CONTEST: Worst Handled Gym Leader?

View Poll Results: Most Underused Gym Leader in the Anime???

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Erika

3 27.27%
  • Koga

0 0%
  • Falkner

1 9.09%
  • Bugsy

0 0%
  • Chuck

0 0%
  • Wallace

1 9.09%
  • Marlon

6 54.55%
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Don
  • 1 Post By Yato
  • 1 Post By Hidden Mew

Thread: Worst Handled Gym Leader?

Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

Default Worst Handled Gym Leader?

Which Gym Leader do you think got the short end of the stick the most in the Show

I'm gonna go with Erika. Not only was she a COTD, but a bland one without much screentime either. She was nothing at all like her game or manga counterparts and was refused to fight Ash for petty reasons, only to GIVE Ash her badge. Sure, he saved her Gloom, but it still felt really cheap.

I know the producers didn't care much for the (non-companion) Kanto Gym Leaders, but--DAMN!

Following close behind is Marlon who was a glorified COTD who was only in half his episode and lost to friggin' Kotetsu of all people!

How about guys?

Time to show some sympathy towards Gym Leaders the producers certainly didn't care about. (And if you're thinking about someone not in the poll, feel free to talk about them to)
    Being a fan means being unashamed of what you like, no matter what anyone else says

Don
    Blog Entries

Follow Don on Tumblr

Default re: Which Gym Leader received the worst handling in the anime?

I have to say Marlon- Cameron's battle against him should have been a follow up episode with the second half of the previous episode focusing more on Marlon's character, plus the Gym battle could have had more time to be at least a three on three match. But nevertheless Cameron is strong and not a terrible trainer (he is decent at best) so there was nothing unbelievable about him winning and his Samurott was amazing in the way she overpowered Marlon's ace Pokémon, Mantine, so I can't be too bothered. Would've been worse if Marlon lost to a weak trainer.
    Last edited by Don; 30th November 2013 at 09:00 AM.
    Darth Darkrai, Yato and SammyW27 like this.

G50
    Night Owl G50's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Which Gym Leader received the worst handling in the anime?

I'd say Marlon, aside from the battle against Marlon there wasn't a lot of background on him shown which would have been nice. They could have dedicated half an episode to that and then have him battle. He pretty much just showed up on a Wailord with Ash and Cameron and then suddenly battled Cameron in a Gym Battle. There wasn't anything regarding him really leading up to it which would have been nice.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: Which Gym Leader received the worst handling in the anime?

Marlon.

1. He lost to Cameron - out of all the trainers available, friggin Cameron

2. He didn't have much screentime. Roxie, who had the fortune of battling Ash, was given a two parter. It may be due to Roxie was more marketable (everybody loves punk rockers), but Marlon looked as if he was shoved in to take up 10 minutes just to glorify Cameron. Heck, they should have given him a full episode. That battle wasn't even advertisement - if anything, it gave a bad impression that I wouldn't have bought the games if I watched only that episode alone.

Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Worst Handled Gym Leader?

Ho boy.

Having seen Chuck's episode, I now deeply regret putting him here (He was the most lively Jotho GL and the saga picked up after his episode)

Sorry, everyone, sorry! Just ignore that one

How does one edit a poll?
    Last edited by SammyW27; 28th January 2014 at 05:03 PM.
    Being a fan means being unashamed of what you like, no matter what anyone else says

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default Re: Worst Handled Gym Leader?

I'd definitely go with Marlon. He was only the focus for half of an episode and it felt like it was trying to glorify Cameron more than anything else, despite how weak of a trainer he is. He easily could have gotten a full episode dedicated to establishing Marlon's character and then going into the battle so that it wouldn't have felt like such a waste to throw him in for half of an episode. There wasn't much of a personality for him and his appearance felt pretty unnecessary beyond a bit more B2/W2 advertisement and showing Cameron getting his last badge.
    SammyW27 likes this.