an arc of his own instead of just not showing him at all.

~Claimer of Pansage in the Claim a Pokemon thread~
    ~Claimer of Cilan in the Claim a Character thread~

G50
    Night Owl G50's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Episode N: Did the anime do the arc justice?

One thing I felt was done really well, was showing N's background and the way he was viewing Pokemon and battles when being with Ash and his friends. Colress and Ghetsis' personalities were displayed as very creepy, and I felt that it boded well for their characters.

I agree, Ghetsis could've used more appearances and involvement. Instead of mainly being used for the last couple of episodes and scolding everyone when they failed each time.

Blog Entries

Not as well as it could have, mostly because it got tacked on after the main BW adventure. I know TPTB had planned to do more, and Mother Nature threw a monkey into the wrench on that. Otherwise, we could have actually seen the conflicts that would drive N and Team Plasma apart, instead of relegating it to backstory. It would've also given more time to show N's beliefs changing with the aforementioned conflicts.
    You Might Be A Redneck If...

You think The Nutcracker is something you did off the high dive.
    You've ever smuggled food out of an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The original color of your carpet is an unsolved mystery.
    You've had more court dates than second dates.
    The closest you've come to royalty is eating at Burger King.
    You've ever stared at a carton of orange juice because it said "concentrate."
    You think a quarterhorse is that ride in front of K-Mart.

Blog Entries

I just wanted N to get animated, so I couldn't really be mad about the results. For someone who doesn't watch the anime often, I thought it was pretty good, and fulfilled my expectations (they weren't high though). Colress was honestly the standout, and his choice faces in the later episodes were hilarious. I also wish Ghetsis got more screentime too, but I thought it was fine for what it was.

One other thing though is that I wish they animated N better. I swear he looked awful for most of the scenes he was in.
    SammyW27 likes this.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by DracoMan
    I know TPTB had planned to do more, and Mother Nature threw a monkey into the wrench on that.
    Nope. There is absolutely no evidence that the producers of the animated series had anything planned for the Plasma-Dan after the banned two-parter.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

Not really. It was like the Producers just wanted to put N and Team Plasma on the show for sake of having them appear. There was a lot more they could've done with this storyline, but they treated it like busy work and/or pandering (which they didn't even do as much of as they should have).

The fact that the arc was so short in favor of moving onto Dregolore almost feels like evidence they were half-assing it...
    Last edited by SammyW27; 6th November 2013 at 11:20 AM.
    Being a fan means being unashamed of what you like, no matter what anyone else says

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DracoMan
    I know TPTB had planned to do more, and Mother Nature threw a monkey into the wrench on that.
    Nope. There is absolutely no evidence that the producers of the animated series had anything planned for the Plasma-Dan after the banned two-parter.
    The banned two-parter is what I was referring to. That's more, right? Though there is no way to know what else might've been planned.
    SammyW27 likes this.
    You Might Be A Redneck If...

You think The Nutcracker is something you did off the high dive.
    You've ever smuggled food out of an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The original color of your carpet is an unsolved mystery.
    You've had more court dates than second dates.
    The closest you've come to royalty is eating at Burger King.
    You've ever stared at a carton of orange juice because it said "concentrate."
    You think a quarterhorse is that ride in front of K-Mart.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Episode N was probably the anime's first attempt at an ongoing story arc that lasted several episodes and wasn't a tournament arc, and let's just say that it was, for a lack of better word, experimental at best. My only problems with it was that Team Plasma acted more like Team Rocket (outside the TRio) and little like they did in the games (BW1 or BW2), as well as ignored many aspects of them, the filler episodes that were shoehorned in for no real reason, Ghetsis barely having any focus, and his relationship with N barely being explained.

Had the original TR vs. TP episodes aired, Episode N may have been different, but we may never know at this point, for the damage has already been done, and Ash is already in Kalos, which has it's own villain team (let's hope Team Flare gets better treatment in the anime than Plasma did), so there's no going back at this point.

The anime should experiment more with ongoing story arcs in XY, which will help the anime improve from the repetitive tropes it's been trapped in for past seasons.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

No, it only made it worse. The arc was poorly written, and Team Plasma were nothing like they were in the games.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

It was a new attempt, and I'd say it was a good thing they experimented with Episode N, even if it wasn't well depicted in some ways. Some characters like Cheren and Ghetsis could had done more than just be there for the sake of existing. Other characters like Colress and N were well fleshed out (especially Colress, who reflected his game counterpart exceptionally well).

Episode N also shows how the Pokemon anime can be a good series with arcs focused around serious plots (Episode N was somewhat more mature in terms of topic) and still be popular with viewers of all ages. Moreover, bringing the game plot doesn't harm the anime in any way - in fact, it was refreshing to see plots and characters related to the main storyline of the games in the anime.

While it could have done better, Episode N was a good experiment done by them. I hope they experiment more and try new things often than just recycling old ways.

Follow PokémonJesus On Twitter

The N arc was decent I guess...there was nothing that bad about it but there was nothing that great either.

The last episode felt a bit rushed though.
    Follow me (PJ) on Twitter: @ThePokemonJesus

Ash and his buddies have been entertaining me since 1998
    ALRIGHTY! Until next time...PEACE!

Blog Entries

I liked the beginning and middle parts of it, but the ending was very rushed. I think it could have benefited from having a few more episodes and have the Decolora arc start a bit later.

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought it was the best part of the BW series, albeit thrown in just for fanservice. (and that Charizard episode with the flashbacks was fanservice on top of fanservice!) Team Plasma and the episode stories were much more interesting and entertaining than most of the cheesy fillers with bland plots in other arcs. N was handled very well and the anime writers kept him very close to his game character. The only thing that was different about him was that he didn't battle or carry his own Pokemon.

I don't think Colress was portrayed accurately though. In the games, he's a multidimensional, amicable character who's only interested in science and doesn't really like Ghetsis. In the anime, he's just a mad scientist with a possession ray gun working closely with his boss. Count me among those who think the ending was rushed. Decolore really didn't need to be as long. I wish they did more about N and Reshiram's interaction besides saying a few words.

Follow Kano On Twitter
    Follow Kano on Tumblr

I felt like it was the best part of Best Wishes, partially because it felt more like the games that I played, rather than entirely different story. That's why Origins was so awesome to me, I like it when things follow the games more and pay them that respect. I think that N and Ghetsis's relationship could've been done differently, but at the end of the day.. they animated N's story, and some of the things surrounding it, and that was very cool to me. I was really glad they did it, so I tried not to judge it too harshly.

this is how to be a heart breaker
    boys, they like a little danger.
    i la-la-la-la-love you. ❤

[S] The Prince is Awake.
    AKA Drew || tumblr || flavors.me || EGC

Call me Robert guys 1rkhachatryan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow 1rkhachatryan On Twitter Add 1rkhachatryan on Facebook Add 1rkhachatryan on Google+
    Visit 1rkhachatryan's Youtube Channel

Well since I could really care less about TP I would say it was okay.

The only thing I didn't like is that there wasn't even the Charizard vs Reshiram battle. Oh and I would of liked some more team updates and a few good battles for Ash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast