DISCUSSION: Dento/Cilan as a companion - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Dento/Cilan as a companion

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dento/Cilan as a companion

He was boring and annoying imo. He hardly got any focus at all and his goal wasn't really focused on either. His food puns got annoying and he sounded like a fangirl sometimes lol.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by PockyAddict View Post
    What cilan shared with brock is thier vague goals (breeding for brock and Sommelier for cilan) and thier suddenly changing occupations (brock to doctor and cilan to fisherman i guess). And i really don't think that it was handled all that well, it was brought up sometimes, but I just sorta wish that there was a explanation of how he got to that A-Class point.
    I don't think that Cilan changed his goal to becoming a fisherman like what happened with Brock becoming a Pokemon Doctor. He had been into fishing before and he just wanted to enter a random fishing competition in Hoenn. It was an extremely weak reason to get him to leave, but I didn't get the impression that he was changing his goals. Although, I still think that they forgot that he was a A-Class Connoisseur and his various hobbies throughout the series, as well as his reason to leave the cast, doesn't help in that regard.
    Team Gaara and PockyAddict like this.

Whoah, whoah, whoah. Although I respect everybody's opinion, no matter how much it differs from mine, I am a little surprised to see that so many people enjoyed Cilan. I, for one, found him to be a rather annoying character, with almost every sentence of his referring to the sense of taste. I am not sure how it was in the Japanese version, but in the English dub his voice was very unrealistic (although this same travesty occurred with basically every character after 4Kids lost the rights to Pokemon.) Cilan was just very... Disappointing, and one of the many factors that made me come to the conclusion that the anime has lost its magic since its debut in the nineties. I must agree that Brock was getting stale, as well as being eclipsed in importance, but they could have done many things to refresh his character rather than replace him. I mean, we could've given the poor bloke a girlfriend, for Pete's sake! And maybe I would have been fine with his replacement, if they put a little more effort into it rather than just make some bloke attention-grabbing solely by making him act like a fruitcake! I would, however, give Brock the boot in favor of Misty. Her absence was quite disappointing, even in the Advanced Generation, when the show still had that magic.

Name (as is): Johnny
    FC's
    White: 0262 1207 4516

Blog Entries

He was an idiot that said too much. Its like they combined every notable NPC (fishing guru, IV checker, friendship checker, ect.) into 1 character and gave it a ton of stupid puns. He also served no purpose other than being comic relief, which was a poor choice since Oshawott did a much better job filling this role.

Cilan was there, he made a stupid pun, he waisted time. Thats all I can say about every episode of BW.
    IGN: Jraken
    FC: 4227-2083-0655
    Ditto, Lillipup, Loudred

RP Story: World Without Legends (ongoing)
    PS- I hope you like nightmares. >}
    Story Registry: Signups

Call me Robert guys 1rkhachatryan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow 1rkhachatryan On Twitter Add 1rkhachatryan on Facebook Add 1rkhachatryan on Google+
    Visit 1rkhachatryan's Youtube Channel

See the problem with Dento was that the writers literally learned nothing from Brock. They just figured that oh, we got rid of him so problem solved, lets treat Dento and to an extent Iris, the same exact way, no one will notice.

That being said, I liked him in concept and his relationship with the rest of the gang and their chemistry was refreshing to see. His other plus was that his battles where a lot more dynamic then with Brock which made them more fun to watch.

In this case though, the negatives out way the positives with both him and Iris. This isn't there fault though, it's the fault of the writers who really didn't put very much effort into them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Araragi-hakase View Post
    Dento is one of my personal favorite traveling companions; he had a fun personality with many interests and a few memorable Pokemon. However, that's not to say that there are things that could have been improved about him.

Why was he so afraid of Choroneko, anyway? Do you think his goal of wanting to pursue fishing in the end was odd? Do you think his general goal of pursing being a Sommelier was handled well? Do you think he was a good traveling companion for Satoshi?
    Personally, I heard that the reason Cilian was afraid of Choroneko was supposed to be explained in the Plasma Unaired Episode.

Good potential, poor execution. His Sommelier goal should have been an actual quest but they made it just another gag. They should have given him an actual rivalry with Burgundy, but didn't - I liked her introduction episode, but they never went anywhere with it. And his reason for leaving was as flimsy as it gets, he might as well have said "My contract with this show is up now kbye."

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraa View Post
    He said he wanted to travel with Ash to study his "unique battling", but I don't recall him ever using any of Ash's techniques in battle. I also don't feel that he made much of an impact on either Ash or Iris during the journey.
    It didn't help that Ash didn't use his head much in BW, so his "unique" battling was more like generic battling.

I thought the episode with his brothers and Morana showed what could have been an interesting subplot. It was nice to get some backstory, and Cilan with his brothers is more interesting than Cilan by himself. They should have appeared more often. Morana could have been an interesting villain if she wasn't just a one-shot - they could have introduced her early and had an ongoing story about her trying to take over gyms. Cilan could have traveled with Ash to get stronger at battling and defeat Morana.

Strategy Begins At Home! Hinokou's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cilan was a very disappointing traveling partner, as well as character as a whole in the series. And that’s saying something.

To start, his reasoning for traveling with Ash made no sense. Just because he saw an Oshawott be commonly innovative with its scalchop, which isn’t surprising given the myriad of functions the Pokedex list that it can do, he decides that traveling the entire Unova region (as well as an archipelago later on) with its Trainer and outright abandoning his gym leader responsibilities is an enriching and plausible thing to do…Right. Not to mention, he had a goal already. That he had accomplished by the way. He wasn’t like Brock who developed his goal and eventual dream through his journeys with Ash or Tracey who decidedly settled down and found his calling at the end of his respective journey with Ash. Cilan was already a Sommelier as well as an accomplished Gym Leader! He literally gained nothing throughout his adventures with Ash.

His career itself was pointless to me. Not only did it not help Ash or Iris at any point of their journey, it also made no sense. If a Trainer wants to raise a Pokemon, they are going to do it regardless of the Pokemon’s feelings. So, what would he have told Ash and Charizard, Misty and Psyduck, Dawn and Mamoswine earlier when they were each experiencing difficulty in raising their respective Pokemon? You aren’t compatible, so go catch another one? There is a reason there are no Sommeliers in the games. Are you going to release that Giratina you just took over 30 Timer Balls to catch because some random stranger deems you incompatible? Right.

His outfit annoyed me too and took me a while to get over during the initial phases of BW. I mean, who travels in a waiter outfit? Wouldn’t you get hot? Why was this never questioned? And wearing all that white, shouldn’t it have gotten dirty? I never considered him a true traveler/adventurer.

The male-member-that-can-cook trope was established by Brock, so that didn’t add to his character. Nor did his annoying food references and puns. Especially in the dub version. If anything, it became overbearing and only hindered his character. It really felt as if he would use the same phrase or a variation of the same phrase to describe the same thing said by other people. And this ladies and gentlemen makes up 67% of Cilan's dialogue during his entire run in the anime!

His TASTING TIME routines roughly equaled: Cilan boastfully telling his opponent why he is going to win and they will lose OR Cilan boastfully praising himself and his Pokemon (both amount to him being an annoying douche). This is even lampshaded by Iris and her annoyed expressions/reactions.

His Pokemon party was disappointing. Pansage was his painfully clear favorite as well the one he actually interacted with/had a bond with. His other two experienced no character development during their time with Cilan, and barely any screentime. You would think the opposite given his small party. He also never acquired another grass type nor expressed any remote interest in the other grass types that he encountered. Which is something to be expected because…you know…him being a grass type gym leader and everything. Now if Cilan was the meek and shy character from his in-game counterpart, that would be understandable. But instead, he was the total opposite.

Yes he did have that skeptic, scientific aspect of him when the gang was in Nacrene City, but that was it. Never again was it substantially featured. I was very disappointed with this on writer’s part as well; they could have had the Skeptic Cilan vs. Superstitious Iris be a funny, key element/routine to the show as well as bond/feature between them as well as character development for Cilan.

And Cilan’s random myriad of Sommelier types as the plot called for were also ridiculous and pitiful (as someone mentioned earlier). They really did look like shallow attempts to give him characterization and depth. But alas, they were generally one or two episodes each and thus meaningless/unmemorable.
    All in all, the most forgettable and unimportant member of Ash’s friend troupe.

Oh.

Did I mention he got a shafted farewell and was randomly sent to Hoenn of all places? For a randomass, never mentioned before fishing tournament? What does that say about his overall legacy?

Shouldn't he be being an Unova gym leader?

Seriously, the writers could have handled him much better and especially articulate the opposite relationship he supposedly had with Iris (at the end of the day, they both resulted in being Ash's cheer duo) a lot more.
    Last edited by Hinokou; 13th February 2014 at 04:14 AM.
    A true friend freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, takes all patiently, defends courageously, and continues a friend unchangeably.
    -William Penn

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I didn't like him, he was a poor replacement for Brock, and he was annoying like many others have said before. He had an interesting backstory but they didn't execute it well, they focused much more on unfunny gags.

His gags were annoying. I can only think of a few that actually made me laugh. He was a fun character in the beginning but the writers kept making him say and do the same crap repeatedly throughout the series and it soon got tiresome.

also his Pansage is adorable and amazing and it's great I love Pansage

Blog Entries

Default Dento/Cilan as a companion

I liked Cilan. He added spice to the group that Brock didn't really have by the time he left. He had a lot of potential but he kind of fizzled out. It seemed like by the end he was just reduced to playing detective in rather uninteresting fillers and being really flamboyant (which is a not a bad thing by any means, he just kinda stagnated). garrison-san, Hidden Mew and Johtohfiller already said everything I was thinking on the topic. I really wish he had a bigger party, though.

Having him strive to be an S-class Sommelier kinda seems like a no-brainer but it never was shown. Oh whale.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinokou View Post
    lol, you're ranking Tracey above Cilan? I've going to assume that in the midst of your burning anger you completely forgot that Tracey existed, which is perfectly fine, because you can't be more forgettable than Tracey.
    Last edited by Ambipom666; Yesterday at 08:19 AM.
    Kanto's Route 23 doesn't exist in the Johto games!

My ideas for a more game-faithful Best Wishes! series.

The Jewel Party

Strategy Begins At Home! Hinokou's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ambipom666 View Post
    I liked Cilan. He added spice to the group that Brock didn't really have by the time he left. He had a lot of potential but he kind of fizzled out. It seemed like by the end he was just reduced to playing detective in rather uninteresting fillers and being really flamboyant (which is a not a bad thing by any means, he just kinda stagnated). garrison-san, Hidden Mew and Johtohfiller already said everything I was thinking on the topic. I really wish he had a bigger party, though.

Having him strive to be an S-class Sommelier kinda seems like a no-brained but it never was shown. Oh whale.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinokou View Post
    lol, you're ranking Tracey above Cilan? I've going to assume that in the midst of your burning anger you completely forgot that Tracey existed, which is perfectly fine, because who you can't be more forgettable than Tracey?
    Good point! Sorry, was just on a tangent at the time. Really don't like his character.

And p.s.

I really like your ideals for how Best Wishes should have gone about.
    A true friend freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, takes all patiently, defends courageously, and continues a friend unchangeably.
    -William Penn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12