CONTEST: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn? - Page 5

View Poll Results: Which was more annoying?

Voters
244. You may not vote on this poll
  • No need to worry!

    39 15.98%
  • You're such a kid!

    139 56.97%
  • Both were equally annoying

    38 15.57%
  • Neither

    33 13.52%
  • I can think of an even more annoying catchphrase

    40 16.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 191
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

  1. #61
    Easy listening Masurao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,313
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth View Post
    ... And now that it's been explained, from my perspective it's still out of place for Iris to call Ash a kid for that.
    True, I honestly don't see how that is being childish but hey I guess Iris expect a fellow 10 year old to go around acting like he's an adult for some reason.

  2. #62
    Registered User Paulisthebest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Veilstone City
    Posts
    1,090
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

    Some have mentioned why only these two catchphrases; well because they are from two main characters that travel around with Ash. I was considering adding Trip into the mix, but I think it would be best to only include the girls that Ash seems to have more hot and cold "relationships" with (except Misty and May as they didn't have standout catchphrases though May would say "Awesome!" a lot).

  3. #63
    SHSL Gambler CrackFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,342
    Blog Entries
    114

    Default Re: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

    May would say "Awesome!" a lot).
    For me it's not really the catchphrase's themselves but they way the VA delivers them. I never liked Dawn's VA and I hate Iris's even more, they made Dawn sound annoying and Iris, sound really bitchy. The reason May (she did say 'awesome a lot) didn't bother me was because Veronica Taylor had a knack of delivering her lines so sweetly. I always thought she made her character sound very cute, and thus, didn't ever annoy me.

  4. #64
    Registered User Paulisthebest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Veilstone City
    Posts
    1,090
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    For me it's not really the catchphrase's themselves but they way the VA delivers them. I never liked Dawn's VA and I hate Iris's even more, they made Dawn sound annoying and Iris, sound really bitchy. The reason May (she did say 'awesome a lot) didn't bother me was because Veronica Taylor had a knack of delivering her lines so sweetly. I always thought she made her character sound very cute, and thus, didn't ever annoy me.
    I find that an interesting way of looking at it the words aren't important like the saying its not what you say but how you say it.

    May's Awesome didn't bother me haha funny how it did to Max. And yes Iris sounds just the way you described her.

  5. #65
    Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Kentucky. The boonies.
    Posts
    1,224
    Blog Entries
    29

    Default Re: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

    May did have a catchphrase; it was just never really given an English equivalent. Haruka had the word "kamo" as her catchphrase, which I recall having a bit of a flexible meaning depending on how you're using it, but the easiest analogy I've heard for it is "kinda". Generally, it's a statement when you're trying to express uncertainty or unease with what you're saying, which suits May well given that, unlike Dawn, she showed her insecure side much more often, and didn't really go out of her way to cover it up most of the time. Like Dawn, that catchphrase was perfect for Haruka both for her identity as a character as well as her character development. I'm not sure why 4Kids never made a proper English equivalent. I'm pretty sure "awesome" was not the replacement of "kamo", however.

    I assumed Dawn's was the only other catchphrase listed here because it's the only other one that really stands out as far as the main cast is concerned. Sure, you could say Ash has "I choose you!" or that Paul has "Stand by for battle!", but those are better considered as battle cries than catchphrases (such as "Take the stage!"/"Spotlight!" for May and Dawn's Contests). Closest thing Paul had to a catchphrase was whenever he used the word "pathetic" (which I think is more or less in tune with the Japanese equivalent... what was the word Shinji used a lot then... tsukenai or something?), but again, it doesn't stand out quite as much since Paul's not a main-group sort of character. Barry fining people can definitely be considered a catchphrase... but that was always awesome since it highlights how delightfully retarded Barry can be. But again, Barry wasn't a full-time Ash partner. Thinking back to Misty, Brock, and Max, I struggle to recall any real catchphrases that remained consistent at any point.

    I will agree the dub definitely does not help making Iris any more tolerable with her condescending bullshit, but it still grates me in the Japanese version just through the meaning behind it all alone. It's sort of like how I utterly despise Dawn's Piplup, but found Pochama to be marginally more tolerable if only for the much less annoying voice, but when the time came and both of them had that crying scene at the end of DP that seemed to last an eternity, I hated both iterations of that scene and both versions of the character for it. So when it really came down to it, the dub/original differences don't really have much bearing on my general opinions. Be she Japanese or English, Iris and her catchphrase suck all the same.

    Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

  6. #66
    Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,224

    Default Re: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

    "Kamo" is a verbal tic, not a catchphrase.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

  7. #67
    Hero in a Half Shell Duckgon Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Detroitish
    Posts
    1,968
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

    I really think Iris's catchphrase is supposed to be annoying. I mean she's a child calling another child a child because he's an idiot hero. Hell, she'll probably still call Ash a kid in the League and beyond, even when he wins matches. I think that's the whole point, she's an immature kid that wants to be and acts like she's so much more mature, and even if you are that has nothing to do with raising Pokemon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    A lot of people point out that Pikachu beat Regice and is therefore super powerful, but I tend to ignore that because it was such a bullshit victory. That wasn't a showcase of how powerful Pikachu had become; it was simply terrible, terrible writing.

  8. #68
    Red
    Red is offline
    The Best There Is Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Mt. Silver
    Posts
    224
    Blog Entries
    48
    Follow Red On Twitter Add Red on Facebook Add Red on Google+
    Visit Red's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

    You're such a mother fucking kid! I just can't stand it! What with that freaking Axew in her hair and all that crazy shit going on. Iris is one fucked up fruit loop.
    Y: COMING SOON
    BLACK: 4213-4161-1545
    SOULSILVER: 3741-1763-4063

    -You're really irritating.
    -Does irritating mean 'fun'?

  9. #69
    FIGHT CHANCE ♥ Trainer G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

    "You're such a kid!"
    Damnit Iris, if you just knew Ash's past, you wouldn't say so. Or at least; show some respect!

    Everything is possible.

  10. #70
    Registered User Afrojisiac-19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cerulean City, Kanto
    Posts
    569

    Default Re: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

    There's no point in Ash telling Iris his past, he's still ten, and that alone show's that he's still a kid...Besides, Dawn's phrase may not have been said as much, but there were some episodes where Dawn said hers like, over and over...I just saw "League Unleashed" this morning, and during Ash's battle with Nando, she said "No need to worry" like three times, all in one episode...that's annoying...

  11. #71
    Advanceshipper ADVluv4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Neb. City, NE
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

    I really just think she needs to give him a bit more respect, and stop pestering him when he does something 'out there'. I mean she questions him about EVERYTHING he does, pretty much, doubting him so much that it just...bugs me...

    That is why I just can't put up with her lines that much, I don't dislike her as a character...it's just when she says that line, or gets on him about strategy/skills it makes me go to the 'negative side' because she may know all of this- but she can't do anymore then Ash can.

    Especially with the Pokemon she has (one that doesn't listen and one that can't use it's attack correctly) she needs to do more practicing before she bugs Ash about anything.

    I just watched the first episode she met Ash in- she called him a kid 4 times...that's not okay with me...
    Last edited by ADVluv4life; 18th April 2011 at 08:28 PM.
    ~ADV


  12. #72
    cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    9,688
    Blog Entries
    145

    Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

    Default Re: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

    Again, though, Iris isn't a mean-spirited person. She's definitely not calling Ash a kid because she wants to hurt his feelings or anything. It's just part of her personality; she's teasing him because it's fun. It's exactly what Misty used to do, only more subdued. Maybe it'd bother me if Ash was shown to be bothered by this, but he honestly doesn't seem to care at all.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

  13. #73
    Reader and Writer Legacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,395
    Blog Entries
    65

    Default Re: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

    I voted for Iris. I don't really get the insult because at 10 years old, both she and Ash are kids and not really old enough that being called "a kid" should be taken as an insult.

    I mean, sure I can see it if you are calling a 16 year old "a kid," meaning you think he or she is immature. But calling a 10-year-old a kid, really is an odd insult since they are kids.

  14. #74
    Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Kentucky. The boonies.
    Posts
    1,224
    Blog Entries
    29

    Default Re: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

    Quote Originally Posted by Insanish Danish View Post
    It's exactly what Misty used to do, only more subdued.
    It's exactly what Misty used to do, only less justified. Considering, y'know, Ash stole and trashed Misty's bike and was a bonafide moron oblivious to the wonders of his own home region and a newb to battling to boot. The most Ash did to Iris was throw a Pokeball at her head since his 'Dex was sensing an Axew.

    And honestly, I don't anyone can fault Ash for thinking Iris' hair might've been a Pokemon. Plus, he apologized. Iris accepted it, and... since then she's just been following the guy (for no real established reason at all) and scolding him for the weakest of reasons. Even if Iris doesn't know of Ash's past accomplishments (which pretty much destroys Iris' "justification" for picking on him in the first place), she can't not know that Ash is a foreigner from a far-off land and thusly knows little to nothing about Unova because of this. Perfectly good reason for Ash to be a little ignorant of this new region, right?

    Yet Iris continues to bypass that and call him a little kid anyway, be it for not knowing what a random Pokemon passing by is, where a city is or what it's like, and not even knowing what certain buildings are. And then really out-of-left-field things like the aforementioned "exercising during the storm" thing.

    See, with Misty at least it came off as innocent bickering for comedic relief because there was justification behind the criticism of Ash and his actions. It just isn't amusing or funny in the least to see the ignorant and needlessly critical one get away with giving Ash the crap he honestly doesn't deserve. Could they not think of a better way to conjure comedic relief? Like I said, Dawn's catchphrase was simple and flexible enough to be appropriate for almost any situation. For every case with Iris... sorry, she just comes off as an annoying brat with a serious case of needing to zip it.

    Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

  15. #75
    mientes Aestivate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,059
    Blog Entries
    1

    Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

    Quote Originally Posted by Insanish Danish View Post
    Again, though, Iris isn't a mean-spirited person. She's definitely not calling Ash a kid because she wants to hurt his feelings or anything. It's just part of her personality; she's teasing him because it's fun. It's exactly what Misty used to do, only more subdued. Maybe it'd bother me if Ash was shown to be bothered by this, but he honestly doesn't seem to care at all.
    Exactly this. It would be something if Iris is intentionally mean-spirited, but a lot of her "kodomo ne's!" are played for laughs and nothing more. A childish girl (who is all of 10 years old) merely teases her equally childish friend (who is also all of 10 years old, years of traveling not withstanding). It's easy for little kid to tease another little kid that she knows barely a thing about. Satoshi doesn't care, and he's ready and willing to tease right back. It's endearing, not disrespectful. Iris is introduced as a completely able character except when it comes to battling. And so as Iris is revealed more, the teasing has sharply come to a decline. The initial brattiness that she portrayed was off-putting even to me, but then again, she's starting to show development and back-story... and respect. She doesn't blatantly put Satoshi against the sun and the moon like Dent does, but it's clear that as BW progresses, she too is starting to realize Satoshi's battle prowess. It's made very apparent that she doesn't tease him specific to his battling, unless it's something completely out of left-field - remember, at the beginning of BW, neither Dent nor Iris knew that Satoshi had this.. preference for putting type disadvantages up with each other.

    And I don't know where a lot of you are gathering the fact that in BW029 Iris kodome ne's Satoshi because he's exercising. In context, it's actually completely justified - In the beginning of the episode, Satoshi is incredulous about Iris being able to "smell" rain and says "If you're right, I'll stand on my head." And obviously Iris is right. So Satoshi stands on his head, as promised. Iris' response is basically "that was really unnecessary/there's no need for that... how childish." BECAUSE IT IS.

    So, no, I don't think anyone's verbal tic/catchphrase/battle cry is annoying perse, but at least Iris' is used blatantly to show how her character progresses...

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •