CONTEST: Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's? - Page 4

View Poll Results: Which 'return arc' did you like best?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Misty in AG

    11 17.74%
  • May in DP

    45 72.58%
  • Dawn in DP

    6 9.68%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 74
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's?

  1. #46
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,217

    Default Re: Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    So? Neither May nor Dawn got more than an episode for "decent characterization" upon their return. Misty's interaction with Max was more believable than Dawn being so friendly with May or Iris.
    I don't see how that was more believable than Dawn being so friendly with May. They actually had a bit in common with being Coordinators, like with Misty and Max's issues as being the younger sibling giving something in common to them, and May was providing support and encouragement as an experienced Coordinator as Dawn tried to deal with her previous two defeats and entering the Wallace Cup. It was pretty believable to me. Though, I agree that it was more believable than Dawn being friendly with Iris since they practically became instant BFFs without much of anything in common to make their connection feel genuine and it just felt like they wanted them to be friends right off the bat, even though it felt rather forced to me.
    martianmister likes this.

  2. #47
    SHSL Gambler CrackFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,336
    Blog Entries
    114

    Default Re: Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    So? Neither May nor Dawn got more than an episode for "decent characterization" upon their return. Misty's interaction with Max was more believable than Dawn being so friendly with May or Iris.
    I don't see how that was more believable than Dawn being so friendly with May. They actually had a bit in common with being Coordinators, like with Misty and Max's issues as being the younger sibling giving something in common to them, and May was providing support and encouragement as an experienced Coordinator as Dawn tried to deal with her previous two defeats and entering the Wallace Cup. It was pretty believable to me. Though, I agree that it was more believable than Dawn being friendly with Iris since they practically became instant BFFs without much of anything in common to make their connection feel genuine and it just felt like they wanted them to be friends right off the bat, even though it felt rather forced to me.
    I agree. I think May and Dawn's friendship was very believable, the only problem I had with that meeting was Dawn beating May in the Wallace Cup. Certainly in my opinion Dawn's character changed a lot in her BW cameo. She was much more silly and childish than we saw her ever being previously. The bond with Iris, if it can be explained i'd say was the childlike 'boys are twerps' attitude they both shared, something that Dawn was previously, much too mature to go along with prior to BW.

  3. #48
    smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Making Gotham City Grin
    Posts
    6,789
    Blog Entries
    35

    Follow Enzap on Tumblr

    Default Re: Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's?

    I really enjoyed May's return because we really got to see how much she had grown as a coordinator and trainer. Also, she made for an interesting rival to Dawn. I don't really agree with their decision to allow Dawn to beat her in the Wallace Cup, since she had much more experience, but her appearance was overall enjoyable.

  4. #49
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,217

    Default Re: Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's?

    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I agree. I think May and Dawn's friendship was very believable, the only problem I had with that meeting was Dawn beating May in the Wallace Cup. Certainly in my opinion Dawn's character changed a lot in her BW cameo. She was much more silly and childish than we saw her ever being previously. The bond with Iris, if it can be explained i'd say was the childlike 'boys are twerps' attitude they both shared, something that Dawn was previously, much too mature to go along with prior to BW.
    While I didn't quite like Dawn beating May either, the Wallace Cup was built up as her comeback from her previous defeats and she barely defeated May's Glaceon, her Pokemon with the least amount of experience, so at least it made sense. Dawn acting more childish with Iris on the other hand was just so out of character for her, but they just really wanted to make those two instant friends, regardless of how that didn't make sense. Dawn's entire return felt so pointless in the grand scheme of things. All it did was give another person to praise Iris and have another character thrown under a bus for her Dragonite.
    Pokémon Master Ash and Enzap like this.

  5. #50
    SHSL Gambler CrackFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,336
    Blog Entries
    114

    Default Re: Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I agree. I think May and Dawn's friendship was very believable, the only problem I had with that meeting was Dawn beating May in the Wallace Cup. Certainly in my opinion Dawn's character changed a lot in her BW cameo. She was much more silly and childish than we saw her ever being previously. The bond with Iris, if it can be explained i'd say was the childlike 'boys are twerps' attitude they both shared, something that Dawn was previously, much too mature to go along with prior to BW.
    While I didn't quite like Dawn beating May either, the Wallace Cup was built up as her comeback from her previous defeats and she barely defeated May's Glaceon, her Pokemon with the least amount of experience, so at least it made sense. Dawn acting more childish with Iris on the other hand was just so out of character for her, but they just really wanted to make those two instant friends, regardless of how that didn't make sense. Dawn's entire return felt so pointless in the grand scheme of things. All it did was give another person to praise Iris and have another character thrown under a bus for her Dragonite.
    I've never been a Dawn fan but for those who were, I can see why they'd be disappointed by her BW cameo. She had a notably different personality, it just so happens that I preferred her new attitude over he DP one. In fairness, BW is a lot more laid back and silly than DP was. They had to change her character to suit the new feel of the show. I do think her return could have been a lot better though. In terms of developement there was almost none since we last saw her. Even a new outfit and an evolution would have been something cool. It did feel pointless.

  6. #51
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,217

    Default Re: Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's?

    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I've never been a Dawn fan but for those who were, I can see why they'd be disappointed by her BW cameo. She had a notably different personality, it just so happens that I preferred her new attitude over he DP one. In fairness, BW is a lot more laid back and silly than DP was. They had to change her character to suit the new feel of the show. I do think her return could have been a lot better though. In terms of developement there was almost none since we last saw her. Even a new outfit and an evolution would have been something cool. It did feel pointless.
    I don't think that they needed to change her personality to fit with BW. In my opinion, it's bad writing to change a character's personality just so that she could instantly click with another one, especially when the friendship between Iris and Dawn felt pretty artificial as it was. They didn't need to make her act out of character and that was one of the reasons I didn't like her cameo appearance. I would have preferred it if she had some new Pokemon, instead of the ones she had before, to show more of a growth of her skills. A new outfit might have been nice, but I don't mind that as much as Dawn's story actually have no progression and the most she did in her cameo was giving Iris another undeserved victory, which pretty much anyone could have done at that point.

  7. #52
    SHSL Gambler CrackFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,336
    Blog Entries
    114

    Default Re: Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I've never been a Dawn fan but for those who were, I can see why they'd be disappointed by her BW cameo. She had a notably different personality, it just so happens that I preferred her new attitude over he DP one. In fairness, BW is a lot more laid back and silly than DP was. They had to change her character to suit the new feel of the show. I do think her return could have been a lot better though. In terms of developement there was almost none since we last saw her. Even a new outfit and an evolution would have been something cool. It did feel pointless.
    I don't think that they needed to change her personality to fit with BW. In my opinion, it's bad writing to change a character's personality just so that she could instantly click with another one, especially when the friendship between Iris and Dawn felt pretty artificial as it was. They didn't need to make her act out of character and that was one of the reasons I didn't like her cameo appearance. I would have preferred it if she had some new Pokemon, instead of the ones she had before, to show more of a growth of her skills. A new outfit might have been nice, but I don't mind that as much as Dawn's story actually have no progression and the most she did in her cameo was giving Iris another undeserved victory, which pretty much anyone could have done at that point.
    Well true, she didn't necessarily have to change but with the contrast of Ash's changed persona, coupled with Iris and Cilan's zany antics, if she'd have been her usual self, she would have seemed rather boring. You speak about Dawn's cameo just being another opportunity to advance Iris, I agree and I have to say that this is pretty much how I felt about May's loss to Dawn. May appeared and all her past efforts and accomplishments were underminded by a novice, in comparison at that point. Dawn hadn't been training anywhere near as long as May had. It just seemed like a cheap way to make Dawn's character grow a little and become stronger at the cost of belittling May's capability by having her lose to an amateur co-ordinator, which Dawn was at that point in time, compared to May.

  8. #53
    Color me Colorless. Chime Nume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    In a snowglobe.
    Posts
    114
    Blog Entries
    4
    Follow Chime Nume On Twitter Add Chime Nume on Facebook Add Chime Nume on Google+
    Follow Chime Nume on Tumblr Visit Chime Nume's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's?

    As much as I love Misty and everything about her I prefer May's return arc better. We got to see here interact with Ash again, and we got to see her without Max. I like her without Max. Her arc was by far my favorite because it was a contest arc instead of some useless fillers. Misty's return arc was alright, but I didn't enjoy it. I also hate Dawn so I hated it every second when she was around again.

    Ever Grande City. The most amazing forum on the internet! Come on down and join EGC today!
    Banner made by me.



  9. #54
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,217

    Default Re: Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's?

    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Well true, she didn't necessarily have to change but with the contrast of Ash's changed persona, coupled with Iris and Cilan's zany antics, if she'd have been her usual self, she would have seemed rather boring. You speak about Dawn's cameo just being another opportunity to advance Iris, I agree and I have to say that this is pretty much how I felt about May's loss to Dawn. May appeared and all her past efforts and accomplishments were underminded by a novice, in comparison at that point. Dawn hadn't been training anywhere near as long as May had. It just seemed like a cheap way to make Dawn's character grow a little and become stronger at the cost of belittling May's capability by having her lose to an amateur co-ordinator, which Dawn was at that point in time, compared to May.
    I don't know if Dawn would have seemed boring. Though, it probably helps that Ash's changed persona and the zany antics from Iris and Cilan doesn't really make them interesting, even though Cilan's behavior at least makes him entertaining to watch. Plus, she could have played the straight man kind of figure out of the group and her reactions could have made her entertaining, kind of like her reaction to Cilan giving an evaluation during their battle. While Dawn was a novice at that point, I don't think that beating May was anywhere near as bad as Iris defeating Dawn. They built up the Wallace Cup as Dawn's comeback from her previous two defeats, May was offering her emotional support and encouragement, Piplup was battling Glaceon, the Pokemon with the least amount of experience, and she barely won even with Piplup, who was then her strongest Pokemon. It was a believable victory and it made sense for Dawn to win. They wouldn't have made her lose three Contests in a row, at least not with the way they were handling the Wallace Cup arc, and as much as I like May, it wouldn't have made sense for her to win story-wise. It didn't undermind her past efforts and accomplishments when she lost by an inch of a point. If she was using Blaziken or Venusaur and still lost, then I could understand being more upset about that, but when she was using Glaceon, who hadn't been in a Contest battle since evolving, it was okay. Plus, barely being able to defeat May showed that she was still strong and Dawn was quite lucky that she was able to lower her points just a bit more to get the victory. If Dawn had won by a large margin, then I could understand being more upset with beating May, but as it was, it was believable and didn't make either one of them look especially weak in favor of the other.

    Dawn vs. Iris didn't do anything like that. It didn't advance either Dawn or Iris's storylines, it made Dawn look like a weaker trainer when her Mamoswine couldn't do much damage to Dragonite, despite the huge advantage it had, and all that battle accomplished was giving Iris a completely undeserved victory. It was just a terrible battle all around, although every battle in the Junior Cup was bad to begin with, but this match did nothing but make Dragonite look unbeatable by easily taking down two fully evolved Ice type Pokemon. There was absolutely no reason why Iris had to win, unlike with Dawn when she battled against May, and it was just a horrible way of making Dawn lose. It was much worse than when Dawn defeated May.
    Last edited by Hidden Mew; 23rd April 2013 at 11:12 PM.
    Shinneth and martianmister like this.

  10. #55
    smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Making Gotham City Grin
    Posts
    6,789
    Blog Entries
    35

    Follow Enzap on Tumblr

    Default Re: Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's?

    As annoying as Dawn got in DP, I was surprisingly relieved to hear that "No need to worry!" piercing my ears again as opposed to "You're such a little kid."


  11. #56
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's?

    The problem with Misty's return is it was too short, and Dawn's return had potential but she was treated like an afterthought in the tournament.

    I also don't understand why Dawn didn't have any updates on her journey, she didn't get any new pokemon or evo's and only 3 of her pokemon got decent screentime. Likewise not giving her a single important win at the Junior Cup was ridiculous.

  12. #57
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,217

    Default Re: Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    The problem with Misty's return is it was too short, and Dawn's return had potential but she was treated like an afterthought in the tournament.

    I also don't understand why Dawn didn't have any updates on her journey, she didn't get any new pokemon or evo's and only 3 of her pokemon got decent screentime. Likewise not giving her a single important win at the Junior Cup was ridiculous.
    I thought she was treated as an afterthought throughout her return. She barely had any presence in some episodes before the tournament, such as the Dragonite capture episode. I would have liked for at least her Buneary to evolve or to finally learn a fourth move. She didn't really do well in the Junior Cup either since she only defeated one or two characters in a brief clip of everyone else defeating nameless characters, so that didn't really help her. She could have defeated Iris instead of losing, especially when Iris didn't need to defeat her and advance to the semi-finals.
    Shinneth likes this.

  13. #58
    SHSL Gambler CrackFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,336
    Blog Entries
    114

    Default Re: Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's?

    I think Dawn was jipped in a lot of ways during her return but I don't really think she was ignored. She took quite a predomanant place in the group, befriending Iris and the two of them became the centre of attention almost. They had the Onix episode which was based on their bonding and they shared a lot of moments which were designed to make the audience laugh. So they didn't disregard her. It would have been worse if she hadn't of bonded with Iris and stayed in the background saying nothing. They had her make an impression on the audience as well as Iris and Cilan. The only thing her return was lacking was any real substance. Something that made it more meaningful.
    Tsutarja likes this.

  14. #59
    ポケモン Tsutarja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,346
    Blog Entries
    564

    Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

    Default Re: Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's?

    To be honest, each 'return' arc had some really, really great moments. Misty's return featuring Togepi evolving and Misty being badass with her Gyarados was awesome. May's return featured some great contest battles while Dawn's return arc made for some pretty enjoyable interactions with the main cast (especially Iris) and other supporting characters as well as some cool battles.

  15. #60
    Registered User CyberCubed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: Who's return did you like best: Misty's, May's, or Dawn's?

    May's was probably the best of the three, Dawn just stood in the background most of the time in hers and there weren't any tournaments for Misty to participate in

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •