Worst Isshu Gym Battle

View Poll Results: Worst Isshu Gym Battle?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Striaton Trio

0 0%
  • Lenora

2 5.00%
  • Arty

4 10.00%
  • Elesa

24 60.00%
  • Clay

0 0%
  • Skyla

2 5.00%
  • Brycen

1 2.50%
  • Hmoika

7 17.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Worst Isshu Gym Battle

Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

Default Worst Isshu Gym Battle

With BW soon coming to an end and the Worst BW Episode thread, I got in the mood to make a poll about the Worst Gym Battle for fun and venting. And boy, what a crowded, competitive contest it should be!

I'm gonna go ahead and go with the Elesa battle. Ash did one stupid thing after another and then won it all with a cheap one hit KO. To add insult to injury, Elesa was the one who learned a lesson
    Last edited by SammyW27; 24th June 2013 at 06:43 PM.
    Being a fan means being unashamed of what you like, no matter what anyone else says

Default Re: Worst Isshu Gym Battle

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez this is gonna be tough.

Striaton one was bad since Pikachu got his ass handed to him by a water type, and Tepig won despite only knowing 2 weak moves.

I can't even remember the Lenora one that well, though I seem to recall Oshawott landing a fluke Aqua jet for the win, so there's that.

Arty was awful. Sewaddle evolving mid solar beam assault, with no hint of any previous training under Ash was rediculous, and the fact that he didn't use his flying type in a bug gym.

Elesa was absolutely terrible. The only thing he did right was use Palpitoad. But then he didn't bring anyone else to the battle, he used Snivy against a female Emolga, didn't (or couldn't, because he was an absolute moron here) switch out Palpitoad, and then Pikachu was having a nut for not being chosen or something. Was just a giant crapfest.

Clay was the best Gym up until this point. Was also Animated beautifully. I would have handled his 1st 2 pokes similarly, although would have recalled Oshawott after he beat Krokorok. I recall a lot of complaint with the Snivy/Palpitoad battle. Mainly with the use of Attract for the thousandth time, and that is understandable, but honestly it was exactly what I would have done. Didn't like Roggenrolla evolving and learning rock smash for the win, seemed all too DEM for me.

Skylar battle was ok, and for the 1st time I was ok with a gym battle Evo. Plus Ash proving her wrong with her whole Sky battles thing was a decent plot point. Would have liked to see Krokorok get the win though.

Brycen battle was another good one. The way he beat Beartic was good ole creative Ash, plus it was Scraggy's first Gym. Only complaint was Scraggy landing a lucky focus blast shot. Otherwise was all good

The Rosie battle was unbelievably stupid in my opinion. This is the last Gym before the league, the last real challenge, where you're suppose to be on your A game (and before anyone says WJC, no, just no). And here we have Ash use 6 while she only uses 3, and it taking him all of his to beat hers, and she even healed one of his pokemon from poison. It made Ash look weak, definitely not league ready (though lets be honest, he came across in the league that way anyway). So its really a toss up between this one and Elesa.

I think I'll go with Elesa, because of Ash complete stupidity :)
    Hidden Mew, Shinneth and SammyW27 like this.

Blog Entries

Elesa HANDS DOWN WORST GYM BATTLE OF THE REGION. ALSO WAS THE WORST ONE IN HISTORY IN MY OPNION OK.

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

The battle against Elesa was the worst and pretty much disliked everything about it.

Ash spends hours supposedly coming up with a badass strategy that's supposed to destroy Elesa. Then it turns out that that strategy was to bring only ONE Pokémon to battle with. Ash has never only brought only ONE Pokémon to battle with for any gym battle.

The Palpitoad vs. Zebstrika battle was the only good battle in this episode. Ash had to leave the gym after Palpitoad fainted to get Snivy just to use attract, which failed. So either Ash forgot how attract worked, he didn't know Palpitoad's gender, or he forgot Snivy's gender (which would be ridiculous since there was a whole episode focusing on this). Also obviously Snivy's grass moves do nothing to Emolga so she faints and Ash ruins Snivy's first gym battle. Then Ash goes crazy trying to figure out which Pokémon to use against Emolga and we need Pikachu shock therapy to remind him of the strategy he's lived by since day one. Then Pikachu knocks out Emolga and later Tympole both with one hit each, which just let Pikachu basically be the hero of this entire battle even though Ash had other Pokémon that could have taken this position. Not to mention that Pikachu had previously won the Burgh battle for Ash.

I truly find this to be the worst gym battle in the history of the show.

Blog Entries

The battle against Elsea is particularly bad since Ash is supposed to come off as oh so competent but he makes several stupid mistakes along the way. It's like we're getting this message that this is the most we can expect out of Ash. (Thankfully, there are some battles later on the saga where Ash is genuinely competent, like his league battle with Stephan.)

The battle with the Roxie definitely takes the cake. If your answer to the question "Why can't Ash win in an even, unassisted fight, on his own merits?" is "Well Roxie is too strong", congratulations, you're figured out the writers made Roxie overpowered.

Some argue that 6-on-3 is perfectly fine since that's how it is in the games, but the anime has never done it this way before the battle with Roxie, and rightfully so. (Evenness allows skill to be better demonstrated, and prevents one from winning just by virtue of having more manpower.) I'm also scratching my head at how Roxie uses Pokémon and moves that Poison her opponents but then she turns around and cures said opponents because she thinks fighting them in their poisoned states isn't fun. She may as well avoid moves that Poison altogether.
    Last edited by Ambipom666; 29th June 2013 at 03:00 PM.
    Kanto's Route 23 doesn't exist in the Johto games!

My ideas for a more game-faithful Best Wishes! series.

The Jewel Party

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

This seems more fitting for the Contest section, so I'll move it there.

As for me, I think that Ash's battle with Elesa was the worst, followed by Roxie in a good close second. Ash spent a good portion of time trying to prepare for his battle with Elesa, but ended up relying completely on Palpitoad to the point where he didn't bring any other Pokemon with him besides it and Pikachu. That was just terrible. Using Palpitoad was a good move, but they just made Ash look like a complete idiot for thinking that he could defeat a Gym Leader's three Pokemon with just one. Leaving the field to go get Snivy was horrible and honestly, Ash should have been disqualified from the battle by that point for leaving the match. Plus, Snivy was a poor matchup for Emolga and Ash clearly didn't know what he was doing in that battle. Pikachu having to shock Ash in order for it to be used was annoying and I absolutely hated how it knocked out Tynamo with just one move after it was hyped up like it was her best Pokemon. It was just a horrible battle.

Roxie's match is a good close second because even with a huge advantage, Ash was down to his last Pokemon against Roxie's three Pokemon. It did make Roxie look like a strong trainer, which was most likely the goal so that kids would want to face her in B2/W2, but it made Ash look like he was no where ready for the Unova League and that his Pokemon were seriously underdeveloped. Giving Ash a huge advantage, healing Pignite's Poison status and then having the victory at the end come down to a lucky break with Pikachu's Static just made the whole battle unsatisfying, especially when they were just holding Ash's hand and giving him a badge that he really didn't deserve. I still think that Elesa's battle made Ash look much more incompetent, while the battle with Roxie made him look weak and unprepared for the Unova League, so that's basically why it's still the worst out of the Unova Gyms for me.

Blog Entries

I do not know why the Battle Against Burgh was horrible I actually thought it was a good Battle to me at least and what is up with the complaint about Sewaddle Evolving Ash Bonded pretty well with it in it's Debut to me at least AS WELL HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocadial View Post
    I do not know why the Battle Against Burgh was horrible I actually thought it was a good Battle to me at least and what is up with the complaint about Sewaddle Evolving Ash Bonded pretty well with it in it's Debut to me at least AS WELL HERE.
    The problem I had with that match was how cheap all of Ash's victories were. I could kind of go with Sewaddle's first victory, but then evolving to defeat Whirlipede and needing to be taken out by Levanny's Hyper Beam made it look much stronger than it actually was. Sewaddle did bond with Ash pretty well in its capture episode, but after that, they didn't really seem too close. Besides that, Sewaddle evolves into Swadloon by gaining experience, not by happiness, and Sewaddle didn't have any experience prior to its battle with Ash. It was just plain cheap.
    SammyW27 likes this.

Elesa's Gym hands down. It was bad enough they had some underlying message speaking against proper strategy that would've made the original series proud but turning Ash into a total moron and the general absurdity about the battles did it in for me. It didn't help this episode came after the absolutely horrid anime!Bianca and her father episode meant to further hype Elesa up but instead made me ask "who is this always happy and eccentric person?"

Worse off, was the part with Tynamo. I love those guys but I'm not so blinded by that to ignore they're NO WHERE NEAR that fast or heavy hitting. It was irritating to watch.

A good second is the Roxie battle meant to hype BW2 and ride off Roxie's large popularity after her reveal. They even had Eri Kitamura voice her so that's saying something. But the problem with the gym battle was... It made her look far better than she actually was (like at all), a raging ego maniac giving her pitiful opponents freebies to give her a good fight. It also did far more than make Ash look "far from ready for the league", it made him look weak and unprepared and plain out pathetic come the Season 2 since he (similar to his Kanto incarnation) did little to actually/actively improve upon his faults.
    Last edited by Isaac Gravity; 27th June 2013 at 02:43 PM.
    Hidden Mew and Shinneth like this.
    Pokemon Black FC: 2837 9558 6665. Player Name: Valens

3DS FC: 2466 - 3213 - 3790
    Friend Safari: Fairy: Kirlia, Spritzee, Floette

Blog Entries

I really can't decide, all of them were bad.

Pikachu losing to Cress at the Striaton gym was honestly unbelievable, especially after Oshawott defeating Pansage. Although Cress had a good strategy, it was still unbelievable after seeing Pikachu able to take down a Latios.

His battle against Lenora wasn't actually to bad, and his rematch win sat fine with me considering all the intense training he put in with Tepig and Oshawott. Burgh's battle was medicore at best. It's understandable that Tepig was taken out by Dwebble's rock type attacks, but having Sewaddle come in to take it out wasn't believe either. He was weak to both rock and bug type attacks, and than weak to poison when Whirlipede was brought out.

Elesa... I'm not going to touch that. All I'm going to say is shame on Ash for not using Roggenrola.

Ash's battle with Clay was ok, until the end. The fact that Boldore took out his Excadrill, who was hyped-up to be basically wipe out a whole team, was insane. Even after learning Rock Smash, I find it somewhat hard to believe. I honestly would have preferred that Scraggy was used here instead of Roggenrola due to it's type advantage against his Krokorok and Excadrill. It would have been smarter. His battle with Skyla was, in my opinion, his win to begin with in the 'Air Battle'. Krokorok had an advantage against Swoobat due to Dark > Psychic, and also having Stone Edge under his belt. Pikachu had already won the Air Match against Skyla's Swanna, which leaves the loss with Ash's Tranquil against Skyla's Unfezant. The battle was actually not bad, but having Tranquil having to evolve to beat Unfezant took some of the satisfactory out of that episode.

Brycen... I actually thought this battle was OK for the most part. Pignite and Scraggy did their job, and considering Brycen's Beartic had Aerial Ace, their loss was believable. Krokorok vs. Beartic... Well I honesty could have seen that going either way, so that win was fine for me.

And finally Roxie, we actually got some strategy out of Ash here, although it was limited. It would have been nice in this saga if Ash caught a Steel type he could have used here, but oh well, that's besides the point. Seeing static was actually nice considering how little it was shown throughout BW. Overall, I honestly found no problem with this battle, and I thought of it to be the most entertaining one as well.
    SammyW27 likes this.
    claims ~ greninja ~ dark aura ~ stick ~ sail fossil ~ rest

team black

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Probably this guy:

He's the most bland GL in BW.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Probably this guy:

This thread is about the worst Gym battle, not the worst Gym Leader. Personally, I liked Cheren. I thought that they did a decent job with his personality, but I also had really low expectations. The battle was pretty bad and still made Ash look like a weak trainer, but there wasn't any reason for Ash to win. It was strange that he wanted to battle Cheren, but showed no interest in battling Drayden or Marlon though.
    Burakeon and SammyW27 like this.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    This thread is about the worst Gym battle, not the worst Gym Leader.
    Didn't he battled with Satoshi?
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Didn't he battled with Satoshi?
    Yes and if you read my whole post, you would have known that I talked about the battle. The problem is that your post didn't even mention the battle, let alone explain anything about it, and simply said that Cheren was the most bland Gym Leader in BW. That isn't the topic at all and I was trying to point that out to you.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I can't decide between the battles between Elesa/Kamitsure and Roxie/Homika. They are both so horrible that it's just too tough to decide.

On one hand, you have the battle against Elesa where Ash acted more like a dumbass than ever before when he asked to get his Snivy. It was a slap in the face because it showed us the writers really had no intention of letting Ash grow and had really regressed him. *Facepalms*

On the other hand, the battle against Homika/Roxie is HORRIFIC. I'm sorry, even Ash showing us how stupid he has become again and how much he's devolved in intelligence is better than "hurdurdur I'm gonna scan a Dogasu/Koffing...I battled freaking Kojiro/James' Weezing and his Koffing prior to that asdfjkl; times!" That's not even the issue with the 8th gym battle I had. Seriously, Ash had 6, I mean SIX, Pokémon against Roxie's measly 3...THREE, people. THREE.

It was a SIX on THREE battle, and Ash STILL almost lost. Seriously, how friggin pathetic is that? One was a KOFFING! That's not even a strong Pokémon! >_> Even the battle against Elesa is decent compared to Roxie's.

So yeah, the battle against Roxie/Homika is THE worst in my book, but the battle against Kamitsure/Elesa is a VERY close second.

Probably this guy:

How could I forget about him? Oh, that's right, he's so bland I don't even count him! XD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast