CONTEST: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn? - Page 4

View Poll Results: Which was more annoying?

Voters
244. You may not vote on this poll
  • No need to worry!

39 15.98%
  • You're such a kid!

139 56.97%
  • Both were equally annoying

38 15.57%
  • Neither

33 13.52%
  • I can think of an even more annoying catchphrase

40 16.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    How the passage of time changes things.

I remember back in 2006/2007 when DP first started, everyone was saying how they liked Hikari saying, "Daibouju" or whatever the hell its spelled, and, "no need to worry."

I guess I'm the only one here who remembers how hyped Dawn/Piplup were back when DP first started. Back then it seemed like everyone approved of anything Dawn did.
    It's "Daijobu," and yes, people did seem to like Dawn and Piplup back in 2006 when they were just fresh. It wasn't until mid 2008 until Piplup "evolved" from a main character's starter pokemon to being the second mascot. Therefore, in situations where Piplup had gotten himself into trouble, Dawn would often console him by saying "No need to worry."

Dawn uses her "catchphrase," so to speak, only when she herself is nervous or to calm somebody down. This is mainly in situations where Dawn is competing against other coordinators or trainers that appear to be intimidating and powerful.

Iris, however, seems to say her catchphrase in almost every single one of her appearances. With little else for the writers to go by, Iris has been relegated to Ash's fault-picking coach. Iris always attacks Ash for being naive, overexcited, anxious, or making a crucial mistake. Iris had also called Trip a "kid" as well. This goes to show that Iris would simply call anybody a "kid" if that person was to do something she didn't approve of.

I actually loved it when Dawn said "No need to worry," because it is something an ordinary person might say to calm themselves down. Dawn was expected to fill her mother's shoes as a Master Coordinator. It had been established in early Advanced Generation that if a coordinator is nervous, the pokemon can sense this and not perform to its best ability. Dawn clearly went through a lot of stress as she evolved from a beginner coordinator to almost a Top Coordinator.

Blog Entries

I';ve heard back to basics too many times. But it wasn't annoyign as the "pathetic" line spoken by a certain purple haired individual

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Honestly, I think anything is better than Barry's In-Game "THUD!!!!!"

But seriously, I voted for against Iris. Her phrase is dumb.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I ranted about this before, but obviously I voted Iris' catchphrase being the annoying one. Actually, I don't have a problem with Dawn's; it's a simple and flexible phrase that can be used in many situations without coming off as random and/or forced, and the catchphrase itself was an important aspect of Dawn's character, established right in the first episode and remaining consistent through the end. It had a place in her character development, and even though I grew to be very bored and indifferent of Dawn as DP went on, if nothing else they made good use of her catchphrase and I can't recall a single time it annoyed me. It highlighted Dawn's initial overconfidence and hidden insecurities, namely.

Iris, on the other hand, has a catchphrase that serves to be nothing more than the weakest form of comedic relief (it's a struggle to even call it that), it's repetitive as Iris abuses it multiple times in a single episode, and more often than not it's completely uncalled for. While Dawn's catchphrase symbolized legitimate character traits and quirks, Iris' does little more than make her out to be a xenophobic, unjustifiably elitist, needlessly critical jerk. It'd be one thing if Ash's actions called for this, but really, 98% of the time they don't. If Iris is calling him a little kid for not knowing what a random building in a city he knows nothing about in a region he knows nothing about - for very good reasons - not to mention just out of left field BS like him exercising to pass the time while a storm is going on... really, honestly, it makes Iris extremely hard to like. It's even harder when it's made obvious that Iris knows even less of what the hell she's doing than Ash does, despite her major superiority complex. Add that in with her whiny defeatist attitude and despite that she still calls Ash a little kid, then... yeah.

I really do hope this faster pacing makes BW ultimately a much shorter series, because I don't think I could bear almost 200 episodes of Iris' snotty catchphrase. Really... it's not even funny. Like, at all. So whatever angle they're going for this catchphrase does nothing but make Iris very hard to like and relate to. I'd be happier if they dropped it at some point; I just don't see it having the kind of impact that Dawn's catchphrase did for the long term.
    Johtohfiller likes this.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Getting straight to the point:

When Iris says 'You're such a kid.' it literally gets me pissed off. First of all she doesn't know what all Ash has been through to get where he is. He has gone to so many regions already while she just got an Axew from her village, wherever it is, and it can't even use it's Dragon Rage correctly (I'm not wanting to insult Axew, but seriously, she should be taking care of that before insulting Ash). Ash may look her age but he has many years of traveling/experience/talent behind him and deserves, I repeat DESERVES, her respect whether she likes it or not. Until she's been through 1/2 of what he's been through she shouldn't be able to tell him that.

I feel so much against that line...UGH it just ticks me OFF...

BUT Trip's 'Basic.' line which I actually heard for the first time last week gets to me so much more. He's in the same boat as Iris in the long run. I'm not going to comment on him much since I really don't know much about him, but that line and the 'Booney' lines also push me over the edge.

I would take Dawn's 'No need to worry.' any day. You may be able to tell she is nervous, but at least she is trying to keep herself and/or others strong.

I hope I didn't sound too angry in this post, but those really do get to me.
    ~ADV

Blog Entries

@ Shinneth

Actually I was wrong about the exercising thing. In the sub, he apparently made a bet with her that if it actually rained he would walk on his hands. He did't believe her instinct. When it actually rained he admitted he lost, and carried through with the bet. She said he was being a Kid since he didn't have to go through with it.

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

I think people are taking Iris's catchphrase too seriously. She's just teasing Ash for fun, it's not like she's saying it because she's a mean person or anything.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Blog Entries

Iris's catchphrase grates on my ears. I mean, "No need to worry!" is short and sweet. Not to mention Dawn uses it appropriately too.

But "You're such a kid!" just sounds so grating to me. Not to mention 99% of the she uses, it is unjustified.

Not to mention, Iris's catchphrase makes her seem like, well kind of a dick.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Welcome to the New Age... yourlilemogirl's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow yourlilemogirl On Twitter
    Visit yourlilemogirl's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Samurott View Post
    Iris is more annoying because she's flipping insufferable about it. True, Ash is not the most rational person, but he still proves effective. Now Iris may have proven that she does know something, but that still doesn't mean she can call Ash out when he is not familiar with Unova. Dawn may have been trying to hide her own worries with her phrase at times, but it at least is supposed to make you feel better. Iris is just...hateful.
    this by a landslide >:| Iris's catchphrase makes me constantly want either Ash or I to slap her upside the head and tell her to STFU D:<

Click to see my Trade Want/Offering Thread(:

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Masurao View Post
    @ Shinneth

Actually I was wrong about the exercising thing. In the sub, he apparently made a bet with her that if it actually rained he would walk on his hands. He didn't believe her instinct. When it actually rained he admitted he lost, and carried through with the bet. She said he was being a Kid since he didn't have to go through with it.
    ... And now that it's been explained, from my perspective it's still out of place for Iris to call Ash a kid for that.

For people who think we're being too critical of Iris' catchphrase, do consider that she does abuse said catchphrase quite a bit, most of the time it's for no good reason, and it does nothing to further her own character; only to establish that she's a... well, you know. A variety of derogatory words.

For having to watch the show and listening to that alone, that's more than enough reason to be annoyed with both the catchphrase and the character.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Stars, Rainbows and Stars Chronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Iris' catchphrase, for reasons that have been stated countless times already.

Rock of Ages! Zenax's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Zenax on Tumblr

"No need to worry!" made me want to punch a wall.

Blog Entries

I agree with most of the comments talking about Iris. See, I would say “You’re such a kid is!” is annoying perhaps even more than Dawn’s phrase.

However, when that phrase rubbed off to Ash saying “When you say that, that’s when I worry the most!” it was very annoying because first off that was her mom’s saying but Ash saying it was ridiculous to me. Then Ash started saying it as well (No need to worry!), I preferred when they just exchanged their high fives instead of catchphrases.

Iris’ phrase is annoying and hypocritical because she’s a kid herself not having a Pokemon that obeys her aside from an Axew that is still in training and then her other Pokemon that doesn’t listen to a thing she says except for “Return!” to its Pokemon ball haha.

Not counting her most recent catch that is a Pokemon that plays with others emotions and steals apples and food.

All in all her catchphrase is more annoying because at least when Dawn says no need to worry she has good reason too aside from Iris scolding Ash just to be mean. I know some of you say that she’s not that bad but still I don’t know if she’s saying it to be mean, playful or flirt but its too much.

Blog Entries

Neither, I liked each of their's :D
    "Cause Everytime we Touch, I get this feeling, and everytime we kiss, I swear I can fly! Can't you feel my heart beat fast, I want this to last, need you by my side!"-Cascada

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Ironic thing about this thread, pretty much every character in the anime, in some point, is said and will say Hikari's catchphrase. Even current Japanese OP had her catchphrase...
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast